Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which beats would you choose ?

• Pros

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Studios

Votes: 14 37.8%

• Total voters

Lya

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Hi guys,
I know that most of you hate beats, but I got a discount on a french site and I can't resist them.
I have to choose between the Beats By Dre pro and studio.
I can get the pros for 299€ ($389) and the studios for 262€ ($341) instead of 399€ ($520) and 299€ ($389)...
(taking in consideration that EVERYTHING is more expensive here)
Given the circumstances, I have to get them now, so I thought I would ask for your help.
I'm afraid that the pros are too awkward to carry around (I'm a teenage girl), and I need comfort and good sound reduction. I'm not an audiophile, so I might be tempted to choose the studios. But getting the pros would be a better deal.
Which should I choose ?
Thanks in advance !

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Hi guys,
I know that most of you hate beats, but I got a discount on a french site and I can't resist them.
I have to choose between the Beats By Dre pro and studio.
I can get the pros for 299€ ($389) and the studios for 262€ ($341) instead of 399€ ($520) and 299€ ($389)...
(taking in consideration that EVERYTHING is more expensive here)
Given the circumstances, I have to get them now, so I thought I would ask for your help.
I'm afraid that the pros are too awkward to carry around (I'm a teenage girl), and I need comfort and good sound reduction. I'm not an audiophile, so I might be tempted to choose the studios. But getting the pros would be a better deal.
Which should I choose ?
Thanks in advance !

Please save yourself some money and get better sound by buying these.

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/Product/P...nes&SubId=OverEarHeadphones&ProductId=AHD1100

They have a ton of bass but are very clear also. You can pick these up for less than 100 Euro's and they sound amazing. If you have your heart set on beats though get the Pros as they are better than the Studios. They both are really not worth the money even with that discount. Is the site you are buying from an authorised dealer as well? If not they could be fake headphones.

Do you want Beats just because of the looks or because they have a lot of bass?

shere

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011
Please save yourself some money and get better sound by buying these.

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/Product/P...nes&SubId=OverEarHeadphones&ProductId=AHD1100

They have a ton of bass but are very clear also. You can pick these up for less than 100 Euro's and they sound amazing. If you have your heart set on beats though get the Pros as they are better than the Studios. They both are really not worth the money even with that discount. Is the site you are buying from an authorised dealer as well? If not they could be fake headphones.

so u think beats not that good? instead of denon?

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
so u think beats not that good? instead of denon?

I don't think, i know these headphone are better than the Beats by a mile. The Beats are a slick marketing campaign. They don't have good drivers, they have bad build quality and the bass sounds bad because there is too much of it.

I can promise you these and other headphones can produce better sound than the beats for a lower price.

Lya

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for the great advice, but I really want the Beats. To be perfectly honest, it's mainly because they look great. And they sound good IMO. As a girl, I would feel awkward wearing big, black headphones in public.:(
So I'm definitely going to take this opportunity and get the Beats, but I'm having a hard time choosing...
Thanks again :)

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
I would seriously stick away from the Beats too, absolutely rip offs for what they are. But hey if you want to look great in public then go ahead I guess.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Thanks for the great advice, but I really want the Beats. To be perfectly honest, it's mainly because they look great. And they sound good IMO. As a girl, I would feel awkward wearing big, black headphones in public.:(
So I'm definitely going to take this opportunity and get the Beats, but I'm having a hard time choosing...

No problem :) Please be careful where you buy your headphones from though as the Beats are some of the most copied headphones on the market. Make sure 100% the site you buy them from is an authorised dealer or you may end up getting fakes.

TwinCitiesJHawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
I had the studios for about a year and half, then upgraded to the pros about 6 months ago and glad I did. Comfort was the best part of the studios but every time I closed them to put them in the case I felt like I was going to break them. As for the pros, they don’t advertise noise cancelling, but they do quite well. The sound is better than the studios IMO - really rich bass and amazing treble.

The only complaint I have with the pros for about a month, after wearing them for hours they started hurting my ears, it doesn’t do it so much anymore. If you have the cash, get the pros for sure.

greenchiliman

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Chicago
Beats are like BOSE 2.0 = crap 2.0

doesn't matter if you are an audiophile or not. there are several headsets that will sound way better for way less. if you are only interested that they look good, then just get whatever you think look best. not sure what answer you want from us. :confused:

----------

PS- I have a set of spyder in-ear headphone that I love

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
The OP isn't asking which brands are the best for her. I'm sure she already knows she can get better cans for same or less money. Her priority is style over substance. So for all the people recommending every other brand isn't really helping her.

vtclan

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
I really love my studios. As far as beats go, the studios are more balanced and less bass heavy compared to the others. The studios are comfortable and after a while of wearing them I almost forget theyre on because they're so light.

I went to bestbuy the other day and put on a pair of pros and must say they feel like a tank compared to the studios. They felt a lot more clunky and had a tighter fit around the ear. However, they did sound better than the studios. The studios also have a sound leakage problem so if that's something that bothers you, you should get the pros. Hope this helps!

