Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

stevejobscovertiteled-500x340.png

Fortune reports on comments from Steve Jobs biographer Walter Isaacson suggesting that he may not yet be finished working on the book, with Isaacson currently considering several ideas for expanding the authorized biography. Among the ideas are an addendum more fully describing the events surrounding Jobs' death in early October or adding extensive annotations to the existing content to flesh out the story with additional information.
The author discussed potential plans for expanding the already 630-page book in the future. One possibility is doing an extensively annotated version. Another is writing an addendum that addresses the period surrounding Jobs' death. Fleshing out the details seems like a logical next step, since Isaacson believes the Apple (AAPL) CEO's story will be told for decades or a century to come. "This is the first or second draft," he said, referring to his book's role in documenting Jobs' life. "It's not the final draft."
Isaacson's biography of Jobs recently became Amazon's best-selling print book in 2011 and named the company's best-selling new release of 2011 for combined print and digital sales, both remarkable achievements given that the book was not published until late October.

Article Link: Walter Isaacson Considering Expanding Steve Jobs Biography

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I'd prefer to know more about Steve as a family man. His family was barely mentioned. I don't expect him to grill his youngest on how dad was, but you can interview his oldest and wife more.

I thought the biography was below average.

StefSSU

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2009
London
First or second draft? This isn't a textbook. I hardly think Steve would have been too happy with an incomplete biography...

Especially after hearing John Siracusa's thoughts on it I'm pretty disappointed with it, with exclusive access he really missed the chance for some key questions and directions to take some of their conversations imo. The initial chapters about Jobs' early life were enlightening though.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I feel he needs to tighten it up first -- it's too repetitious. Then once he gets it down to the 200-300 pages of content it *really* has, perhaps add some technical content.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Given that I was moderately happy, but not thrilled, with the first edition, I would never pay for the addendum. As John Siracusa said, 'Jobs picked the wrong guy.' I hope he eventually open sources his interview so that someone with better technical curiosity can dig deeper.
But I'm curious... will the iBooks version automatically download the updated version? I'd even consider it fair to offer the addendum as an 'in App' purchase if reasonable.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
If he updates it and I get my iBook version updated that would be cool. I haven't finished reading it yet, but if he has more stories to tell I'd love to hear it. :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Milk it for all it's worth.

I thought maybe I was the only one whose first response was - update the next edition, sell more books. Seems he has found his life's work.

In total fairness (me, be fair??!!), if there is more necessary information to be provided, I guess he's the one to do it.:)

StefSSU

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2009
London
I feel he needs to tighten it up first -- it's too repetitious. Then once he gets it down to the 200-300 pages of content it *really* has, perhaps add some technical content.

This. Especially in the latter half it seemed to be going back and forth every chapter. I was stunned to see him tackle the biography on a "product" basis. Felt he really dropped the ball there and just didn't really understand what was significant about him. Repeating elements like his "Reality Distortion Field" in particular made it seem as though he was struggling for content near the end. Unacceptable really given the nature of the person he was writing about.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

He should hand over his interview tapes to someone who knows how to spell OS X correctly.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
I would certainly like to see this happen.

My biggest issue with this book was it was pushed out a little too quickly, probably to capitalize on Jobs' passing. Unfortunately, that meant that the book was not complete and did not mention Jobs' death and the reaction to it, which would wrap the book up nicely.

Also, if this does happen, hopefully the author will take into account the criticisms of the book and clean up some of the incorrect technical aspects of the book.

Otherwise, I quite enjoyed the book and finished it in 8 or 9 days.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
If he updates it and I get my iBook version updated that would be cool.

I have wondered about this with other books -- particularly current-events books that typically have a new chapter or a new afterward in the paperback edition that was not in the hardback edition. Also, publishers might want to use it to correct a typo or factual error in a book, though I hope they would use an asterisk to show what they changed.

When Richard Wolffe's "Revival" came out in paperback with a new afterward, the publisher released the new afterward as a stand-alone $.99 mini-ebook called "Revival 2.0," which I thought was a great thing to do.

If owners of the original ebook got the update for free, that would be even better.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
I just finished the book a couple days ago, and I found it pretty interesting. I do think that, as a reader who knew Jobs eventually passed away from the illness he was trying to hide, that it could be addressed in a grander and more thorough scope. It would have been nice to have that entire story arc as one long chapter.

I did find that Job's own personal statement about his legacy was particularly touching. You could see, in the raw, a man that felt he had a lot to offer humanity. It was clear that egos be damned, and his family would even suffer from is inattentiveness. But he would end up influencing the world in a way few people ever have. He really is in select company.

What I find the hardest to come to terms with, concerning his personality, is his rudeness. I think he could have been just as successful without scathing person attacks. I think a lot of people might point to that and say "see, Steve was an ******, so that's how good businesses are built." But I think it's more complex. I think he could have been just as effective, making hard decisions and giving people "bad news" without the intentionally wounding comments. But, sadly, that is how he probably insulated his own extremely insecure inner person from the world. He didn't know any other way. That doesn't mean it can't be done any other way. And that last summary of his life, in his own words, at the end of the book really brought to light why. It's worth the read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.