Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Bending Pixels
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
OS X Lion Server - What types of businesses use it (and Mac in general)

This is more of a general question, and partially relates to some potential career path goals.

What types of businesses are adopting OS X Server (and Mac in general). A related question would be what types of businesses are purposely making the switch away from that "other" (inferior ) OS to Mac? I'm currently working on the ACSP 10.7 certifciation (mostly for my own personal knowledge), and am considering purchasing Lion Server and perhaps taking the ACTC 10.7 certfiication. Just wondering what the overall demand is for people knowledgable in both OS X client and server admin and troubleshooting.

Thanks for your help and input.
Bending Pixels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:05 AM   #2
assembled
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London
Not many are, I see more moving away from Apple Servers.

I tend to only see companies that are at least 100 seats, so my sample may be distorted.
assembled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:08 PM   #3
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030
 
Mattie Num Nums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bending Pixels View Post
This is more of a general question, and partially relates to some potential career path goals.

What types of businesses are adopting OS X Server (and Mac in general). A related question would be what types of businesses are purposely making the switch away from that "other" (inferior ) OS to Mac? I'm currently working on the ACSP 10.7 certifciation (mostly for my own personal knowledge), and am considering purchasing Lion Server and perhaps taking the ACTC 10.7 certfiication. Just wondering what the overall demand is for people knowledgable in both OS X client and server admin and troubleshooting.

Thanks for your help and input.
Mostly media and entertainment. A lot of places are looking for alternatives though since the Server line was killed and Lion Server is very wattered down. With that said, a lot of media companies still use Mac Pros for things like XSAN and in my case we use JAMF Caser and host AFP services via Mac Pro's + SSD's.
__________________
I like Apple stuff but, I am not in the Apple cult.
Mattie Num Nums is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:20 PM   #4
JesseDegenerate
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
my os x server runs the following services for me: (not all require server, most don't, but it's easy admin tools your paying for)

Email
Address book
Calendar
VPN
AFP / SMB File shares
Profile Manager
SiriProxy
Plex
TeamSpeak
iCam

there is nothing "watered down" from 10.6 samba is different, but feels basically the same. (or it's replacement does). It only add's services (such as profile server)
JesseDegenerate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Mr-Stabby
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Our Creative Arts department (Technical Media courses and general arts) with 250 users are on Snow Leopard Server running Open Directory exclusively. I'm currently looking at Lion Server.

Although when you first look at it, it appears very watered down, i see why Apple have done what they've done, and everything that you need is there if you know where to look. When i first saw 'Lion Server' i was annoyed at little things like proper permission settings for AFP weren't there, but they are there, just in a different place.

I'm not kidding myself though, there is a lot of work to do on the server. I'm hoping that Apple continue to develop it and that the really cheap pricetag is not just to get whatever money they can out of it before they drop it.
Mr-Stabby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:56 AM   #6
Abacab
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Mac in enterprise

My last two work places were 100 % Mac. From Servers to the Phones.
Apple really has abandoned enterprise which to me is suprising in the fact that you save money on licencing and virus malware software. You need less people to support. And honestly after testing Lion Server is not something I would run.
The trend is most executives have Macbook pro's or Airs, along with I=Pads and phones and incorporating those into a Windows or Linux server environment.
The Mini or Mac Pro running server software is great for a small business that needs the power of a server, but doesn't have the space or resouces to support a Winblows envirnment.
I was lucky enough to work at all Mac offices, but the writing is on the wall and a MSCS cert is in the works.
Anybody else have some stories they would like to share?
Abacab is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:10 PM   #7
JesseDegenerate
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
The Mini or Mac Pro running server software is great for a small business that needs the power of a server, but doesn't have the space or resouces to support a Winblows envirnment.
I was lucky enough to work at all Mac offices, but the writing is on the wall and a MSCS cert is in the works.
Anybody else have some stories they would like to share?
this is entirely untrue, and i've been in this situation. What makes you comment when you don't know?

windows is much much easier when you get to multiple sites, when you need multiple servers with load balancing etc, but OS X server is amazing for small business.
JesseDegenerate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:35 PM   #8
DustinT
macrumors 68000
 
DustinT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
My last two work places were 100 % Mac. From Servers to the Phones.
Apple really has abandoned enterprise which to me is suprising in the fact that you save money on licencing and virus malware software. You need less people to support. And honestly after testing Lion Server is not something I would run.
The trend is most executives have Macbook pro's or Airs, along with I=Pads and phones and incorporating those into a Windows or Linux server environment.
The Mini or Mac Pro running server software is great for a small business that needs the power of a server, but doesn't have the space or resouces to support a Winblows envirnment.
I was lucky enough to work at all Mac offices, but the writing is on the wall and a MSCS cert is in the works.
Anybody else have some stories they would like to share?
Yup, that what I'm seeing too.
__________________

My townhouse could pass for a well stocked Apple store.
DustinT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:29 PM   #9
hakuryuu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lomita, CA
We have an increasing number of Macs at my office (we are mostly Windows and good bit of Linux) but despite my time spent working on it I cannot currently justify Lion Server (Snow Leopard Server was great!) in any production role. We have a few Xserves and I was given one for testing Lion and so far the one item we really wanted to work well was Profile Manager and it has crashed and burned pretty hard so far. Apple has at least offered to help me work through my issues but I haven't heard anything back since I sent them some logs about a month ago.

Lets just say that when I heard they were officially killing the Xserve I cried a little inside and stopped studying Apple certs after I got my ACTC. I've switched gears a bit and have been focusing on Infosec and Linux administration (i'll do just about anything to spend only as much time as is required in Windows, im just tired of it).
__________________
ACTC
MBP 2.9GHz i7 | 8GB | 13" Retina
MBP 2.3GHz i7 | 8GB | 15" Retina
Mac Pro 3.7GHz | 12GB | D300
hakuryuu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2011, 05:05 PM   #10
durruti
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Jersey
I too, am interested in this question. I've been a serious mac user since about 2004 with the ibook G4, but am also familiar with windows iterations.

I will be googling that certification for Mac side.

I really want to avoid windows server software but my organization uses windows server 2003+2008. Looks like I will have to hit my head against the Microsoft brick wall and get familiar with NT Server iterations.

Mac Minis with Lion Server are on my list of things I want to understand. I know there is google, but are there any simple, to the point, sites or guides any of you out there recommend for an entry level network IT person like me?
durruti is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Lion Server: 2011 Mac mini, 2006/8 Mac Pro, or Hackintosh? Yebubbleman Mac mini 0 Mar 15, 2013 12:14 AM
Having difficulties setting up a new Mac Mini Server (Mountain Lion 10.8) skagway Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking 3 Sep 24, 2012 03:49 PM
VPN Between Mountain Lion Server VPN Server and Native Mac Client - What's Missing??? 19austin85 Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking 24 Sep 12, 2012 05:52 PM
Standard Mountain Lion on Mac Mini server Savio92 Mac mini 2 Jul 25, 2012 09:43 AM
Lion (non-server) on Mac Mini Server comatory Mac mini 10 Jul 19, 2012 03:56 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC