Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Price64
macrumors newbie

Get OS X Lion now or wait?

Should I get the new OS X Lion or wait for OS X 10.7.3 to be released to the public?
Price64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:53 AM   #2
fisherking
macrumors 68020

yes.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Price64
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherking View Post
yes.
yes get Lion now or wait?
Price64 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Joos24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price64 View Post
Yes, get Lion now. Many of the real bugs (not new features that whiners that don't like change just complain about ) were fixed in 10.7.2. I have had an excellent Lion experience on my 27" late 2009 iMac and Macbook Pro, neither which came with Lion pre-installed.
Also my recommendation is, since it's only $30 is to buy it, install it on a partition on your hard drive and run your apps on it for testing, if you're fine with it then dump your Snow Leopard install and move on with Lion. You will mostly positive but some negative responses here, it's best to try it out on a partition if you're really that concerned.
Don't let people tell you that Lion is only designed for new Macs, they are wrong. Ignore one guy here with the initials "SB", he hates Lion and will try to convince you to stay on Snow Leopard just to satisfy his own agenda against Apple.
Joos24 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:53 AM   #5
fisherking
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price64 View Post
seriously...why do u need us to decide for you?
what are your needs? what mac do u use?
what apps?

it's up to you dude. get it now, or later. or never.
especially without knowing everything about your needs, how can anyone tell u when to upgrade?

i got lion the day it came out, and no regrets.
will be happy to see 10.7.3...and 10.7.4, etc for that matter.

it's up to you.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Frankie4Fingers
Banned

If you currently rely on Spaces in snow leopard now... or are really a heavy Expose user you might want to rethink. I'd upgrade but install it on external drive to play with first.
Frankie4Fingers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:29 PM   #7
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

If you're unsure, you could install it on a partition to test it out. Have you read reviews of Lion? Have you made sure that you won't be losing any of your applications if you upgrade (anything that runs on Rosetta is Snow Leopard won't work). If you've read reviews and some of the posts on MacRumors, you know some people love Lion and some people hate it. The best you can do is research it yourself and make your own decision. We can say yes you should or no you shouldn't, but in the end you're the one that has to live with it.

If you do decide to upgrade, make sure you've done a full backup first. That way you can go back to Snow Leopard if something doesn't work out for you.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:55 PM   #8
gumblecosby
macrumors 6502

Lion is stable now. If you want to update you will be fine. Well it was for me when going from 10.6.8 to 10.7.2. Ive also also updated two other machines to Lion when 10.7.1 came out. They also has no issues with stability. Id recommend it so long as you have no programs that are PowerPC only.
gumblecosby is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:02 PM   #9
BoxerBoy
macrumors member

I am also thinking of changing to Lion. I have my back ups on Time Capsule via Time Machine, will this give me access to Snow Leopard if I wish to revert back.
BoxerBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:07 PM   #10
COMtnBiker
macrumors member

I'm also on the fence:

PROs:
- ability to use iCloud (MobileMe going away next year - yikes)

CONs:
- My perception is that it's not as bulletproof as SL
- Calendar seems more difficult to use with multiple calendars
- Address book seems to be more difficult as well

I'm happy to be "set straight" and move ahead. My main motivation is that I need to either do it since MobileMe is going away, or keep SL and use Google to sync everything.

COMtnBiker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:43 PM   #11
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos24 View Post
Ignore one guy here with the initials "SB", he hates Lion and will try to convince you to stay on Snow Leopard just to satisfy his own agenda against Apple.
Woah does one's opinion really bother you that much?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:55 PM   #12
fisherking
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMtnBiker View Post
I'm also on the fence:

PROs:
- ability to use iCloud (MobileMe going away next year - yikes)

CONs:
- My perception is that it's not as bulletproof as SL
- Calendar seems more difficult to use with multiple calendars
- Address book seems to be more difficult as well

I'm happy to be "set straight" and move ahead. My main motivation is that I need to either do it since MobileMe is going away, or keep SL and use Google to sync everything.

seems stable to me.
the calendar and address book are just UGLY, they work fine...
(you can fix the ugliness with the app "lion tweaks")
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:58 PM   #13
YMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos24 View Post
Ignore one guy here with the initials "SB", he hates Lion and will try to convince you to stay on Snow Leopard just to satisfy his own agenda against Apple.
My initials aren't SB, and I think LION sucks. It was a rushed to release OS that has a number of problems across many platforms. It also works well on several platforms. But it is nowhere near as stable as Snow Leopard.

That being said I have 3 Macs, two on Lion and one on Snow Leopard. The one on SL was on Lion, but I moved it back because I got sick of Lion issues.

My advice to the OP, I wouldn't move unless you need something that Lion offers.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:04 PM   #14
Schtumple
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to Schtumple
I prefer Lion to Snow Leopard and can easily tell the difference when using a machine with SL on it, there's a few nifty gesture shortcuts that Lion brings in that are really nice and slowly become a day to day standard that you get very used to.

Considering how INCREDIBLY cheap it is as well, I'd say get it, worse case scenario you don't like it and go back to SL.

The first release of Lion had a few minor glitches, as all first releases have, but it's received the updates to patch them and now it's all fine and dandy.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:42 PM   #15
xgman
macrumors 68040

Only wait if you want Safari to feel snapier!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:16 PM   #16
TheLegend
macrumors member

I too am tempted to get Lion.

I rely on Expose a lot, and I've been told that I shouldn't upgrade because Mission Control is apparently not as good.

I've had a bit of experience with Lion, and it seemed alright except for that feature, I'd only be going to it for the iCloud functionality though.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:18 AM   #17
kristoffer4
macrumors 6502a

I am also temped to upgrade.

PROs:
-iCloud
-Nicer UI

CONs:
- Not as smooth running as SL? Uses more CPU?
- Worse battery time on my April MBP 13" i5?
kristoffer4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:10 AM   #18
Schtumple
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to Schtumple
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer4 View Post

PROs:
-iCloud
-Nicer UI

CONs:
No change to battery life for me and doesn't run any slower than SL, some things are faster, loading certain smaller apps for example.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:30 AM   #19
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer4 View Post

PROs:
-iCloud
-Nicer UI

CONs:
That's about the gist of it from my experience. I'm back on snow leopard again and can certainly attest to it's speed and buttery smooth graphics. Hadn't realized how much I missed it. Boots much faster as well. (It's nice to be able to boot to a clean desktop without pressing a toggle).

And regardless of what others say here... battery life is definitely much better in SL. I have the same routine every day. 5.5 hours under Lion and now 6.5 again with SL.
Krazy Bill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:12 PM   #20
xgman
macrumors 68040

I would say wait for 10.8 to come out, then after 10.8.2 ask the question here again about 10.8.3 and so on. . . . please . . .
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:05 PM   #21
olderone
macrumors newbie

Lion is a great disapointment

I installed lion on my MacBook Pro, which ran fine on snow leopard and now ... nothing but problems...no other changes but the OS "upgrade". Apps crash, it is slower, it won't shut down, awful... if this performance was acceptable I never would have moved from MS windows.
olderone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:04 AM   #22
kemo
macrumors 6502a

I tried Lion 3 times.. once it comes out - reverted back after 2 days, but okey, I understand its "new" OS, it needs time, so I've waited until 10.7.1 .. same situations except it was faster.. like 24 hours later I was back on SL, and finally once the 10.7.2 comes out I finally said, come on Apple, you have fixed all the issues, so I gave it a shot, unfortunately I went even faster than 24 hours, the OS is not that snappy for me ( mid 2010 i5, 8GB RAM, Intel SSD) as SL is and I really rely on that in my work every day. I hate to be waiting for something and nothing is crashing and lagging and freezing like on Lion. I'm really dissapointed about Lion and all I have is just hope they finally make it usable for all users in 10.7.3.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:28 AM   #23
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemo View Post
I'm really dissapointed about Lion and all I have is just hope they finally make it usable for all users in 10.7.3.
Don't hold your breath. I believe most of 10.7.3 will be more tweaks pertaining to iCloud.

And I really doubt Apple is worried about people with sluggish systems so don't expect it to perform vastly different. As hardware tech gets faster, the code of any OS seems to demand more from it making it bloated. You can tell simply by reinstalling Snow Leopard... it flies compared to Lion.
Krazy Bill is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:33 PM   #24
alksion
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to alksion
Why do people get down ranked when talking positive about Lion?

I have it on my MacBook and not on my iMac.. Only reason I will probably put it on my iMac is for the iCloud features.

Only problem (as of yesterday) with Lion is that I have to reconnect to my WiFi almost every time the computer wakes from sleep!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 02:26 AM   #25
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by alksion View Post
Why do people get down ranked when talking positive about Lion?

I have it on my MacBook and not on my iMac.. Only reason I will probably put it on my iMac is for the iCloud features.

Only problem (as of yesterday) with Lion is that I have to reconnect to my WiFi almost every time the computer wakes from sleep!
Because all the cool kids prefer Snow Leopard.
theSeb is offline   -4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion