Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
I'm getting a macbook air for christmas as a second computer and want to put my last license of MS Office on the air.

Obviously since there's no cd/dvd drive I would have to spend 80 bucks to get the superdrive and I don't want to spend that just to use it one time.

My question is, would the new dvd/cd sharing feature work to get office on the air? I would be using my iMac's drive to do this.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
If you want to have an external optical drive for your Air, you don't have to spend $80 on the Superdrive. Most of the $30 portable drives sold for Netbook computers work fine on the Macbook Air.

(Note: I haven't verified this, but have read here that the Apple DVD player application may not work with non-Apple drives for watching movies from the disk. There are alternate players which will work fine (i.e. VLC) for playback. )

-howard

larmende

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
Just download the trial version from the MS Office side and then validate by typing in the key.
I haven't done the key bit yet, but MS Office trial works perfect.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Just download the trial version from the MS Office side and then validate by typing in the key.

I did this for my wife's MacBook Pro. We bought the computer and ordered Office 2011 from Amazon. In the meantime, I installed the trial from MS. When the disk came, I just put in the key and it worked flawlessly.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

That is exactly what I did as well. I could have shared the drive on one of my other Mac's, but this method was convenient. I did the same with Lightroom, Aperture and a few other programs.

gmccj

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
Actually, you can buy a download version from Amazon and if you ever need to reinstall, it's available on the Amazon server under your account.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Buy the Superdrive and return it after you're done with it (well you can buy any drive, even the generic ones from Best Buy or Amazon for much less than the Apple one that only works on the MacBook Air and Mac mini server).

Alternatively you can use another computer, but for me that never works.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Yes, you can easily install MS office on it.

Another option, if you perhaps only need a more advanced text editor, is to download openoffice.org

BTW, you are talking about the mac version, right? For the windows version you need to install windows firts

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Buy the Superdrive and return it after you're done with it (well you can buy any drive, even the generic ones from Best Buy or Amazon for much less than the Apple one that only works on the MacBook Air and Mac mini server).

Alternatively you can use another computer, but for me that never works.

I did just that. Actually, I purchased an open box (SuperDrive). Since it had been opened, I didn't feel that bad having to return it had it been a new one. But, I've decided to keep it. I've been using it quite a bit when renting movies on the go.

Does anyone know if the Office for Mac is a product key or an actual disc inside the box? I have the trial version for 30days. I will definitely need to purchase it after the trial period.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Does anyone know if the Office for Mac is a product key or an actual disc inside the box? I have the trial version for 30days. I will definitely need to purchase it after the trial period.

The retail box has both the disc and the product key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.