Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old May 29, 2005, 01:30 PM   #1
Gary King
macrumors 6502

How upgradeable are Macs?

How upgradeable are Macs? Such as me being able to add my own components, and is it cheaper to do things myself? I hear that the Mac Mini is pretty tough to install new RAM?

Also, for new hard drives, is it better to get an extra internal drive or a external firewire drive? Such as the Mac Mini?
Gary King is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 01:36 PM   #2
iGary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary King
How upgradeable are Macs? Such as me being able to add my own components, and is it cheaper to do things myself? I hear that the Mac Mini is pretty tough to install new RAM?

Also, for new hard drives, is it better to get an extra internal drive or a external firewire drive? Such as the Mac Mini?
You can upgrade just about any Mac you want, including the Mac Mini; it all depends on your technical and mechanical abilities as well as how well you work with small things.

Most anyone can do a RAM install on a mini, if they follow the instructions and take their time. Other upgrades require increasing skill levels.
iGary is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 01:40 PM   #3
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

On the Mini, plan on an external firewire drive. Replacing the 2.5" internal drive is moderately difficult and relatively expensive because it uses a laptop drive.

The RAM is about the only thing you want to be upgradeing inside the Mini.

You will probably want to get a USB2.0 hub, as the Mini has only 2 USB ports.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com
CanadaRAM is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 02:07 PM   #4
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Except the graphics cards. The Mac Mini, iMac, and eMac do NOT have upgradeable graphics cards, only the PowerMac does.
GFLPraxis is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 03:45 PM   #5
stevey500
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to stevey500 Send a message via MSN to stevey500
The powermac G3 and G4s have upgradable Processors, Ram, Video, PCI Expansion and overclocking capabilities... The powermac G5s I know the Processors are removable but I don't know about upgradable *-)...
Old May 29, 2005, 04:11 PM   #6
dmw007
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary King

on the mini-

-RAM is pretty easy to pop in. (open case, remove old dimm of ram, install new dimm, close case)
-The hard drive and optical drive are a little harder but not impossible.
-Just be very careful when you are upgrading your mini- if you break anything you will have to pay Apple to fix it. Applecare will not cover anything you break inside the mini while you are snooping around.
dmw007 is offline   0
Old May 29, 2005, 04:26 PM   #7
dotdotdot
macrumors 68020

The most upgradable: PowerMac. - Upgrade almost everything
The second most: eMac - The right skills can upgrade this thing from a bad computer with a CRT to a great computer with an LCD... if you know how
The third most: iMac
The hardest: All laptops, mac mini - Only RAM is the easy one, everything else gets tricky.

THE BEST VALUE AND WHAT WONT NEED UPGRADING CURRENTLY: iMac G5
dotdotdot is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers