Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:58 PM   #1
WHM
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to WHM
Smile Can iPad Be Set Up For 2 Users?

I would like an iPad for both my wife and I to use for email and web surfing while traveling. I assume since it is IOS that is not possible like a laptop or iMac can be set up? Let me know if there is a way to do so

Thanks
iPhone 6 64 GB 30 gb iPod Classic
WHM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:00 PM   #2
0dev
macrumors 68040

No, I'm afraid you can't have multiple users on an iOS device.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:22 PM   #3
tips
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
No, I'm afraid you can't have multiple users on an iOS device.
I think its good feature to have. I like if multiple accounts are supported on IOS.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:22 PM   #4
0dev
macrumors 68040

It would be a good feature, but Apple clearly does not agree
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:23 PM   #5
WHM
macrumors regular

Send a message via Yahoo to WHM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tips View Post
I think its good feature to have. I like if multiple accounts are supported on IOS.
It would be nice.. I hate traveling with two laptops
iPhone 6 64 GB 30 gb iPod Classic
WHM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:03 PM   #6
verwon
macrumors 68030

The reason for it is because they consider and iPhone, or iPad to be a personal device.

It's different, however, for a computer that may be a family machine.
verwon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:05 PM   #7
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by verwon View Post
The reason for it is because they consider and iPhone, or iPad to be a personal device.

It's different, however, for a computer that may be a family machine.
iPads can be used as family machines too (or they could be, if they supported multiple accounts)
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Kashika
macrumors regular

You can have multiple email accounts synced to an iPad.

Having a shared Apple ID isn't much of an issue. You pay for apps only once, which you can both use.
It does become a lot less personal. People send messages to both of you, as well as Facetime.
Kashika is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:42 PM   #9
verwon
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
iPads can be used as family machines too (or they could be, if they supported multiple accounts)
I'm just saying that's how Apple designed them, as personal devices.
verwon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:05 AM   #10
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

Sounds like you will have to find a way to share the iPad with your spouse. Actually, you and your wife can both have all of your email accounts on the iPad, in the native Mail App, or one of you can use the browser version (if one is available).

Another way to keep things "separate" is by organizing all of your apps and folders accordingly. For example, all of your apps/folders can go on screens 2 and 3, and all of her apps/folders can go on screens 4 and 5, and then keep all of your neutral apps (Safari, Maps, Weather, YouTube, etc) on screen 1. -- You can also create "his and her" photo albums and music playlists to further separate your stuff from hers.

I know it's not same as setting up multiple users, but it seems you're going to have to get creative with it and learn to coexist inside of iOS until you guys buy a second iPad.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Caliber26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:53 AM   #11
TheSuperSteve
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber26 View Post
I know it's not same as setting up multiple users, but it seems you're going to have to get creative with it and learn to coexist inside of iOS until you guys buy a second iPad.
When a man and a woman share an iPad... it becomes the woman's iPad.

So the correction would be "Until you buy your own iPad".
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:33 AM   #12
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSuperSteve View Post
When a man and a woman share an iPad... it becomes the woman's iPad.

So the correction would be "Until you buy your own iPad".
Haha!!! Exactly!!! My wife has been home recooping from a surgery for the last several weeks and was trying to persuade me to leave my iPad at home every day. Between my 4 year old and her, I would fear that I would never see my iPad again.

In the end, I bought her her very own iPod Touch to use while she's laying there doing nothing. That seemed to curb her iOS appetite.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:34 AM   #13
MattG
macrumors 68040

This is something I'm really hoping Apple implements someday. If they want to pass off the iPad as a "desktop replacement" then having individual accounts is really a must. I'd love to share my iPad with my girlfriend but we both want to use email, Facebook, etc. There's no privacy as it is, and for apps like Facebook, we'd constantly be having to log in, log out.
MattG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:51 AM   #14
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
This is something I'm really hoping Apple implements someday. If they want to pass off the iPad as a "desktop replacement" then having individual accounts is really a must. I'd love to share my iPad with my girlfriend but we both want to use email, Facebook, etc. There's no privacy as it is, and for apps like Facebook, we'd constantly be having to log in, log out.
I agree with this. My sister sometimes uses my iPad and it's a pain having to limit what personal information I can have on the notes and things like the apps all add up and it's a pain monitering what I need to login and log out of I suppose :P
Old Dec 23, 2011, 09:01 AM   #15
jsh1120
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
This is something I'm really hoping Apple implements someday. If they want to pass off the iPad as a "desktop replacement" then having individual accounts is really a must...
I wouldn't hold my breath. From a technical standpoint iOS is at its heart an operating system for a phone, not a computer. And while a phone may reasonably be considered a "personal" device, that assumption is much less reasonable when one moves up to a tablet device. Nevertheless, the infrastructure to support multiple users simply isn't there and if Apple were to add it for the iPad without "forking" the OS, it would constitute an unnecessary burden on the much larger group of iPhones out there.

Secondly, Apple isn't interested in "pass(ing) off the iPad as a 'desktop replacement.'" They're interested in selling MBA's and MacBooks as "desktop replacements." And they're interested in selling individual iPads to individual users who can sit in the same room and communicate via face time.
jsh1120 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad