Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
I want to stream music from my mac to my hifi amp and speakers.

Airport express is perfect but I'm also due to buy an apple tv. Will the atv output optical into my amp and stream just like it does on the airport express?

Only thing is I don't want to have the tv on to control it all. Perhaps just turn on the atv, plug in the optical cable and use the remote app?

I have and airport express sitting right here so if anyone knows the answer please let me know before I open it and can't return it.

Thanks!

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have the HDMI cable from my Apple TV to my TV. I also have the optical cable from my Apple TV to my receiver. I can leave the TV off and get sound out of the receiver.

I'm curious as to why you would need the remote app though. Once you start your music from your idevice, send it via AirPlay to your Apple TV, you can just control the music from the idevice.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
The Apple TV will function the same as a Express in streaming from your Mac's iTunes.

The original Apple TV upsampled everything from the digital output, including CD 44.1 khz, to a default 48 khz. I don't think the 2nd Gen changed anything.

I have a 1st Gen hooked up to my stereo at the moment. It sounds fine, but possibly a fraction brighter than my normal 44.1 source.

Unless you are fanatical about audio or can afford both, i'd return the express and take advantage of the AppleTv's extra functionality.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I'm curious as to why you would need the remote app though. Once you start your music from your idevice, send it via AirPlay to your Apple TV, you can just control the music from the idevice.

How about not wanting to drain the battery extra fast? Or having a bigger/better library on the computer?

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
The re-sample by Apple TV is what is concerning me the most

I have a very good amp + dac and all my music is uncompressed.

I admit i don't know what affect 44.1 kHz to 48 kHz will have on the music but what i have read seems to suggest it isn't ideal.

Im happy to have both, despite them being less than a few meters away from each other. However if the Apple TV would do music quality just as good as the airport express it would be a waste of money.

Its the 48 kHz thats bugging me.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
If it is already bugging you, I would stick with the Airport Express unless you want the numerous other features on the Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.