Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:32 PM   #26
lotones
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
If anything, you have it backwards. Apple continually improves the "no fuss-no muss" nature of its OS. As for repairing permissions, it is a relatively simple process that would be difficult to improve upon between 2006 and now:

Within the Library folder, there is a folder called Receipts. Each installed software package has a .pkg bundle installed there. Each receipt serves two purposes:
  1. It tells the OS that the software has been installed (and does not need to be reinstalled).
  2. It mirrors the correct file structure and permissions of the installed package.
When you repair permissions, the OS resets the permissions to those of the receipt bundle. There is not much that can be done to improve permissions repair because not much can be done to improve an anvil.

Permissions repair is one of those things that people glommed onto in the early days of MacOS X because they had no better idea what to do to satisfy their placebo fix.

Since Apple added journaling to HFS+, permissions are rarely changed negatively. And by the way, permissions repair is one of the actions taken when the OS is updated or new applications installed.
Thanks for the knowledge. I understand most of that, but I still prefer to think of it as "magic". Something goes wonky, I press the "repair permissions" button and 'poof'... it's fixed! Or not...

btw, I found this the other night as I was stumbling around the internet:

Want to really Repair Permissions on your Mac? Try this.

Apparently there’s another Repair Permissions tool hidden away in Lion that will actually repair the permission settings on folders and files in your Home folder. I don't know if this is a feature that used to be un-hidden in previous OS versions, or the "much improved" Repair Permissions tool I was told about. But it does appear things are changing/evolving in this area.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums View Post
Repairing permissions can sometimes cause more problems then good.
How so? Not doubting, but I've heard this said before and I'm curious.
lotones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:08 PM   #27
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030
 
Mattie Num Nums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotones View Post
Thanks for the knowledge. I understand most of that, but I still prefer to think of it as "magic". Something goes wonky, I press the "repair permissions" button and 'poof'... it's fixed! Or not...

btw, I found this the other night as I was stumbling around the internet:

Want to really Repair Permissions on your Mac? Try this.

Apparently there’s another Repair Permissions tool hidden away in Lion that will actually repair the permission settings on folders and files in your Home folder. I don't know if this is a feature that used to be un-hidden in previous OS versions, or the "much improved" Repair Permissions tool I was told about. But it does appear things are changing/evolving in this area.

----------



How so? Not doubting, but I've heard this said before and I'm curious.
It only repairs the permissions of installers with receipts. By just arbitrarily repairing permissions you could be re changing permissions that were purposely changed.
__________________
I like Apple stuff but, I am not in the Apple cult.
Mattie Num Nums is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:46 PM   #28
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotones View Post
...

Apparently there’s another Repair Permissions tool hidden away in Lion that will actually repair the permission settings on folders and files in your Home folder. I don't know if this is a feature that used to be un-hidden in previous OS versions, or the "much improved" Repair Permissions tool I was told about. But it does appear things are changing/evolving in this area....
It never ceases to amaze me that people post links to things that they either don't read or don't understand if they do read. If you had read the reader responses that follow the article, then you would know that the home directory repair tool is not new. You would also know that it is an emergency tool for trained technicians. It is not a routine maintenance tool for untrained users.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:49 PM   #29
OneMike
macrumors 68040
 
OneMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
I only repair them, when I have reason to which is at most a 2-3 times per year.
__________________
To much stuff to list
OneMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:57 PM   #30
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030
 
Mattie Num Nums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that people post links to things that they either don't read or don't understand if they do read. If you had read the reader responses that follow the article, then you would know that the home directory repair tool is not new. You would also know that it is an emergency tool for trained technicians. It is not a routine maintenance tool for untrained users.
Exactly. Apps change perms on the fly and just resetting everything could cause havoc on the system.
__________________
I like Apple stuff but, I am not in the Apple cult.
Mattie Num Nums is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:57 PM   #31
iFanboy
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums View Post
Repairing permissions can sometimes cause more problems then good.
How so? I'd be interested in learning this as I have not found any information to suggest it has the potential to cause problems?
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:47 PM   #32
lotones
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that people post links to things that they either don't read or don't understand if they do read. If you had read the reader responses that follow the article, then you would know that the home directory repair tool is not new. You would also know that it is an emergency tool for trained technicians. It is not a routine maintenance tool for untrained users.
So I didn't "read or understand" the article because I didn't read all 27 responses in the comments section? It so happens I was looking for something else when I stumbled across that article. I read the article and moved on. Excuse me for passing on information. And I never claimed it was a "routine maintenance tool".

It never ceases to amaze me that people post snark based on lame assumptions and statements never made.
lotones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:50 PM   #33
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030
 
Mattie Num Nums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanboy View Post
How so? I'd be interested in learning this as I have not found any information to suggest it has the potential to cause problems?
Certain programs are not excluded from the "Repair Permissions" run so Apples intention of keeping its permissions clean could in fact change permissions that a third party program changed for a reason. The issue is Repairing Permissions is not an end all be all, should not be the first thing done to troubleshoot, and should not be done regularly. It should however be a part of your basic troubleshooting steps.
__________________
I like Apple stuff but, I am not in the Apple cult.
Mattie Num Nums is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 05:08 PM   #34
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums View Post
Certain programs are not excluded from the "Repair Permissions" run so Apples intention of keeping its permissions clean could in fact change permissions that a third party program changed for a reason.
From the link I posted earlier:
Quote:
Are all files affected by Repair Disk Permissions?
No. As you may have inferred from the above description, only those files installed using OS X’s Installer utility and whose installation packages leave behind a proper receipt in /Library/Receipts are affected by the Repair Disk Permissions function. This means that most of the files affected by the Repair Disk Permissions function are system-level files, application files, or system add-ons—not applications installed by drag-and-drop, and not your documents or other user-level files.
And from: About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature:

Quote:
Does Disk Utility check permissions on all files?

Files that aren't installed as part of an Apple-originated installer package are not listed in a receipt and therefore are not checked. For example, if you install an application using a non-Apple installer application, or by copying it from a disk image, network volume, or other disk instead of installing it via Installer, a receipt file isn't created. This is expected. Some applications are designed to be installed in one of those ways.

Also, certain files whose permissions can be changed during normal usage without affecting their function are intentionally not checked.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 05:25 PM   #35
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601
 
Michaelgtrusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Everywhere And Nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums View Post
Repairing permissions is one of the most overused thing in OSX. Repairing permissions can sometimes cause more problems then good.


Really? How's that?
__________________
iMACAll life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.
TWITTER TUMBLR
Michaelgtrusa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:18 PM   #36
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotones View Post
So I didn't "read or understand" the article because I didn't read all 27 responses in the comments section? It so happens I was looking for something else when I stumbled across that article. I read the article and moved on. Excuse me for passing on information. And I never claimed it was a "routine maintenance tool".

It never ceases to amaze me that people post snark based on lame assumptions and statements never made.
You posted a link to a column on a newspaper's website. The author is a user--more conversant with Mac issues than you--but not more qualified to explain MacOS X than many of the members of this forum. He is not more qualified than the readers who responded to him. The difference between him and them--between him and us--is that he has a job with a newspaper but most of us do not.

Having said that, the readers clarified questions left unanswered by the column. Make no mistake. Nowhere do I say that you are responsible for what the author wrote. You are also not responsible for what the readers wrote. However, you are responsible for what you wrote. When you presented the column as an authority in support of your assertion that permissions repair is an evolving task, you doubled-down on the assertion. To your great regret, you were mistaken. Your regrets could have been avoided if you had taken the time to do additional research before posting.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:03 PM   #37
lotones
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
You posted a link to a column on a newspaper's website. The author is a user--more conversant with Mac issues than you--but not more qualified to explain MacOS X than many of the members of this forum. He is not more qualified than the readers who responded to him. The difference between him and them--between him and us--is that he has a job with a newspaper but most of us do not.

