Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:41 PM   #1
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502

Bulk AVI to M4V conversion with metadata?

So I have a lot of TV Shows that I love to keep around. However for the ease of use for my wife I was thinking of converting them and putting them into my iTunes. However right now they are setup with Series\Season\with varying filenames under it, however plex does a great job with putting them in correctly. I would also prefer something free of course

Is their anything that I can use that I can simply drag and drop a folder into and it will convert and put it in all the metadata so it goes into iTunes correctly? I have my i5 mini but ideally I would rather do it on my i7 2700k windows box.

Thanks in advance.
jmcgeejr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 09:55 PM   #2
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a

No idea for Windows, don't use it. For Mac, there's a fantastic one called iVI (you will need the Pro version to do DVD conversions) otherwise the $3.99 version on the Mac App Store will work great for AVIs and such. It does the conversions, fills in the metadata, and imports to iTunes, all automatic. I've had great luck with it, bought the $9.95 "Pro" because I wanted to be able to do DVD conversions from time to time as well.
chiefpavvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:03 PM   #3
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpavvy View Post
No idea for Windows, don't use it. For Mac, there's a fantastic one called iVI (you will need the Pro version to do DVD conversions) otherwise the $3.99 version on the Mac App Store will work great for AVIs and such. It does the conversions, fills in the metadata, and imports to iTunes, all automatic. I've had great luck with it, bought the $9.95 "Pro" because I wanted to be able to do DVD conversions from time to time as well.
No need for DVD's but that's a great app, I just purchased it, thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:06 PM   #4
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgeejr View Post
No need for DVD's but that's a great app, I just purchased it, thanks!
Most welcome

I had a few folders of AVIs myself I just had never gotten around to encoding and tagging for iTunes. A couple seasons of various TV programs. iVI took it all in and the next day I had it all done, was great.
chiefpavvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:35 PM   #5
jmcgeejr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpavvy View Post
Most welcome

I had a few folders of AVIs myself I just had never gotten around to encoding and tagging for iTunes. A couple seasons of various TV programs. iVI took it all in and the next day I had it all done, was great.
This is great, thanks again, I only wish I had a faster machine now , sadly my windows box would run laps on my mini but oh well. I am all for convenience more so than speed.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:31 AM   #6
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

I have ivi and iFlicks, paid for them both. For avi and MKV I mainly use iFlicks just bc I like the GUI better and did some testing when the developer was adding new features. They are both good. I still prefer the paid version of idendtify2 for tagging bc is was many more editable fields and many options on renaming the file.
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater