Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:12 AM   #1
TangoT
macrumors newbie

Problems using Macbook Pro without Battery

Hi,

I'm on my MacBook Pro, and I'm using 2-3 cycles per day, so I'm looking at how to reduce that. I know from PC use that keeping the plug in at the same time as the battery reduces its life - as an aside I'm wondering if anybody knows any documentation that says Macs don't do that - in any case I'm thinking above using my MBP plugged in without the battery, but it isn't working for me.

When I take out the battery and try and turn it on (power cord only), it won't power on. When I power it on with the battery, then take out the battery, with the power cord in, the screen won't come on, and the white light on the button to lift the monitor flashes.

I am using a Macbook Pro 4,1, on Leopard 10.5.8

I have tried resetting the SMC as instructed from this article (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964), and it didn't solve the problem. I'm aware of the decrease in processing power without the battery, I'm willing to make that sacrifice to save the battery life.

What should I do to be able to use the computer without the battery?

Last edited by TangoT; Dec 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM.
TangoT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:20 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

If you're always going to use your computer on mains by taking the battery out, what are you saving your battery for? This seems amazingly pointless.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:29 AM   #3
blueroom
macrumors 603

Don't worry about the battery, pretty much no matter how you treat it it'll last for about 3-4years. After that get it replaced. Your MacBook after 6+yrs will probably be in want of replacement by then.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:31 AM   #4
TangoT
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
If you're always going to use your computer on mains by taking the battery out, what are you saving your battery for? This seems amazingly pointless.
In the case that I'd be taking it somewhere, don't want to be sitting on my desk, or if there's a power outage, etc.

Last edited by grapes911; Dec 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: thread move clean up
TangoT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:42 AM   #5
WarpSpawn
macrumors member

Isn't it recommended that you leave the battery in in case it needs more power than the AC adapter can supply when the CPU is under a greater load?
WarpSpawn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:44 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Don't run your MBP without the battery, for several reasons. One is if you accidentally unplug, your system dies. With a battery, you don't skip a beat. Also, your Mac will run slower without the battery, as Mac OS X will throttle the system. Just run on battery when you there is no AC power available, and plug in whenever you can. If you're mostly plugged in, just unplug and run on battery a few hours every few days to exercise the battery and you'll be fine. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:23 PM   #7
TheIguana
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoT View Post
Hi,

I'm on my MacBook Pro, and I'm using 2-3 cycles per day, so I'm looking at how to reduce that. I know from PC use that keeping the plug in at the same time as the battery reduces its life - as an aside I'm wondering if anybody knows any documentation that says Macs don't do that - in any case I'm thinking above using my MBP plugged in without the battery, but it isn't working for me.

When I take out the battery and try and turn it on (power cord only), it won't power on. When I power it on with the battery, then take out the battery, with the power cord in, the screen won't come on, and the white light on the button to lift the monitor flashes.

I am using a Macbook Pro 4,1, on Leopard 10.5.8

I have tried resetting the SMC as instructed from this article (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964), and it didn't solve the problem. I'm aware of the decrease in processing power without the battery, I'm willing to make that sacrifice to save the battery life.

Firstly, per Apple, running a MacBook without the battery installed is just a general bad idea. Not only do you run the risk of losing whatever your working on but your Mac will also significantly reduce processor speed to ensure it doesn't exceed the power it has avaliable.

Onto your question, it almost sounds like your MacBook Pro is not getting enough power. What wattage power adapter are you currently using?
TheIguana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:43 PM   #8
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

I want to know what you mean by you're "using 2-3 cycles a day"...
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:18 PM   #9
thundersteele
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoT View Post
Hi,

I'm on my MacBook Pro, and I'm using 2-3 cycles per day, so I'm looking at how to reduce that. I know from PC use that keeping the plug in at the same time as the battery reduces its life
Yes, that was true for devices with rechargeable batteries 20 years ago.

Quote:
- as an aside I'm wondering if anybody knows any documentation that says Macs don't do that - in any case I'm thinking above using my MBP plugged in without the battery, but it isn't working for me.
Don't you think they would mention it in the manual if you were supposed to unplug your machine all the time?

Quote:
Don't do it!
thundersteele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:37 PM   #10
ShoG
macrumors member

I believe that the battery acts as an uninterrupted power supply when it is connected via wall outlet, and while unplugged as well. Might as well keep the battery in anyways for just that reason.

Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge on how to use it without the battery in place.
ShoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro