Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

View Poll Results: Which beats would you choose ?
Pros 22 61.11%
Studios 14 38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:43 AM   #1
Lya
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Beats studio vs beats pro

Hi guys,
I know that most of you hate beats, but I got a discount on a french site and I can't resist them.
I have to choose between the Beats By Dre pro and studio.
I can get the pros for 299€ ($389) and the studios for 262€ ($341) instead of 399€ ($520) and 299€ ($389)...
(taking in consideration that EVERYTHING is more expensive here)
Given the circumstances, I have to get them now, so I thought I would ask for your help.
I'm afraid that the pros are too awkward to carry around (I'm a teenage girl), and I need comfort and good sound reduction. I'm not an audiophile, so I might be tempted to choose the studios. But getting the pros would be a better deal.
Which should I choose ?
Thanks in advance !
__________________
32GB iPhone 4S ; 64GB iPad 2 ; 32 GB iPod touch 4G; 17" MacBook Pro (2011)
Lya is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:54 AM   #2
Frenchjay
macrumors 68000
 
Frenchjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lya View Post
Hi guys,
I know that most of you hate beats, but I got a discount on a french site and I can't resist them.
I have to choose between the Beats By Dre pro and studio.
I can get the pros for 299€ ($389) and the studios for 262€ ($341) instead of 399€ ($520) and 299€ ($389)...
(taking in consideration that EVERYTHING is more expensive here)
Given the circumstances, I have to get them now, so I thought I would ask for your help.
I'm afraid that the pros are too awkward to carry around (I'm a teenage girl), and I need comfort and good sound reduction. I'm not an audiophile, so I might be tempted to choose the studios. But getting the pros would be a better deal.
Which should I choose ?
Thanks in advance !
Please save yourself some money and get better sound by buying these.

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pa...ductId=AHD1100

They have a ton of bass but are very clear also. You can pick these up for less than 100 Euro's and they sound amazing. If you have your heart set on beats though get the Pros as they are better than the Studios. They both are really not worth the money even with that discount. Is the site you are buying from an authorised dealer as well? If not they could be fake headphones.

Do you want Beats just because of the looks or because they have a lot of bass?
__________________
"stay hungry, stay foolish"
Steve Jobs 
Frenchjay is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:07 AM   #3
shere
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchjay View Post
Please save yourself some money and get better sound by buying these.

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pa...ductId=AHD1100

They have a ton of bass but are very clear also. You can pick these up for less than 100 Euro's and they sound amazing. If you have your heart set on beats though get the Pros as they are better than the Studios. They both are really not worth the money even with that discount. Is the site you are buying from an authorised dealer as well? If not they could be fake headphones.

Do you want Beats just because of the looks or because they have a lot of bass?
so u think beats not that good? instead of denon?
shere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:13 AM   #4
Frenchjay
macrumors 68000
 
Frenchjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shere View Post
so u think beats not that good? instead of denon?
I don't think, i know these headphone are better than the Beats by a mile. The Beats are a slick marketing campaign. They don't have good drivers, they have bad build quality and the bass sounds bad because there is too much of it.

I can promise you these and other headphones can produce better sound than the beats for a lower price.
__________________
"stay hungry, stay foolish"
Steve Jobs 
Frenchjay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:23 AM   #5
Lya
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchjay View Post
Do you want Beats just because of the looks or because they have a lot of bass?
Thanks for the great advice, but I really want the Beats. To be perfectly honest, it's mainly because they look great. And they sound good IMO. As a girl, I would feel awkward wearing big, black headphones in public.
So I'm definitely going to take this opportunity and get the Beats, but I'm having a hard time choosing...
Thanks again
__________________
32GB iPhone 4S ; 64GB iPad 2 ; 32 GB iPod touch 4G; 17" MacBook Pro (2011)
Lya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:38 AM   #6
Certinfy
macrumors 6502a
 
Certinfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London
I would seriously stick away from the Beats too, absolutely rip offs for what they are. But hey if you want to look great in public then go ahead I guess.
Certinfy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:04 AM   #7
Frenchjay
macrumors 68000
 
Frenchjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lya View Post
Thanks for the great advice, but I really want the Beats. To be perfectly honest, it's mainly because they look great. And they sound good IMO. As a girl, I would feel awkward wearing big, black headphones in public.
So I'm definitely going to take this opportunity and get the Beats, but I'm having a hard time choosing...
Thanks again
No problem Please be careful where you buy your headphones from though as the Beats are some of the most copied headphones on the market. Make sure 100% the site you buy them from is an authorised dealer or you may end up getting fakes.
__________________
"stay hungry, stay foolish"
Steve Jobs 
Frenchjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:05 AM   #8
TwinCitiesJHawk
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I had the studios for about a year and half, then upgraded to the pros about 6 months ago and glad I did. Comfort was the best part of the studios but every time I closed them to put them in the case I felt like I was going to break them. As for the pros, they don’t advertise noise cancelling, but they do quite well. The sound is better than the studios IMO - really rich bass and amazing treble.

The only complaint I have with the pros for about a month, after wearing them for hours they started hurting my ears, it doesn’t do it so much anymore. If you have the cash, get the pros for sure.
TwinCitiesJHawk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:28 AM   #9
greenchiliman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago
Beats are like BOSE 2.0 = crap 2.0

doesn't matter if you are an audiophile or not. there are several headsets that will sound way better for way less. if you are only interested that they look good, then just get whatever you think look best. not sure what answer you want from us.

----------

PS- I have a set of spyder in-ear headphone that I love
greenchiliman is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Outrigger
macrumors 65816
 
Outrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
The OP isn't asking which brands are the best for her. I'm sure she already knows she can get better cans for same or less money. Her priority is style over substance. So for all the people recommending every other brand isn't really helping her.
__________________
iMac | Intel i7 3.4GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB Fusion | GTX 680MX
Mini | Intel i5 2.5GHz | 8GB RAM | 750GBSSD | AMD 6630M
rMBP 13 | Intel i5 2.6Ghz | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD
Outrigger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:36 AM   #11
vtclan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I really love my studios. As far as beats go, the studios are more balanced and less bass heavy compared to the others. The studios are comfortable and after a while of wearing them I almost forget theyre on because they're so light.

I went to bestbuy the other day and put on a pair of pros and must say they feel like a tank compared to the studios. They felt a lot more clunky and had a tighter fit around the ear. However, they did sound better than the studios. The studios also have a sound leakage problem so if that's something that bothers you, you should get the pros. Hope this helps!
vtclan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:56 PM   #12
Lya
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenchiliman View Post
not sure what answer you want from us.
I just wanted to know people's opinion and experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchjay View Post
No problem Please be careful where you buy your headphones from though as the Beats are some of the most copied headphones on the market. Make sure 100% the site you buy them from is an authorised dealer or you may end up getting fakes.
Oh thanks, I just verified on Monster's website, and it seems legit!


I think I'll end up getting the studios since I don't break things. I guess I'll wait a couple of years until I get some pro headphones. My headphones will be used daily so I need comfort, and the sound leakage won't bother me : I'm getting noise canceling headphones so I can listen at a low volume. It sucks that studios don't sound as good, but they're still great, it's not like the sound quality was poor
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, it's really helpful !
__________________
32GB iPhone 4S ; 64GB iPad 2 ; 32 GB iPod touch 4G; 17" MacBook Pro (2011)
Lya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:10 PM   #13
Frenchjay
macrumors 68000
 
Frenchjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
That's great that they are a legit dealer. Just for some reference this is a review of the Denon headphones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAEmi...e_gdata_player

I get that the Beats look nice and all that but if you bought these people would be seriously impressed with the sound.

Noise cancelling headphones tend to take a hit on sound quality as well
__________________
"stay hungry, stay foolish"
Steve Jobs 
Frenchjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:18 PM   #14
EvilShenaniganZ
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
The OP isn't asking which brands are the best for her. I'm sure she already knows she can get better cans for same or less money. Her priority is style over substance. So for all the people recommending every other brand isn't really helping her.
So if somebody said to you " I want blue crap or red crap I don't like brown". You wouldn’t suggest perhaps save your money and don't buy crap?
Go ahead waste your money on a gimmick...... They tried.
__________________
HTC ONE X, 2012 15"RMBP, 64g Ipad-4

"it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense."
EvilShenaniganZ is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:37 PM   #15
vtclan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilShenaniganZ View Post
So if somebody said to you " I want blue crap or red crap I don't like brown". You wouldn’t suggest perhaps save your money and don't buy crap?
Go ahead waste your money on a gimmick...... They tried.
The same could be said from a die hard android fan to someone whos considering an iphone. At the end of the day, people on this forum will still choose the iphone.
vtclan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:23 PM   #16
labman
macrumors 604
 
labman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mich near Detroit
you guys heard the OP looks matters sound Doesn't. So since the only choices you want are beats and pro. so as long as you want crap buy the better pro crap! Sorry op id you check audiophile reviews beats and even the Dennon aren't that great! based on your choice I vote pro! however if it's style hat really matters then you really want the Studio new colors.
__________________
IP4+Hackintosh Pro Joining AT&T PM me get $25 Dev-Teams Blog My TwitterCan I JB/UL my device Click here
labman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:08 PM   #17
Outrigger
macrumors 65816
 
Outrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilShenaniganZ View Post
So if somebody said to you " I want blue crap or red crap I don't like brown". You wouldn’t suggest perhaps save your money and don't buy crap?
Go ahead waste your money on a gimmick...... They tried.
The OP posted Pro vs. studio as choices, there isn't a third one so obviously, she is only interested in one of two. what you see as a gimmick, other sees value. thats why its called opinion. Just like someone may see the iphone as a toy, but you might see it differently.

sometimes, people are so biased or loyal to certain brands that they forget to actually help the OP's question.
__________________
iMac | Intel i7 3.4GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB Fusion | GTX 680MX
Mini | Intel i5 2.5GHz | 8GB RAM | 750GBSSD | AMD 6630M
rMBP 13 | Intel i5 2.6Ghz | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:09 AM   #18
chrisvee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
From the quick Google search of the two, I'd go with the Pros for sure. The Studio version looks as if the headband would snap right away - as did my cousin's that looked like that.

I just went ahead and ordered some fake ones online for like $10.
__________________
13" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz (2010, 8GB RAM, 750GB XT, ML/W8) | iPhone 5 16GB | iPod nano 8GB (6th Gen) | Nexus 7 32GB
follow me on twitter! | sign up for dropbox here for an extra 500MB!
chrisvee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:41 AM   #19
djransom
macrumors 68040
 
djransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chi-Town
I would definitely go with the Pros OP as they are more rugged than the Studios.
__________________
Live and love life
djransom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:44 AM   #20
nutritious
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Lya--trust.

Beats are not very good. The only decent beats headphone are the Pros. And even then, the pros are not worth $400. You can easily find headphones that sound much better for less money. An example would be the ath-m50. If it wasn't for the slick marketing campaign by monster and them using dre's name, I don't think people would have been duped into buying such poor headphones for the price.


However, if you want to look good in public, I know some headphones that will sound BETTER than the beats, have higher build quality, and will deliver much better sound and comfort.

Sennheiser Adidas HD 25 --- $230




you can buy them here: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Adi...4481939&sr=8-2


Another one would be the V-Moda M-80....$199



http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfa...4482082&sr=1-1

The V-Moda may not be your style, but people do find them stylish. Personally, I'd get the HD25s I recommended. I think you'll like their styling, comfort, and their sound much more than the beats.

Last edited by nutritious; Dec 21, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
nutritious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:39 AM   #21
Rocko1
macrumors 68000
 
Rocko1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Beats are for people who think they will make them look cool, that's it. Anyone in a studio or real DJ would not spend a penny on these headphones. When a companies marketing budget is 100X what their R&D budget is, you should run for z hills!
Rocko1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:31 AM   #22
WhoAmI2
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lya View Post
Thanks for the great advice, but I really want the Beats. To be perfectly honest, it's mainly because they look great..... and every one that sees me with them will think I'm cool!
Thanks again
Fixed your quote for you. I guess when I was young I wanted to look cool at the expense of quality too. We all learn some day. Maybe find the best quality item for your price and maybe not the one that looks the best (or the one that all the "cool" kids have)

IF you must have beats (as you stated you must) go with the Pros for no other reason than being a pro sounds cooler than being a studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
So for all the people recommending every other brand isn't really helping her.
Sure it is. They are trying to educate her on quality vs trendy/cool. Maybe OP didn't look at other options because all the cool kids are telling her she has to have phones from the almighty Dr. Dre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtclan View Post
The same could be said from a die hard android fan to someone whos considering an iphone. At the end of the day, people on this forum will still choose the iphone.
This would only apply if this was a headphone forum. As it stands your argument makes no sense.

Last edited by WhoAmI2; Mar 26, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
WhoAmI2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:51 PM   #23
imHappy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
+1 for V-Moda

- M80 for general listening - good for almost any genre

- Lp2 for basshead - If you love electronica, you WILL love this babes.

Looks matter? Metal > Plastic. Overall the aesthetics of these imo are superior. Not to mention durability which beats SERIOUSLY lacks.
imHappy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:03 PM   #24
pablo7
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA.
They both suck.....................

Last edited by pablo7; Mar 28, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
pablo7 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:40 PM   #25
Zxxv
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK
Wirelessly posted

If Beats are so crap why are mixers and djs using them? Surely song makers would know better? But some amazing tunes are being made by guys who use beats.
Zxxv is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beats Breakdown: Apple Paying $2.5B for Beats Electronics, $500M for Beats Music MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 166 Jun 3, 2014 11:11 AM
Beats Pro by Monster vs Beats by Dr Dre Pro Paulshaqz Digital Audio 10 Oct 22, 2013 09:17 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC