Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ulf Soderlund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Dear Forum!

This will serve as a warning to all users mainly in the EU area currently considering a Promise Pegasus R4/R6 Thunderbolt RAID.

The Promise Pegasus R4/R6 Thunderbolt RAIDs are susceptible to RF interference mainly caused by GSM900 phones - they will simply disconnect the Thunderbolt link when in proximity of a GSM900 phone when a call is in progress.

Promise as well as Apple have had this information since mid October this year. As of today, the official statement from Apple is that they do not have an official statement regarding this. Promise is now unofficially acknowledging this as a known error - for further information regarding this contact:

Promise EU +31402352600 or Promise US +14082281400

For further reading on the Apple Support Communities Forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15630806#15630806

/U

cryptonit

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
And now we know why Thunderbolt is adopting so slowly and why USB 3.0 is clear winner (at least in case of external hard drives). I'm in the market a new desktop (Mini) and laptop (Air or Macbook Pro) but won't buy any of them until it is equipped with USB 3.0 ports.
USB 3.0 drives are everywhere and all new laptops, PCS has USB 3.0. Late 2011/early 2012 gear without USB 3.0 seems to be just obsolete.

Macguy76

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Texas
That's too bad to hear. I've been using an R4 Pegasus for the past 4 months and have had no issues. According to the first post the issue has to do with RF frequencies from a GSM 900 band phones. Are those only used in Europe? My AT&T and Vrrizon iPhones don't interfere with my R4. I had never heard of this before this forum.

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
That's too bad to hear. I've been using an R4 Pegasus for the past 4 months and have had no issues. According to the first post the issue has to do with RF frequencies from a GSM 900 band phones. Are those only used in Europe? My AT&T and Vrrizon iPhones don't interfere with my R4. I had never heard of this before this forum.

Your ATT and VZW phones use different frequencies: 850/1900mhz for edge and 700MHz for 4g. t-mo uses 1900mhz, which is why you don't see many iPhones on Tmob - who wants edge only on an iPhone?

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
And now we know why Thunderbolt is adopting so slowly and why USB 3.0 is clear winner (at least in case of external hard drives).
Well, that's not true of course. As this is an issue inherent to one specific piece of equipment which isn't generally spread (and which has other issues as well; see discussions on sound distortion when used with thunderbolt displays for example), it has absolutely no bearing on the general adoption rate of thunderbolt as a whole.

It's more a case of only Apple offering this plug on their computers right now, something which IS going to change in 2012.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.