Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wsc9005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Scotland, UK
Hi people !

I'll travelling from UK to NYC in about two days and I got an AT&T GoPhone SIM and managed cut it to micro sim.

I phoned AT&T customer service and have activated my SIM. However, when I ask if I can purchase the smartphone data plan, the lady says even if I purchased the smartphone plan I'll not be able to use mobile internet on iPhone.

Anyone have any ideas to get the mobile Internet to work?? I'll cry if I can't get whatsapp to work when I got there :(

Thanks in advance :)

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Hi people !

I'll travelling from UK to NYC in about two days and I got an AT&T GoPhone SIM and managed cut it to micro sim.

I phoned AT&T customer service and have activated my SIM. However, when I ask if I can purchase the smartphone data plan, the lady says even if I purchased the smartphone plan I'll not be able to use mobile internet on iPhone.

Anyone have any ideas to get the mobile Internet to work?? I'll cry if I can't get whatsapp to work when I got there :(

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

From what I've read on the GoPhone plans, you have to add a separate data package. So, even if you've purchased the $50 unlimited plan which is supposed to include talk, text, and data, it doesn't include data for smartphones. You'll have to add a data package which is $5, $15, or $25 based on their website's information. I believe the $25 is the best deal for GoPhone data plans, which gives you 500 MB.

Depending on how much you'll be talking, you may want to consider the $25 per month plan which includes unlimited texting and 250 talk minutes. Anything over 250 is charged at 10 cents per minute.

You can also use the pay as you go plan, but talk is still 10 cents per minute and texts are 20 cents each. Again, you'll need a separate data package for whatever plan you choose.

If you're light into browsing, this is probably good for you. However, since you've already got an iPhone 4S, you can always use the regular AT&T carrier if you want, which has more affordable plans and better data allowances - and you don't have to enter a contract because you already have a phone.

It all depends on YOUR browsing needs. Of course if you talk a lot and text a lot, you can always go with the $50 unlimited GoPhone plan and add $25 500 MB data packages as you need them. But, considering that this will cost you $75, you may want to consider a regular plan (not prepaid) - depends on how long you'll be here.

I believe that T-Mobile SIM cards can work in the iPhone 3GS and 4, I'm not sure about 4S, but I did hear that they have a plan for around $50 a month with unlimited talk, text, and data (throttled after 2GB) which recently has been suggested to start supporting 3G data, whereas previously it was using 2G EDGE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.