Having said that, the readers clarified questions left unanswered by the column. Make no mistake. Nowhere do I say that you are responsible for what the author wrote. You are also not responsible for what the readers wrote. However, you are responsible for what you wrote. When you presented the column as an authority in support of your assertion that permissions repair is an evolving task, you doubled-down on the assertion. To your great regret, you were mistaken. Your regrets could have been avoided if you had taken the time to do additional research before posting.
a. I offered the link as information I thought was relevant to the conversation. I wasn't asserting any point of view. The part where I wrote "I don't know if this is a feature that used to be un-hidden in previous OS versions, or the "much improved" Repair Permissions tool I was told about.", or the part where I thanked you for the passing along the information of your previous post, might have clued you into that fact if you weren't so ready to snark.

b. I have no "regrets" about my post, nor my possibly mistaken conclusion. I have just as much right to be wrong on the internet as anyone else. And seeing how I had already qualified my alleged "assertion", any "regrets" should be yours. All you had to do is point out the relevant information in the comments section, as per normal civil conversation. The snark was unnecessary and unappreciated. The only "regrets" I may have is the time wasted engaging you in this bemusing conversation.

c. Just because this happened not to be a new feature, that doesn't mean the repair permission feature hasn't evolved since 2006.
lotones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:10 PM   #38
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium
 
KnightWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos24 View Post
Absolutely, couldn't agree more. Why trust a tool that Apple designs for their own operating system that they design as well. Heavens no, the repair permissions tool just might cause the computer to explode.
Yes, because 3rd party receipt files cannot ever cause any problems because Apple made such a splendid tool right ?

Again, I'll just repair permissions myself with chown/chmod if I discover any permission problems. Frankly, a lot of you need a course on how ACLs work and what they are for.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotones View Post
Apparently there’s another Repair Permissions tool hidden away in Lion that will actually repair the permission settings on folders and files in your Home folder.
Hum.. it's been there since day one in OS X :

Code:
$ id | xargs -n 1 echo | egrep "^uid|^gid" | cut -d \( -f 2 | sed 's/)$//g' | xargs echo | sed 's/\ /:/g' | xargs -I{} echo sudo chown -R {} $HOME
Just copy paste the output of this command and your home folder will be good as new.

(alternatively, you could simply figure out the arguments manually, they aren't hard at all. Simply : your unix user name, :, your unix group and finally your home folder).

Again folks, this is Unix, not magic.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
Really? How's that?
What if a Receipt file points to the wrong set of files ? What if permissions were changed on purpose on a set of files to prevent access to a group/user and the receipt file resets them ?

What if the Receipt files were tampered with to open up access to a malicious user ?

List. Endless.
__________________
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."
-- Pericles
KnightWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:29 PM   #39
tkermit
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoMorpheus View Post
I do it every few days, to keep the list pristine. I have not one permission problem.
Which would probably be the case even if you never repaired permissions (like I do) – No issues here, except for the usual warnings of course.

Quote:
Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.
__________________
___🏃_
tkermit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:03 PM   #40
isoMorpheus
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkermit View Post
Which would probably be the case even if you never repaired permissions (like I do) – No issues here, except for the usual warnings of course.
I've caught a few that's sprung up for reasons I'm not sure of and have successfully killed them before they start pilling on top of each other, which tendency is part of my conspiratory worry without any evidence. It does make me feel better about my Macintosh's health.
isoMorpheus is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:18 PM   #41
calderone
macrumors 68040
 
calderone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle
I wrote a script that runs it every hour, my Mac runs so good. ZOMG! No permissions problems here! I am super paranoid about my permissions!

Why you tell me I has no permission to do what I wants to this file!? I run

Code:
sudo chown -R myuser /; chmod -R u+rwx /
Computer no tell me I has no permission to do what I wants!!!! I WIN!
__________________
ACSA, ACMT
calderone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:32 PM   #42
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030
 
Mattie Num Nums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
From the link I posted earlier:

And from: About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature:
Some install write those files and are effected. Anyone remember the constantly broken Epson files?
__________________
I like Apple stuff but, I am not in the Apple cult.
Mattie Num Nums is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airport Extreme reporting "Disk Needs Repair"; it doesn't! ggabriele3 Mac Peripherals 4 Mar 6, 2014 03:27 PM
Message in Repair Permissions - Disk Utility? garycurtis iMac 5 Jan 26, 2014 02:21 AM
Can't repair disk permissions Habberkuk OS X 7 Jun 3, 2013 10:57 AM
Repair disk permissions with applescript 1theo0 Mac Programming 3 Dec 2, 2012 09:52 PM
Repair disk permissions help ceet12 Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 7 Sep 30, 2012 04:02 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC