Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Browsing Netflix for instant movies with 2011 MBA, and as I go through the selections the fan goes whacky. How is that cpu intensive?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Browsing Netflix for instant movies with 2011 MBA, and as I go through the selections the fan goes whacky. How is that cpu intensive?

I've never used Netflix. I assume it uses flash all over the place. It explains why your fans start going wild. Flash is just not very good.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've never used Netflix. It I assume it assumes flash all over the place. It explains why your fans start going. Flash is just not very good.
I've never used it, either. However, going to their site and browsing the titles doesn't use Flash. It also only shows 18 titles per genre, viewable in 3 sets of 6. Perhaps that's a limitation because I don't have an account. If not, they have a dismally miniscule selection to choose from. Browsing the titles doesn't seem to be resource intensive at all.

Yankee125xt

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
I use netflix all the time and i have no problem with my Air. It doesn't heat up or anything. The fan is normal and never goes into crazy mode.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I've never used it, either. However, going to their site and browsing the titles doesn't use Flash. It also only shows 18 titles per genre, viewable in 3 sets of 6. Perhaps that's a limitation because I don't have an account. If not, they have a dismally miniscule selection to choose from. Browsing the titles doesn't seem to be resource intensive at all.

Interesting. Are there any ads on the site?

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
I use netflix all the time and i have no problem with my Air. It doesn't heat up or anything. The fan is normal and never goes into crazy mode.

I don't have the same trouble on my 2009 MBP. It only occurs on the MBA. The MBA is great when the fans are not moving. When they do, it sounds like the MBA is about to lift off of my lap.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
From what I've read about Netflix lately, the fans are quieter than they used to be. They're certainly not going wild!

Will Netflix fans defect after rate hike?

Over on Mashable, an unscientific poll found that 29% said they’ll cancel their Netflix service altogether, and 39% said they’d only subscribe to the streaming plan and dump the DVDs
They may be quiet now, but they seem like a fickle bunch; not real fans, in my opinion.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011

Same problem for me on my 2010 model - 13"/128GB/4GB. Anybody know why this happens? The fan runs so loud, I have to turn the volume up on the video to be able to hear the conversation.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Same problem for me on my 2010 model - 13"/128GB/4GB. Anybody know why this happens? The fan runs so loud, I have to turn the volume up on the video to be able to hear the conversation.

So fast it almost blew my toupee off. However, I'm doing the same Netflix thing on my MBA right now and, in all fairness, it's not happening at the moment. Maybe it's just certain days of the week. :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So fast it almost blew my toupee off. However, I'm doing the same Netflix thing on my MBA right now and, in all fairness, it's not happening at the moment. Maybe it's just certain days of the week. :)
Is it possible that while you're visiting the Netflix site, you sometimes have other browser tabs open on other sites? Also, it may not be your browser at all. When it happens again, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Is it possible that while you're visiting the Netflix site, you sometimes have other browser tabs open on other sites? Also, it may not be your browser at all. When it happens again, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

Thanks for the tip. But what about my toupee (just joking)? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.