Lya

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
not sure what answer you want from us. :confused:
I just wanted to know people's opinion and experiences :eek:

No problem :) Please be careful where you buy your headphones from though as the Beats are some of the most copied headphones on the market. Make sure 100% the site you buy them from is an authorised dealer or you may end up getting fakes.
Oh thanks, I just verified on Monster's website, and it seems legit! :D

I think I'll end up getting the studios since I don't break things. I guess I'll wait a couple of years until I get some pro headphones. My headphones will be used daily so I need comfort, and the sound leakage won't bother me : I'm getting noise canceling headphones so I can listen at a low volume. It sucks that studios don't sound as good, but they're still great, it's not like the sound quality was poor :)
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, it's really helpful !

EvilShenaniganZ

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009
The OP isn't asking which brands are the best for her. I'm sure she already knows she can get better cans for same or less money. Her priority is style over substance. So for all the people recommending every other brand isn't really helping her.

So if somebody said to you " I want blue crap or red crap I don't like brown". You wouldn’t suggest perhaps save your money and don't buy crap? :confused:
Go ahead waste your money on a gimmick...... They tried. :rolleyes:

vtclan

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
So if somebody said to you " I want blue crap or red crap I don't like brown". You wouldn’t suggest perhaps save your money and don't buy crap? :confused:

The same could be said from a die hard android fan to someone whos considering an iphone. At the end of the day, people on this forum will still choose the iphone.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
you guys heard the OP looks matters sound Doesn't. So since the only choices you want are beats and pro. so as long as you want crap buy the better pro crap! Sorry op id you check audiophile reviews beats and even the Dennon aren't that great! based on your choice I vote pro! however if it's style hat really matters then you really want the Studio new colors.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008

The OP posted Pro vs. studio as choices, there isn't a third one so obviously, she is only interested in one of two. what you see as a gimmick, other sees value. thats why its called opinion. Just like someone may see the iphone as a toy, but you might see it differently.

sometimes, people are so biased or loyal to certain brands that they forget to actually help the OP's question.

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
From the quick Google search of the two, I'd go with the Pros for sure. The Studio version looks as if the headband would snap right away - as did my cousin's that looked like that.

I just went ahead and ordered some fake ones online for like $10. :rolleyes:

nutritious

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
Lya--trust.

Beats are not very good. The only decent beats headphone are the Pros. And even then, the pros are not worth $400. You can easily find headphones that sound much better for less money. An example would be the ath-m50. If it wasn't for the slick marketing campaign by monster and them using dre's name, I don't think people would have been duped into buying such poor headphones for the price.

However, if you want to look good in public, I know some headphones that will sound BETTER than the beats, have higher build quality, and will deliver much better sound and comfort.

Sennheiser Adidas HD 25 --- $230
Sennheiser-Adidas-HD-25-Orginals-Headphones.jpg

61dwt%2BAbSwL.jpg

you can buy them here: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Ad...0QBG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324481939&sr=8-2

Another one would be the V-Moda M-80....$199

vmoda.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossf...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324482082&sr=1-1

The V-Moda may not be your style, but people do find them stylish. Personally, I'd get the HD25s I recommended. I think you'll like their styling, comfort, and their sound much more than the beats.

Last edited:

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Beats are for people who think they will make them look cool, that's it. Anyone in a studio or real DJ would not spend a penny on these headphones. When a companies marketing budget is 100X what their R&D budget is, you should run for z hills!

WhoAmI2

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Thanks for the great advice, but I really want the Beats. To be perfectly honest, it's mainly because they look great..... and every one that sees me with them will think I'm cool!

Fixed your quote for you. I guess when I was young I wanted to look cool at the expense of quality too. We all learn some day. Maybe find the best quality item for your price and maybe not the one that looks the best (or the one that all the "cool" kids have)

IF you must have beats (as you stated you must) go with the Pros for no other reason than being a pro sounds cooler than being a studio.

So for all the people recommending every other brand isn't really helping her.
Sure it is. They are trying to educate her on quality vs trendy/cool. Maybe OP didn't look at other options because all the cool kids are telling her she has to have phones from the almighty Dr. Dre.

The same could be said from a die hard android fan to someone whos considering an iphone. At the end of the day, people on this forum will still choose the iphone.
This would only apply if this was a headphone forum. As it stands your argument makes no sense.

Last edited:

imHappy

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
+1 for V-Moda

- M80 for general listening - good for almost any genre

- Lp2 for basshead - If you love electronica, you WILL love this babes.

Looks matter? Metal > Plastic. Overall the aesthetics of these imo are superior. Not to mention durability which beats SERIOUSLY lacks.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted

If Beats are so crap why are mixers and djs using them? Surely song makers would know better? But some amazing tunes are being made by guys who use beats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.