Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:05 AM   #1
RIPNHL2005
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to RIPNHL2005
How to remove a person from a picture with Aperture or Photoshop?

I have a macbook pro with Aperture 3 and Photoshop CS5 which I just installed and have NEVER used.
I have a B&W photo with my kids in it but a 3rd child in the pic needs to be removed to make it the perfect shot for my parents as a xmas present.

Does anyone know how to use either of these programs to best remove someone from a pic?
I tried blur and repair tools but those do not work at all for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks

Patrick
RIPNHL2005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:37 AM   #2
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Last time I used photoshop was 6 years ago so I'm a bit outdated; however, you can use the lasso tool to cut out the child and then refill the cut area using your background in the rest of the image. There may be a better way but this should do the trick. If photoshop still has the magnetic lasso tool, I'd recommend using that (unless something newer exists).
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:59 PM   #3
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Not sure how to do it in Aperture or Photoshop but there are quite a few inexpensive programs that allow you to do just that.
Snapheal ($9.99 in the Mac App Store)
Inpaint ($0.99 in the Mac App Store)
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Randy McKown
macrumors member

If you can't accomplish it through cropping the image then you will need to clone the person out of the image. In aperture you could attempt this by using the retouch brush and selecting clone .. clone an appropriate background area over the person then go back in and do fine tuning using the repair option of the retouch brush to bleed and blend the edges.

In Photoshop you could do this by using a combination of the Clone Stamp Tool and the Healing Brush Tool. Same method as with aperture.

With Aperture you're going to just start trying to brush it all out. With Photoshop you would have the option to work on multiple layers .. maybe using the lasso tool to grab a larger and more appropriate background area and drag it where you need it, blend it, maybe use some opacity layers if needed .. it just depends on how much work is involved in the specific image but those are you're two best options.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:56 AM   #5
RIPNHL2005
macrumors member

Thanks, cloning and brushing just makes a complete mess of the picture area where the person was.
Is there an easy way to crop out a middle section of a picture and join the 2 other sides?
The way the colors are that should work but I can't figure out cropping more than 1 section which selects that area with no delete option.

Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:16 AM   #6
chasemac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chasemac
http://youtu.be/jCIf3Dv8VT4
chasemac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:55 AM   #7
deep diver
macrumors 6502a

It will probably take less time to shoot a new picture.
deep diver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:02 PM   #8
RIPNHL2005
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberahul View Post
Last time I used photoshop was 6 years ago so I'm a bit outdated; however, you can use the lasso tool to cut out the child and then refill the cut area using your background in the rest of the image. There may be a better way but this should do the trick. If photoshop still has the magnetic lasso tool, I'd recommend using that (unless something newer exists).
Don't know what I did the first time with lasso that it didn't work but second time around it removed it and worked perfectly!!!!

Thanks!!!!!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:13 PM   #9
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNHL2005 View Post
Don't know what I did the first time with lasso that it didn't work but second time around it removed it and worked perfectly!!!!

Thanks!!!!!
Great! Glad I could be off help.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store