Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old May 30, 2005, 08:26 PM   #1
Hoef
macrumors 6502a

Voice over IP + Alarm System

After my move I was thinking of switching to Vonage rather than getting a $50/mo land line. However, I might need alarm too (insurance) ... Would such thing work with internet phone. Any Mac heroes out there having tried this? This thread has some info, but not enough for me
Hoef is offline   0
Old May 30, 2005, 09:13 PM   #2
neoserver
macrumors 6502

make sure you know about 911 service with VoIP... its not the same as with a land line. the ERD will not know your location. Your calls get sent to a different telephone and my go unanswered. your alarm should probably work, unless your internet goes out.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:25 AM   #3
Sparky22
macrumors newbie

Can anyone offer info on quality and limitations on service of voip?
I was thinking about using Vonage also
Sparky22 is offline   0
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:37 AM   #4
MacFan25863
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to MacFan25863
I suggest keeping the lowest possible landline service in addition to your Vonage as a backup. It's useful for when the Power goes out (a common thing in the summer in SoCal), plus you don't have to deal with any of the 911 problems or the alarm problems.

Ours costs $9.95/month plus like $5 in taxes. I think of it as an Insurance Policy. It's worth it.

PS: I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that even if you dial 911 from a disconnected line, it goes through...am I right?
MacFan25863 is offline   0
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:49 AM   #5
neoserver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFan25863
PS: I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that even if you dial 911 from a disconnected line, it goes through...am I right?
By disconnected, you mean that the service is just disabled and the line is still physically connected right? In that case, it would probably work, but I'm not sure about that, but it would be worth an expiriment if they didn't fine you for phoning and hanging up *sigh*...
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:53 AM   #6
Hoef
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFan25863
Ours costs $9.95/month plus like $5 in taxes. I think of it as an Insurance Policy. It's worth it.
Mmm... I am not sure whether I can get a phoneline this cheap here in TX
Hoef is offline   0
Old Jun 1, 2005, 08:55 AM   #7
Symtex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky22
Can anyone offer info on quality and limitations on service of voip?
I was thinking about using Vonage also
- no phone when your internet is down
- no phone when you have no electricity
- Fax, alarm system or any other devices that requires an analogue line (PSTN) won't work with VoIP
- Limited 911 service

In terms of quality, it depends on which codec your provider is using. Most VoIP provider used G.711 or G.729 which has a respectable voice quality.
Symtex is online now   0
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:07 AM   #8
emw
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symtex
- no phone when your internet is down
- no phone when you have no electricity
- Fax, alarm system or any other devices that requires an analogue line (PSTN) won't work with VoIP
- Limited 911 service

In terms of quality, it depends on which codec your provider is using. Most VoIP provider used G.711 or G.729 which has a respectable voice quality.
I agree with all of these points except that alarm systems won't work. We have an alarm system and checked into using it with VoIP a couple of weeks ago, and they confirmed that it would work.

Of course, that still is predicated on the fact that you have power, which is something that could be accomplished with a relatively inexpensive UPS system on the router/VoIP box.

Note that many people run exclusively with cordless phones - these won't work in a power outage either, so keep a corded phone handy for those situations.

Or, of course, just use your cell phone.

Also note that new legislation requires that by this fall (I believe that's the time frame), all VoIP services must provide 911 access on par with land lines.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 10:11 AM   #9
Symtex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by emw
I agree with all of these points except that alarm systems won't work. We have an alarm system and checked into using it with VoIP a couple of weeks ago, and they confirmed that it would work.

Of course, that still is predicated on the fact that you have power, which is something that could be accomplished with a relatively inexpensive UPS system on the router/VoIP box.

Note that many people run exclusively with cordless phones - these won't work in a power outage either, so keep a corded phone handy for those situations.

Or, of course, just use your cell phone.

Also note that new legislation requires that by this fall (I believe that's the time frame), all VoIP services must provide 911 access on par with land lines.
Most Alarm system company refuse to hook up their product with a VoIp for reliabilty. What happen is someone rob your house and your internet is not working ? I strongly suggest to have a plain old PSTN line for Alarm system ( I work for a VoIP Provider so we come accros that question quite often )

The 911 legistlation is a neccessary step for any VoIP Provider and i'm glad they have rules that it is now mandatory. Company like Vonage offer really basic 911 services. Make sure you ask all the question regarding 911 functionnality when you order VoIP. You will be suprise about the fine print.
Symtex is online now   0
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:17 AM   #10
emw
macrumors 603

Quote:
Most Alarm system company refuse to hook up their product with a VoIp for reliabilty. What happen is someone rob your house and your internet is not working ? I strongly suggest to have a plain old PSTN line for Alarm system ( I work for a VoIP Provider so we come accros that question quite often )
Perhaps, but our alarm provider (ADT) said they were perfectly willing to hook up to VoIP.

Also, I think the largest deterrent to theft is the alarm going off - they're not going to know your internet service isn't working. Besides, if they know anything about alarms, they'll have already cut the phone line - but probably not the cable line feeding your internet service.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:21 AM   #11
Symtex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by emw
Perhaps, but our alarm provider (ADT) said they were perfectly willing to hook up to VoIP.

Also, I think the largest deterrent to theft is the alarm going off - they're not going to know your internet service isn't working. Besides, if they know anything about alarms, they'll have already cut the phone line - but probably not the cable line feeding your internet service.
I'm wondering how much the VoIP Provider is liable for a non-function of the alarm system cause by the VoIP not be avaible due to Internet Shortage.
Symtex is online now   0
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:34 AM   #12
emw
macrumors 603

Quote:
I'm wondering how much the VoIP Provider is liable for a non-function of the alarm system cause by the VoIP not be avaible due to Internet Shortage.
I don't know, but I think it would be fairly limited. The VoIP providers aren't the Internet providers. Is the phone company liable if service is out while you're being robbed? I would think they aren't, but these days it seems that everyone is liable for something.

Besides, alarm systems should use some sort of "Nextel-like" functionality where they can "walkie-talkie" to the main hub when the alarm goes off, using a private cellular network, not rely upon third-party phone or internet service providers.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:07 PM   #13
superbovine
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoef
Mmm... I am not sure whether I can get a phoneline this cheap here in TX

FYI: if someone knows what they are doing they will cut the outside line of the house before they enter it anyways.

Last edited by superbovine; Jun 1, 2005 at 02:07 PM.
superbovine is offline   0
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:17 PM   #14
atszyman
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to atszyman
Quote:
Actually this is untrue. My office has flipped over to Vonage and we routinely fax using a VOIP phone line. I also have 2 co-workers who have flipped at home and have hooked up their alarms without any troubles.
atszyman is offline   0
Old Jun 1, 2005, 12:21 PM   #15
Symtex
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by atszyman
Actually this is untrue. My office has flipped over to Vonage and we routinely fax using a VOIP phone line. I also have 2 co-workers who have flipped at home and have hooked up their alarms without any troubles.
It depends on the provider. They have to implement a special codec for Fax/ VoIP. I think if I remember correctly, to be able to use a Fax @ maximum speed transmission with Vonage , there is a cost of 12,99$ / month additional to your regular VoIP line.

A fax that transmit @ less then 5300 baud will function correctly on a regular VoIP transmission without any additionnel codec.
Symtex is online now   0
Old Jun 1, 2005, 11:09 PM   #16
Hoef
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by emw
We're having ADT as well .... I check again with the company to know their stance.
Hoef is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion