Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Hey all, I noticed that since TV shows appeared on AppleTV 2 in Canada, when you purchase a TV show via the Apple TV, it doesn't appear in iTunes. I don't mind that it's not downloaded to my Mac (saves me from managing storage) but what happens if the show stops being offered on AppleTV? Don't I get a physical backup?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Yes. By default, if you purchase a TV show on AppleTV, it does not download to your iTunes library at all. It remains available for viewing via AppleTv and you can manually go to iTunes Store > Purchases > download your TV show, but Apple doesn't send it to you by default.

If a network or content owner delists that TV show, there are going to be a lot of pissed off people who bought it and all of a sudden lose access to their purchases.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
I guess Apple is looking in every direction to keep up the revenue stream.

Consumer electronics has reached a point where the average joe can get the basics for little money. And the cheaper brands are getting close to what someone can expect from a modern mobile or computer.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It's true that if a show stops being offered in the iTunes store, in some cases, you will no longer be able to re-download it. However, this is why it is best to download it in the first instance and keep a good backup.

I always use this analogy - not backing up your purchased files is akin to leaving your DVDs laying around without a case wherever. Both are irresponsible ways to take care of your purchases. In both cases, someday soon, those TV shows will no longer be watchable.

Just like you take care of DVDs, you should also take care of your purchased files.

Snoopy4

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2014
It's true that if a show stops being offered in the iTunes store, in some cases, you will no longer be able to re-download it. However, this is why it is best to download it in the first instance and keep a good backup.

I always use this analogy - not backing up your purchased files is akin to leaving your DVDs laying around without a case wherever. Both are irresponsible ways to take care of your purchases. In both cases, someday soon, those TV shows will no longer be watchable.

Just like you take care of DVDs, you should also take care of your purchased files.

The problem is of course hard drive failure or file corruption and inability to download it again.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The problem is of course hard drive failure or file corruption and inability to download it again.

Sure, no method of storage is perfect or 100% reliable. However, digital downloads are way easier to make backups of than discs.

As with everything valuable, backup backup backup.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013

Thats why the computer gods invented RAID. :)

(For the truly cautious, RAID, Time Machine or similar backup program, and offsite backups.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.