Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Hi, I recently got my new dual 2.7Ghz powermac G5. Everything is great apart from one thing! Always the way. Here is the problem. A good proportion of the time when I eject my superdrive it goes straight back in. Its as if the locking mechanism is not working. Once a disk is in the drive there is no problem, it works great. You end up with the drive going in and out until the tray stays out.

What do you think?? Anything to try? I dont want to send this thing back! ITs a SONY DVD RW DW-Q28A.

Thanks

Falleron

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Falleron said:
What do you think?? Anything to try? I dont want to send this thing back! ITs a SONY DVD RW DW-Q28A.

You're not going to like this: send it back! Or at least get on the phone with Applecare; you want a *new* DVD drive.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
When I got mine (see sig), I had a similar problem. The tray didn't come out, because the bay door only opened half. I could never put in a disc. When I had a closer look at it, it turned out that the mechanism was, that the tray pushed down the small bay door of the G5. As the drive wasn't put in properly, it couldn't open this door and went back in. I took the drive out and put it back in and then it worked like a charm. I recommend trying this first before sending it in, because it's not too hard to do.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I would try this but it appears that it wont help. I manually lowered the door down with my finger + pressed the eject button. Its not touching anything + the problem still exists.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Falleron said:
I would try this but it appears that it wont help. I manually lowered the door down with my finger + pressed the eject button. Its not touching anything + the problem still exists.
Then it really seems as if your drive is broken. Sorry! Do you have another drive that you could put in and see what happens? Or even better, put this drive into another computer?

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Veldek said:
Then it really seems as if your drive is broken. Sorry! Do you have another drive that you could put in and see what happens? Or even better, put this drive into another computer?
I would take the computer apart if it was anything other than my brand new machine. However, since its is so new, I think I will try and take it somewhere for a new drive.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I'd just call Apple and ask them to send you a replacement SuperDrive. That is a user servicable part on a PowerMac G5 and is fairly easy to change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.