Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 29, 2005, 01:21 PM   #1
Gary King
macrumors 6502

Why does no one have an eMac?

Why are the eMac's so rare? I remember seeing a poll here with about 0.5% of people who have an eMac. That's pretty discouraging
Gary King is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 01:25 PM   #2
plasticparadox
macrumors 6502

CRT perhaps. Although I would think that would be a plus to designers. I don't know much about design hardware, but I'm told that LCDs distort colours slightly.
plasticparadox is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Daveway
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Daveway
They are mainly used for education environments and most people here are more towards the power-user side which incorporates faster processors and flat panel displays.
Old May 29, 2005, 01:44 PM   #4
Willy S
macrumors 6502

Probably because it has a CRT and a G4. Nevertheless it performs pretty well against the iMac G5 if you took a look at cnet review of the 1,25Ghz eMac. The eMac isnt fancy either as the iMac.

Im thinking about an eMac as a second computer that is even better for Photoshop than my iMac. The eMac is a solid and tested design and I would expect them to last for a long time. Durability is a great issue if advances in the computing technology will only be very incremental in the near future.
Willy S is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 02:15 PM   #5
deryk
macrumors regular

I own an eMac

I have an eMac and I am quite happy with it. It has been a very solid computer for my needs (email, word, internet, minimal games). I am purchasing a powerbook soon because I am starting an online granduate program and travel frequently with work. If I didn't have to travel, I would stay with my eMac for a couple of more years. My next upgrade would have most likely have been to an iMac because I do want the slimmer form factor.

Deryk
deryk is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 02:20 PM   #6
Mord
macrumors Demi-Goddess

probably because anyone geeky enough to post on macrumors saves up enough to get a mac cooler than an emac, though the current emac is pretty kick ass this will probably change.
Mord is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 02:24 PM   #7
ITASOR
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ITASOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector
probably because anyone geeky enough to post on macrumors saves up enough to get a mac cooler than an emac, though the current emac is pretty kick ass this will probably change.
Tons of people on MR have a Mac Mini which costs less than an eMac.
Old May 29, 2005, 02:51 PM   #8
sjpetry
macrumors 65816

Because it's huge compared to any thing but the PowerMac.

Size/Performance

Plus the Mac Mini is faster. And a lot of people have Crts ling around anyways.
sjpetry is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 03:05 PM   #9
zap2
macrumors 604

i think that the people who buy emacs are buyung a computer, not a mac. What i mean is when i got my mac it really changed me, i come to mac forums, i spend more time on my computer, then any windows computer ever. I think the more % of emac owns only bought a computer(nothing super special) I do not mean that all emac uses do not come to mac forums
Old May 29, 2005, 03:57 PM   #10
chv400
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to chv400
As soon as i get enough money I'll be getting an eMac as my new main computer to replace my B&W. The only thing that will keep me from getting an eMac is if apple puts a 64 MB Core Image GPU into the mini. Or someone offers to sell me an MD Power mac that has a 166 mhz FSB.

Last edited by chv400; May 29, 2005 at 04:00 PM.
chv400 is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 03:57 PM   #11
shadowmoses
macrumors 68000

Its probably beacuse:

1. It doesnt look as good as any of the other macs.
2.It is not flexible enough in terms of exansion, unless you want to start opening the thing up which most average users arent prepared to do.

That said the eMac is a great computer and especially with its new updates it is a super buy.
shadowmoses is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 04:00 PM   #12
homerjward
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to homerjward
i gots an emac, although admittedly im "upgrading" this summer
its a great computer; does everything i need it to and more, and i really don't mind the crt. heck, right now i'm running it at 1024x768 to see if that's usable enough as my only screen, cause if it's not i wouldnt get a portable this summer. (i concluded yes) but if you do that with a lcd (step down its resolution) it looks really crappy
oh, another awesome thing about the emac--16x dl-capable superdrive via a firmware flash
Old May 29, 2005, 04:01 PM   #13
Mord
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITASOR
Tons of people on MR have a Mac Mini which costs less than an eMac.
the mac mini is so damn cool and small, the emac is a giant AIO CRT, somehow it's not quite so cool to have as a second mac.
Mord is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 04:44 PM   #14
Willy S
macrumors 6502

My wife thinks the eMac to be rather large for our tiny appartment and I think that the monitor's resolution could be better. Apart from this I think the eMac is a great computer.
Willy S is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 04:45 PM   #15
tangerineyum
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to tangerineyum
i like my emac

i think it serves its purpose quite well, i bought mainly for my mom, but it acts as a storage faclity for anything that doesnt fit on my ibook. when the ibook gors in for repair everything is baacked up to the emac and my ipod. The superdrive comes in very handy for the little bit of home authoring that i do. It was perfect to fill the performance gap between my ibook and any future g5 i may purchase in the next 6 months.
Old May 29, 2005, 05:06 PM   #16
furryrabidbunny
macrumors 6502

i have an eMac... and i don't think it reflects your "power user" status. I got mine (about a year and a half ago) because it was a better deal. I could get a eMac with a faster processor (at the time) than a g4 iMac, with a superdrive, and more ram, and a larger screen, then the then current g4 iMac for the same price. For 1200 (yes i overpayed in today's standards) i got a one ghz processor, which was very fast for a mac at the time that wasn't in the pro line, a superdrive, 512 memory, and a 17 inch screen. A 15 inch g4 iMac at the time for the same amount of money came with 256 ram, smaller hd, a combo drive, and the same processor. Granted the iMac looked better, but the eMac was a lot better deal.
furryrabidbunny is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 05:32 PM   #17
amholl
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to amholl
Its a great,durable machine, but if u go wit the 799, u might as well go witha pimped out mini and if ur gonna go wit the 999 one, u might as well go for a low end iMac. I am thinking about an eMac to replace my aging G4 800 iMac, but only because it has the same grfx as the iMac. Most games should play on a 1.4 GHz G4.
PB G3 500 MHz
amholl is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 05:54 PM   #18
RacerX
macrumors 65832

I know lots of people who own eMacs... it is just that none of those people are the type of people who post in Mac forums. They use Macs but Macs aren't a big focus of their lives. These people have different priorities, and their computers need to just work and not cost an arm and a leg... the eMac fits that type of person perfectly (I know I've considered buying one on more than a few occasions).

