Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Mfnd
macrumors member

Listening to ATV2 without the TV on???

I am finding it very frustrating that it dosnt seem possible to listen to music on apple tv without having the TV on. Is there a way around this?

I have the HDMI going into my audio amp then into my television. I thought this would mean the speakers would still get the signal without the tv being on but when I turn the tv off the music stops playing.

I have alos tried using the optical out but same thing.

Anyone know how you can do this as its really annoying to have to sit and watch the album cover and time code when listening to music aswell as a waste of all the energy powering the TV for no real reason!

Any help greatly appreciated!
Mfnd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:05 PM   #2
theloon
macrumors member

Looks like it's fixed in 4.4.3

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4448

Audio output Addresses an issue in which audio may not play through the optical port when the TV is turned off.

4.4.4 out now too
theloon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 02:11 AM   #3
Devie
macrumors 6502

Another method is to actually go through your TV menu's and actually turn the display off. Its usually in a energy saver menu. Both my Samsung and Sony panels have the function.
I use it quite a lot, at night when I need to get to sleep and cant, I have the tv playing something from ATV, turn the display off and have something to listen to.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:41 AM   #4
Mfnd
macrumors member

Cheers for the help, have the latest software but the optical still cuts out when TV is off. The HdMI is working with the TV in Eco mode though, didn't think of that! Just a pain going through the menus every time.

Cheers again
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:10 AM   #5
mike457
macrumors 6502

I don't know whether this will work for you, but I find that with my Sony-Yamaha combination, when I turn off the TV, the ATV goes into pause mode. Pushing the "play" button the remote gets it started again.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Mfnd
macrumors member

Wish I had tried that before-didn't think of that but it works. Just turn off tv then press play/pause again.

Cheers
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:40 AM   #7
techchallenger
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfnd View Post
I am finding it very frustrating that it dosnt seem possible to listen to music on apple tv without having the TV on. Is there a way around this?

I have the HDMI going into my audio amp then into my television. I thought this would mean the speakers would still get the signal without the tv being on but when I turn the tv off the music stops playing.

Anyone know how you can do this as its really annoying to have to sit and watch the album cover and time code when listening to music aswell as a waste of all the energy powering the TV for no real reason!

The trick is to have two connections, one for watching and one for listening:

ATV2 -HDMI----> TV--> RECEIVER
ATV2 -OPTICAL-> ----> RECEIVER
techchallenger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:17 AM   #8
SonicStomp
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfnd View Post

What amp are you using? Are you using an HDMI switch or something else between the ATV, TV and Amp?

I have my ATV2 connected to my Sony amp via HDMI which in turn is connected to my TV via HDMI. With the TV OFF I still get audio through the Amp. I know that there was a bug with respect to simultaneous HDMI and Optical OUT but I believe that has been fixed with a s/w update.
SonicStomp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:17 AM   #9
newagemac
macrumors 68000

ATV --> HDMI Receiver --> TV

With that setup, it doesn't matter if the TV is on or off. You can also use the optical port simultaneously out to your receiver if it doesn't have HDMI.
newagemac is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 03:43 AM   #10
DOMCHO101
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by techchallenger View Post
The trick is to have two connections, one for watching and one for listening:

ATV2 -HDMI----> TV--> RECEIVER
ATV2 -OPTICAL-> ----> RECEIVER
This is of course ideal, but it doesn't work if you throw a PS3 into the mix...
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:59 PM   #11
Mfnd
macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies. It was a case of the TV pausing it. I have even found with the remote app on iPad/iPhone I don't even need the tv on at all to listen to music.

That is going ATV2>>amp>>TV

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater