Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsymacker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Hello everyone,

My question is simple.

Why does the extension cord plug lead consist of 3 parts, one being "grounding-earthing contact" whilst the short (direct) mains plug just have two ends (thus unearthed)?

Thank you.

macsymacker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Ok, thank you however let me rephrase the question and ask again.

Why in the UK, both plugs come with ground pin whilst in other countries i.e. Italy or Germany, only the extension cord plug has the grounding pin?

That's why you should use a surge protector, as the ground wire won't protect against damage.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Even with 3 pins the uk adapter isn't earthed! The third pin (earth) is required on a uk plug to open the neutral and live gates.

The power adapter is classed as a double insulated or class 2 device so no earth is needed

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok, thank you however let me rephrase the question and ask again.

Why in the UK, both plugs come with ground pin whilst in other countries i.e. Italy or Germany, only the extension cord plug has the grounding pin?
It might have to do with electronic device regulations being different in different countries.

macsymacker

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Thank you for explaining and thanks to everyone for their participation.
Appears to be my deep confusion and stupidity on the subject.
Cheers! ;-)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Even with 3 pins the uk adapter isn't earthed! The third pin (earth) is required on a uk plug to open the neutral and live gates.

The power adapter is classed as a double insulated or class 2 device so no earth is needed

Total Respray

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011

The third pin is indeed necessary to open the gate for the other pins, but on non-double-insulated devices the top pin is earthed as well.

Total Respray

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Incorrect the earth isn't used by the adaptor In any way!

You are correct with regards to the mag safe adapters, but as per my post, the third pin is earthed for non-double-insulated devices. Granted, this may not include current Apple adapters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.