I think it shouldn't be over looked that the vast majority of Mac users aren't like the people frequenting these boards.

I don't know about anyone else here, but the reason I spend as much time on Macs and Mac related subjects is because that is how I make my living. I don't think I could justify spending as much of my time and energy on the subject if it wasn't paying the bills*.

* Which is why I got into this business to begin with.
RacerX is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 06:02 PM   #19
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpetry
Because it's huge compared to any thing but the PowerMac.

Size/Performance

Plus the Mac Mini is faster. And a lot of people have Crts ling around anyways.
The old eMac was at least equal to the Mac mini (faster hard disk). The new eMac is a lot better in a few features (GPU/VRAM, Hard Disk, RAM slots, etc).
Old May 29, 2005, 07:07 PM   #20
iBunny
macrumors 65816

They are too big for not enough power.

Plus CRT is old school now. Yuck.
Mid 2010 15" MBP / i7 2.66 / 8GB RAM / 120GB Vertex 3 / Hi-Res Glossy/OS X 10.7
iBunny is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 07:18 PM   #21
dotdotdot
macrumors 68020

Because the eMac may be the worst computer to buy for your money now.

I have seen 20" CRTS for under $100, so a Mac mini and a 20" CRT = $600, $700 if you want the one comparable to the eMac.

You save about $100 - and who doesnt have a spare keyboard/mouse in their house? And a small, USB mouse can go for about $20 and a keyboard for about $30 and you've saved money already for the same deal as the new eMacs.

The only thing is the video card in the eMac is much better now... Rev. B mac mini will fix that.

I honestly can't see the eMac around by 2006.

Plus, the eMac still uses the White/Black Apple logo, its an OLD computer design and a pretty bad computer to buy now. Plus, if you want it to be USABLE you'll need to up the RAM...

With the eMac if the monitor goes, the computer goes as well. With the Mac mini, if the monitor goes, then "Hell yeah! I'm getting a 23" Cinema Display!!!"

The eMac is, however, very valuable for students... no wait, the iMac is - smaller for a dorm, etc.

Basically, the eMac is becoming more and more obsolete each day.
dotdotdot is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 07:18 PM   #22
Willy S
macrumors 6502

Ive noticed that there is much of a misunderstanding going on with the CRTs. Many people think they are worse for your eyes than the LCDs but its not true unless you are working with less than about 80hz.

The CRTs have still more accurate colors and they take more space and dont look as good. I had a great CRT that got fried from my PC and I miss it when Im working with photos. But it took a lot of space in my small appartment...
Willy S is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 07:26 PM   #23
Willy S
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdot
Because the eMac may be the worst computer to buy for your money now.

I have seen 20" CRTS for under $100, so a Mac mini and a 20" CRT = $600, $700 if you want the one comparable to the eMac.

You save about $100 - and who doesnt have a spare keyboard/mouse in their house? And a small, USB mouse can go for about $20 and a keyboard for about $30 and you've saved money already for the same deal as the new eMacs.

The only thing is the video card in the eMac is much better now... Rev. B mac mini will fix that.

I honestly can't see the eMac around by 2006.

Plus, the eMac still uses the White/Black Apple logo, its an OLD computer design and a pretty bad computer to buy now. Plus, if you want it to be USABLE you'll need to up the RAM...

With the eMac if the monitor goes, the computer goes as well. With the Mac mini, if the monitor goes, then "Hell yeah! I'm getting a 23" Cinema Display!!!"

The eMac is, however, very valuable for students... no wait, the iMac is - smaller for a dorm, etc.

Basically, the eMac is becoming more and more obsolete each day.
Well, I agree on the Mini. It needs an update before I buy one. And CRT are dirt cheap these days.

The Mini is the lowest end right now and the price point is more important than the graphics card for Apples business. Therefore, Im not so sure that they will upgrade it soon.

If I buy a new iMac rather than eMac in Europe with students discount, I would have to pay 62% more for the iMac...and I'm only after a second computer.
Willy S is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 07:29 PM   #24
dotdotdot
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy S
Well, I agree on the Mini. It needs an update before I buy one. And CRT are dirt cheap these days.

The Mini is the lowest end right now and the price point is more important than the graphics card for Apples business. Therefore, Im not so sure that they will upgrade it soon.

If I buy a new iMac rather than eMac in Europe with students discount, I would have to pay 62% more for the iMac...and I'm only after a second computer.
But in the longrun, which would you rather have? The blazing fast 1.8 GHz G5, or the "barely hanging in there" 1.42 GHz G4 - 256 MB or 512 MB for RAM - 80 GB or 160 GB for HD space.
dotdotdot is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 07:49 PM   #25
Willy S
macrumors 6502

I already have the iMac G5 and it is really nice. I think that eMac would last for some time, it should be able to run the Tiger replacement and so on. It is 1.42Ghz and is a solid and tested design. You can be pretty sure that a design flaw will not turn up suddenly after our warranties have expired etc.
Willy S is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers