Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Any one got any idea which browser will be included with Macs next year? I've heard they are dropping Internet Explorer. I've also heard that AOL will be going back to Nutscrape again. I hope to God Apple doesn't adopt AOL. I could see it happening though. It would coincide with iChat and would be a big plus for the "Switch" campaign since most "regular" PC people are still stuck in AO-Hell. Your thoughts?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Browser list as it comes to mind:

Internet Explorer: Very likely. It is small and compact, and has an OS X interface. Granted, it is Microsoft Internet Explorer, but it seems to be a very favored browser.

Chimera: Unlikely. Sure, it has the promising attire and speed, but it's a beta browser. I cannot find one common app/utility with a version number under 1.0. [Everyone starts looking...] My point is that Apple most likely will not use something still "in the works". Probably once Chimera reaches a full, effecient 1.0 Apple may adopt it somehow.

Netscape 7: You're better off playing the lottery. If you know some poker guys, get together and have a blast. Four people or better works best. :rolleyes:

Mozilla: Don't forget the potato chips and your latest fishing stories. :D

Both of the previous browsers take a tremendous time to load, even on the Greg Dan'd fastest Mac you have. Stability is a further issue to disregard either of the browsers to succeed as the main browser for Apple in 2003. PS: Flash support is sort of crappy.

OmniWeb: Looks cool. Pretty stable, also pretty. But it doesn't seem to have a lot of browsing speed compared to other browsers.

There are several few other mini-browsers out there, some payware, but I have not seen Apple support a minor-league browser.

As for AOL: Go to he!!. I converse back and forth with my biology teacher (now retired) through email, but she cannot receive her mail from AOL. She talked on the phone with the d**ks there for 40 minutes, enough time for a whole round of poker games. I refuse to see Apple support AOL. If people need IM, use iChat. :rolleyes:

Best bets: IE, Chimera (non-beta)

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
in the past, chimera has been hitting a milestone (.x) build at the rate of about once a month (sometimes a little more) meaning that it would be at version 1.0 (probably well past it) by the time 10.3 ships and don't forget that apple hired david hyatt. i've heard that omni is completely re-writing the rendering core for omniweb 5 and that they claim to have invented a browsing feature that is "better than tabbed browsing". i would love to see omniweb as the bundled browser if these claims are true (and if they go back to the 4.1 beta icon, the new one is butt ugly). omni is my first love, but chimera is the only browser on my system now because it's fast, free, cocoa, and compatable, major reasons why apple should include it as the osx browser.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
mind-controled window switching.

apple will also include a firewire, wireless, mind wave reader with OSX10.3

new macs will have it built in

If it is not this then maybe it is a different type of tabbed browsing. Think different---ly and the answer will come.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I really wish Apple would include virtual desktops...but thats a bit off-topic..

Mozilla runs fine on my cable connection..

Sometimes even faster than IE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.