Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Shivetya
macrumors 65816

Can we use any ATI drivers in bootcamp

I am have a new to 2011 iMac with 6970 and wanted to know which ATI drivers were best in some of the current games and if there were restrictions as to which I could use
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Just download the latest ones. You can do this conveniently in Steam.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Shivetya
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
Just download the latest ones. You can do this conveniently in Steam.
Do we have to use the ATI drivers targetted to bootcamp or can we make use of any ATI driver? Never downloaded drivers in Steam, can't even seem to find where to start.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Hansr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivetya View Post
Never downloaded drivers in Steam, can't even seem to find where to start.
File -> Download drivers.
Hansr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Shivetya
macrumors 65816

and Steam simply sends me to the ATI page ... which if I follow the prompts for Mac Graphics - Bootcamp gives me a package from January 2011.

Should I choose a different path?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

That's out of date. You want this.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Maverick513
macrumors member

You can use any ATI driver. The newest official version is 11.12, though you can try 12.1 Preview as well. I recommend 11.11c performance driver.
Maverick513 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:47 AM   #8
Shivetya
macrumors 65816

OK, Cougarcat got me somewhere I haven't seen before which is a good thing. Now I need to determine availability of 11.11c there.

Thank you
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:48 AM   #9
sk zen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
That's out of date. You want this.
Can anyone else verify that these work?

tried downloading this (i had 11.9 installed) and in catalyst control it still lists 11.9 as the current drivers.

Last edited by sk zen; Dec 22, 2011 at 01:08 AM.
sk zen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:05 AM   #10
spcdust
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk zen View Post
Can anyone else verify that these work?

tried downloading this (i had 11.9 installed) and in catalyst control it still lists 11.9 as the current drivers.
I regularly update my ATI Drivers and only last night installed the latest one which are 11.12 Preview Driver (These include the 11.11c Performance Tweaks).

ATI 11.12 Preview Driver and catalyst Controller

I would download and Save this set of drivers onto your Desktop and then do the following:-

It's always worth uninstalling the current drivers in Windows before installing new ones to avoid conflicts), this article may be helpful:

How to uninstall pre-existing graphics card drivers from a Microsoft Windows based system.

As a belts and braces approach after the initial reboot after uninstalling the current drivers I also use this program to get rid of any remenants of GPU drivers (after running this program just do a second reboot prior to installing the new drivers):

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

After rebooting Windows will be running a basic VGA display driver, now you should be able to install the latest ATI Driver / Catalyst Controller from the package you earlier downloaded onto your Desktop. After that one more reboot and you should be fine.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:32 AM   #11
sk zen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcdust View Post
I regularly update my ATI Drivers and only last night installed the latest one which are 11.12 Preview Driver (These include the 11.11c Performance Tweaks).

I would download and Save this set of drivers onto your Desktop and then do the following:-

It's always worth uninstalling the current drivers in Windows before installing new ones to avoid conflicts), this article may be helpful:

How to uninstall pre-existing graphics card drivers from a Microsoft Windows based system.

As a belts and braces approach after the initial reboot after uninstalling the current drivers I also use this program to get rid of any remenants of GPU drivers (after running this program just do a second reboot prior to installing the new drivers):

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

After rebooting Windows will be running a basic VGA display driver, now you should be able to install the latest ATI Driver / Catalyst Controller from the package you earlier downloaded onto your Desktop. After that one more reboot and you should be fine.
ty i'm trying to download driversweeper right now but i can't, i'm just sent to the bottom of the page. I don't know what to do when the note says to stop using my download manager and avoid right clicking on files...

Going to use the sweeper from: http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

edit: i've heard horrible things about the phyxion driver sweeper so i'm going to stay away. any idea why i'm unable to dl the guru sweeper?

Last edited by sk zen; Dec 24, 2011 at 06:01 AM.
sk zen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:37 PM   #12
jkmags
macrumors member

Quote:

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

I just went out to AMD's website and downloaded the latest video drivers for my iMac, I ran the windows score and my Video rating went from a 6.0 to 7.6. The only thing is, i cant remember if i ran it originally in VMSphere as that seems like a decent bump for updated drivers.

Ive got the i7 with the 2gig video card and i did not uninstall the drivers prior, I just ran the installer from AMD.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:45 PM   #13
lewdvig
macrumors 65816

seems a new version of this thread gets posted every few days LOL

Is searching in a forum is tougher than installing new drivers?

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/mobili...12-2011-a.html
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:03 PM   #14
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivetya View Post
and Steam simply sends me to the ATI page ... which if I follow the prompts for Mac Graphics - Bootcamp gives me a package from January 2011.
Use the latest Windows drivers, a Mac running Windows under Boot Camp is, for all intents and purposes, now a PC.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:00 AM   #15
PaulKemp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What driver are you using today? Im having some issues with Skyrim. Using catalyst 12.9 beta.

edit: I do not have any issues in Windows 7. Worked out fine!

Last edited by PaulKemp; Oct 28, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
PaulKemp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games