Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:54 AM   #1
pdafan
macrumors member

Need Help to Fix Error 11: iPhone 3GS 4.1 to 5.0.1

I have a locked iPhone 3GS.
New BootRom: 359.3.2
Baseband: 05.11.07 (eligible BB for unlock)
Current version: iOS 4.1
Platform: Lion 10.7.2

With Ultrasn0w 1.2.5, I would be able to unlock it on iOS 5.0.1.
Before that, as we all know, I need to jailbreak it first on iOS 5.0.1.

With Redsn0w 0.9.9b9d, I successfully created a custom IPSW (NO_BB_iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.1.ipsw.) from original iPhone 3GS 5.0.1 IPSW.

Went into Pwned DFU mode and tried to restore the custom IPSW with iTunes 10.5.1.
Without TinyUmbrella (v5.10.01), iTunes refused to proceed with the restoration on the custom IPSW.
With TinyUmbrella, TSS server on, able to bypass Apple (gs.apple.com). Proceeded one step further but failed on Error 11. (due to absence of BBFW file).

Problem is, I need the BBFW file to be removed so that I can preserve my baseband for the unlock. Therefore I cannot put back the BBFW file to overcome Error 11.

Now I am stuck. Can someone offer me some solutions to complete the jailbreak? I have read quite extensively to self-help. Is there something I am still missing?

Thanks much.
pdafan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:08 AM   #2
freedom8
macrumors newbie

try make custom ipsw by sn0wbreeze v2.8b11, I believe it would not change your BB. Then restore the custom ipsw by itune 10.5. I just succeed to jailbreak and unlock using this way on my iPhone 3Gs new bootrom v5.0.1 baseband 05.16.00. see the post
freedom8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:24 PM   #3
pdafan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom8 View Post
try make custom ipsw by sn0wbreeze v2.8b11, I believe it would not change your BB. Then restore the custom ipsw by itune 10.5. I just succeed to jailbreak and unlock using this way on my iPhone 3Gs new bootrom v5.0.1 baseband 05.16.00. see the post

Hi,

Great info and advice. Will try it out soonest possible.
Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:32 AM   #4
JunkyDog
macrumors 6502

First you need to update iTunes to latest version around, then you need to edit your host file and remove everything that points to iTunes servers. Save the file, and dont start TU, just press option + restore in iTunes, and select your custom IPSW file. I did that in my 3GS phone, and it worked just fine. Except i will wait for the untethered JB to come out, and it is very soon, so i just want you to know..
JunkyDog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:36 PM   #5
srprentice
macrumors newbie

Talking Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyDog View Post
First you need to update iTunes to latest version around, then you need to edit your host file and remove everything that points to iTunes servers. Save the file, and dont start TU, just press option + restore in iTunes, and select your custom IPSW file. I did that in my 3GS phone, and it worked just fine. Except i will wait for the untethered JB to come out, and it is very soon, so i just want you to know..
Okay, I was on 4.2.1 on my iPhone 4 with 01.59.00. I went to do the update using redsn0w and my iPhone got locked. No matter what shift+click restore I did, it would give me error 11. I did what you said, edited the hosts file (I didn't before, as I though TinyUmbrella already had) and now it WORKS!

I wish I could hug you right now!

THANK YOU!!!!
srprentice is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:53 PM   #6
dt408sc02
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by srprentice View Post
Okay, I was on 4.2.1 on my iPhone 4 with 01.59.00. I went to do the update using redsn0w and my iPhone got locked. No matter what shift+click restore I did, it would give me error 11. I did what you said, edited the hosts file (I didn't before, as I though TinyUmbrella already had) and now it WORKS!

I wish I could hug you right now!

THANK YOU!!!!
I'm jailbroken on 4.3.3 with iPhone 4 GSM, and I got Error 11 after trying to restore to custom no BB 5.0.1 firmware in DFU mode. Tried running TSS server with TinyUmbrella while restoring, but it still wouldn't update.

What changes did you make to your hosts file to fix it?
dt408sc02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:33 AM   #7
pdafan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyDog View Post
Brilliant advice! I have waited for the untethered jailbreak and went for it today according to your steps. It worked beautifully!

Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks