Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 17, 2011, 01:40 PM   #1
TheJing
Banned

Linux bootable USB works on Pro but not on Air

Does anyone what the problem could be? It works fine on my 2011 Pro but not on my 2011 Air.
TheJing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Roman2K~
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJing View Post
Does anyone what the problem could be? It works fine on my 2011 Pro but not on my 2011 Air.
If you want help, you need to expand on what you mean by "works".

I assume the Pro goes past the bootloader, hardware is fully recognized, at least the graphics card, keyboard and mouse. Then a graphical environment is loaded (like a desktop environment such as GNOME). This must be what you call "works".

What happens with the Air exactly?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:03 PM   #3
TheJing
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman2K~ View Post
If you want help, you need to expand on what you mean by "works".

I assume the Pro goes past the bootloader, hardware is fully recognized, at least the graphics card, keyboard and mouse. Then a graphical environment is loaded (like a desktop environment such as GNOME). This must be what you call "works".

What happens with the Air exactly?
Nothing. When I choose what Disk I want to use by pressing Alt while booting the computer, I just get a screen that starts black and slowly becomes white over 10 minutes or so.

But I just read somewhere that the Air isn't capable of booting from a USB drive so...
TheJing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Roman2K~
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Nothing. When I choose what Disk I want to use by pressing Alt while booting the computer, I just get a screen that starts black and slowly becomes white over 10 minutes or so.
OK.

Quote:
But I just read somewhere that the Air isn't capable of booting from a USB drive so...
Yes, the Air can boot from USB, no problem. If the stock EFI won't boot on your USB drive, try rEFIt. Install it even temporarily (it's a clean install, easily and thoroughly removable, see "Manual Installation [...]").

Expect missing drivers (kernel modules disabled in the kernel of the Linux distribution you're attempting to boot), but you should get a little further.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air