Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:05 AM   #1
caughtintheweb
macrumors regular

Apple TV + subtitles

Hi,

I have some old movies which i converted to mp4 format and added to my itunes. I have external subtitles which I really dont want to burn into the movie as it takes too long to do so. Is there anyway I can play this movie with subtitles on apple tv / itunes ?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:24 AM   #2
AlsoKnownAs
macrumors member

You could use subler to add subtitles to the existing .mp4 file. It will not require any encoding.
Just download subler from here:
http://code.google.com/p/subler/down...b.zip&can=2&q=
Open the .mp4 file with subler and click the plus sign to add subtitles, then click save. It should take no more than 1-2 minutes.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:05 PM   #3
caughtintheweb
macrumors regular

Thanks a lot. Thats a great tool. I have like 45-50 files, is there anyway to do it all at once. The subtitle files have same name as file name. But anyways thanks. It still is better than encoding again using handbrake.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:38 PM   #4
roidy
macrumors 6502a

I'm not a Mac user, but Subler has a command line version so it shouldn't be to hard to write a small script to loop through all the files in a directory and run the correct Subler command line instruction to add the corresponding subtitles to each file.

Infact there maybe a Subler commmand line example in the Subler wiki that you could use or modify to do it, if not maybe some kind Mac user would be willing to write you one if you asked nicely
roidy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:49 AM   #5
caughtintheweb
macrumors regular

That sounds good. Thanks for your help guys. I will figure it out.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:35 AM   #6
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by roidy View Post
I'm not a Mac user, but Subler has a command line version so it shouldn't be to hard to write a small script to loop through all the files in a directory and run the correct Subler command line instruction to add the corresponding subtitles to each file.

Infact there maybe a Subler commmand line example in the Subler wiki that you could use or modify to do it, if not maybe some kind Mac user would be willing to write you one if you asked nicely
writing commands might be a little hard, I just manually load the movie into subler, than drag and drop the subtitles into the program and voila. (of course you have to delete and re-add the movie into iTunes)
works well for me

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater