Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There's been increasing chatter in the rumor mill about the possibility of a smaller 7.85" iPad that could be introduced sometime in 2012.

7.85" iPad on left, 9.7" (current) iPad on right​
The rationale behind the smaller form factor is for Apple to better compete against the new 7" Kindle Fire tablet from Amazon. Amazon's new Kindle line seems to be an early success with over 3 million sold over the first three weeks. Amazon doesn't break down the numbers for individual models but calls out the Fire as "the most successful product we've ever launched".

Apple's never been one to try to compete spec for spec against their competitors. The iPhone, for example, has kept the same basic form factor across 5 different generations, despite a proliferation of different sizes amongst its competitors. While we're not sure what makes a smaller iPad different, we've heard it frequently enough that we believe Apple is in late prototyping phases for such a device.

The supply chain has actually been very specific about the screen size of this rumored iPad. According to Chinese manufacturers, Apple is buying up 7.85" screens for this upcoming mini iPad. So, we asked our friends at CiccareseDesign to put together these mockups of what a 7.85" iPad would look like in comparison to the existing 9.7" iPad.

They also created this "actual size" PDF that can be printed out so you can play with one yourself in real life.

ipadminipdf.jpg
Download Printable PDF: Home Screen (6MB), Keyboard (18MB)
View on an iPad: Actual Size
Simply print the PDF at 100% size on your printer, and you too can see what a 7.85" iPad feels like in hand. If you don't have a printer handy, you can view it in actual size in an iPad web browser. If you save it as a web icon on your home screen, it will then launch without a menu bar so you can fully appreciate the size.

The 7.85" iPad actually feels a lot smaller than the existing iPad. The user interface elements, however, don't feel that far out of place. Icons are smaller than the 9.7" iPad, of course, but still bigger than the icons found on the iPhone. The on screen keyboard also seems quite usable at this size. Other elements, such as Safari's location bar, do scale down but, again, are no smaller than what we've seen on the iPhone.

We should point out that Steve Jobs had been adamant that a 10-inch screen is the minimum necessary for a tablet, and in a conference call said that he didn't believe a 7-inch tablet was a good user experience:
We're not not making a 7-inch tablet because we don't want to hit a lower price point. We just believe it's too small to hit the user experience people want. When we make decisions, it's not about cost, it's about value when you factor in the software. We're all about the best products at aggressive prices.
So, based on that stance, it might seem unlikely that Apple would produce such a device, but they've been known to change their mind before.

Article Link: This is What a 7.85-Inch iPad Looks and Feels Like

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Jobs also said that no one reads books any more and then proceeded to open up the iBookstore.

TheRealHershey

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
To me —someone who has owned 3 iPads on and off for over a month at a time— I think this would be the perfect sized iPad for me.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
To me —someone who has owned 3 iPads on and off for over a month at a time— I think this would be the perfect sized iPad for me.

I havent owned 1 iPad but I agree, I would prefer the smaller one, especially for laying in bed and browsing the interwebs.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Just the right size. I knew Apple would eventually cave in and do the right thing. Their greed knows no limits.

richsim

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
This would be awesome with a retina display. The (presumably) lower weight would make a big difference for me. Love my iPad 2, but that sucker is surprisingly heavy.

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Is it just me that wants one in the 15" to 20" range? The current iPad is too small for watching movies, and too similar to my iPhone.

NakedPaulToast

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
I'm an owner of an iPad 2, but recently bought a Blackberry Playbook because I wanted a more portable device. And the firesale price of $199 was too good to pass up. The footprint of my iPad is just to big for me to realisticly carry it around with me.

I would get a 7 inch iPad in a heartbeat. There are things I like about the Playbook, but overall it's not nearly the device the iPad is.

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
No doubt Google will copy the hell out of whatever will do anyway, so might as well mock up an Andriod look alike.

I personally wouldn't buy a 7" iPad, I'm more than happy with the iPad 2

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
Why not

I feel like the 7" screen would be perfect with Retina Display. Don't know the exact size but it would be very easy for developers to update their apps when all the images are just double the size, just like what Apple did with iPhone 4. This way fragmentation is much easier to avoid.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I think it would do well. Having a 4:3 screen would make it feel a ton different from pretty much every other 7" tab which has went with a 16:9 screen.

The Kindle Fire and other tablets like it are great for watching movies, reading novels and playing games, but aren't super useful beyond that. When in landscape there isn't enough vertical screen space, and when in portrait you have to zoom in to read anything because the browser zooms to fit. PDF's and web pages are much more comfortable on a 4:3 screen because they are mostly designed to feel like an 8.5x11" piece of paper.

I would definitely go for it if it felt as solid as the iPad 2 minus some weight since it has less aluminum and glass. And if it had a lighter price point as well :)

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Honestly, like others have already said, after owning my iPad 2 for about three months now, I'd welcome the idea of a slightly smaller iPad. :)

Bisz

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
ON, Canada
Is it just me that wants one in the 15" to 20" range? The current iPad is too small for watching movies, and too similar to my iPhone.

Not just you.

After getting very heavy use on my iPad over the last two weeks while on a business trip I too would like one thats bigger. As I type this on my 15" MBP I think size that or slightly smaller would be great.

nickgri

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
bezel

If the screen went almost all the way to the edges it would add a lot of space-same on the iphones. If they are going to offer a smaller one-then offer a larger one as well! Incorporate the phone into the ipad! Siri for lots of commands and put the iphone into the ipod watch as well-a round one with detachable earpiece would be nice.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No doubt Google will copy the hell out of whatever will do anyway, so might as well mock up an Andriod look alike.

I personally wouldn't buy a 7" iPad, I'm more than happy with the iPad 2

First - google makes software not hardware.
Second - there are already 7" tablets that run Android. So I think you have that COMPLETELY backwards buddy.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Smaller iPad (1024x768) and in addition Retina iPad (same size as today, but 2048x1536) would make sense. The smaller one would fit better in crowded public transportation and is similar in size to pocket books. Good for reading while commuting

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
I prefer the current size- if I want portability (more portability?) I use my iPhone. Clicking on the "change their mind" link, did someone really post the word "iPad" nearly TEN years ago?

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
As others have said I don't see the point if it is not more portable- and unless it fits in your pocket (which means a 5" size) a 7 inch size brings nothing new to the table. I would rather see a higher rez display and less weight.

Last edited:

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
It has to be $200

Unless they can sell it for $200 (GLWT) it won't be competition for Fire.

Look, sometimes all people need (and WANT) is a book reader than can browse the web and play videos, for a good price. Unless Apple can compete on the price they won't have a chance of competing in that space.

cactus33

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
I'd say it wont happen. It just 'ain't Apple-like in my opinion. I'd love to be surprised though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.