Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TangoT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Hi,

I'm on my MacBook Pro, and I'm using 2-3 cycles per day, so I'm looking at how to reduce that. I know from PC use that keeping the plug in at the same time as the battery reduces its life - as an aside I'm wondering if anybody knows any documentation that says Macs don't do that - in any case I'm thinking above using my MBP plugged in without the battery, but it isn't working for me.

When I take out the battery and try and turn it on (power cord only), it won't power on. When I power it on with the battery, then take out the battery, with the power cord in, the screen won't come on, and the white light on the button to lift the monitor flashes.

I am using a Macbook Pro 4,1, on Leopard 10.5.8

I have tried resetting the SMC as instructed from this article (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964), and it didn't solve the problem. I'm aware of the decrease in processing power without the battery, I'm willing to make that sacrifice to save the battery life.

What should I do to be able to use the computer without the battery?

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Don't worry about the battery, pretty much no matter how you treat it it'll last for about 3-4years. After that get it replaced. Your MacBook after 6+yrs will probably be in want of replacement by then.

TangoT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
If you're always going to use your computer on mains by taking the battery out, what are you saving your battery for? This seems amazingly pointless.

In the case that I'd be taking it somewhere, don't want to be sitting on my desk, or if there's a power outage, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

WarpSpawn

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
Isn't it recommended that you leave the battery in in case it needs more power than the AC adapter can supply when the CPU is under a greater load?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Don't run your MBP without the battery, for several reasons. One is if you accidentally unplug, your system dies. With a battery, you don't skip a beat. Also, your Mac will run slower without the battery, as Mac OS X will throttle the system. Just run on battery when you there is no AC power available, and plug in whenever you can. If you're mostly plugged in, just unplug and run on battery a few hours every few days to exercise the battery and you'll be fine. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
Hi,

I'm on my MacBook Pro, and I'm using 2-3 cycles per day, so I'm looking at how to reduce that. I know from PC use that keeping the plug in at the same time as the battery reduces its life - as an aside I'm wondering if anybody knows any documentation that says Macs don't do that - in any case I'm thinking above using my MBP plugged in without the battery, but it isn't working for me.

When I take out the battery and try and turn it on (power cord only), it won't power on. When I power it on with the battery, then take out the battery, with the power cord in, the screen won't come on, and the white light on the button to lift the monitor flashes.

I am using a Macbook Pro 4,1, on Leopard 10.5.8

I have tried resetting the SMC as instructed from this article (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964), and it didn't solve the problem. I'm aware of the decrease in processing power without the battery, I'm willing to make that sacrifice to save the battery life.

Firstly, per Apple, running a MacBook without the battery installed is just a general bad idea. Not only do you run the risk of losing whatever your working on but your Mac will also significantly reduce processor speed to ensure it doesn't exceed the power it has avaliable.

Onto your question, it almost sounds like your MacBook Pro is not getting enough power. What wattage power adapter are you currently using?

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Hi,

I'm on my MacBook Pro, and I'm using 2-3 cycles per day, so I'm looking at how to reduce that. I know from PC use that keeping the plug in at the same time as the battery reduces its life

Yes, that was true for devices with rechargeable batteries 20 years ago.

- as an aside I'm wondering if anybody knows any documentation that says Macs don't do that - in any case I'm thinking above using my MBP plugged in without the battery, but it isn't working for me.
Don't you think they would mention it in the manual if you were supposed to unplug your machine all the time?

Don't do it!

ShoG

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2011
I believe that the battery acts as an uninterrupted power supply when it is connected via wall outlet, and while unplugged as well. Might as well keep the battery in anyways for just that reason.

Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge on how to use it without the battery in place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.