Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrSaxMan33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
HELP:confused:! I replaced the hard drive on my Mid 2010 Macbook pro. I have my snow leopard install disk which i put into the computer and pressed C during start up. After doing so I only end up with the blank screen with the apple symbol in the middle (without the spinning gear) and nothing happens for hours. Is there anything im doing wrong or anything else I should/ should not be doing in order to reinstall the OS onto my new hard drive. I also have an external hard drive with time machine on it. Thanks in advanced for your help.:D

- DrSaxMan33

Jamkas

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011
North New Jersey
Well, I'm not really sure of the issue you're having but I want to help.

Try, instead of holding and pressing 'C', hitting and holding the 'Option' Key which will bring you to a screen to select what you want to boot.

Is the CD you're using damaged?

Make sure you have nothing plugged into your Macbook, like an external hard drive. You can plug it in later when you need it.

DrSaxMan33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Thanks for your help. I dont have anything plugged in I tried holding C and option with two different disks that I have (Snow Leopard and my mac Mini install disk) and neither of them are working by holding any key or combo of keys, the DVD reader makes noise like it is reading the disk but then I just get the apple screen without the turning gear (proving that it is doing something).

- DrSaxMan33

Jamkas

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011
North New Jersey
I'm going to go a little off track here... Do you still have the old hard drive? What you could do is clone the drives if we can't figure something out.

Do you have another computer you can work on?

DrSaxMan33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Well the reason I replaced the original hard drive in the first place is because it crashed, so I cant use that. I am currently working on another computer.

- DrSaxMan33

Jamkas

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011
North New Jersey
Okay and good because I want you to try and put Snow Leopard on a USB thumb drive.

Here is a tutorial I doubt there is anything wrong with superdrive, just wanna get you up and running as fast as possible.

Also try a boot the computer holding 'S' see if anything happens, maybe we can run some commands. I've never tried too without an OS installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.