Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
Brand new off the box 4s ios 5.0.1...turned off weather and stocks no apps are open GPS icon still on ? Any inputs please?

Thx

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
SETTINGS > LOCATION SERVICES

Whichever apps have purple arrows are the ones using it. Whichever ones have grey arrows are the ones that have recently used it.

What does it show in there?

Also, be aware that GPS and 'Location Services' are NOT the same thing. GPS is one of the things LS can use, but just because you see the LS arrow that does not mean the GPS was used. It could mean the phone was checking in with the cellular towers and got location info from there.

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
If I shut the LOCATION SERVICES off icon goes away. I see lots of app are using GPS like viber, phone location......etc I have them all closed tho.
Does having it on drains the battery more?

Thanks !!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
If I shut the LOCATION SERVICES off icon goes away. I see lots of app are using GPS like viber, phone location......etc I have them all closed tho.
Does having it on drains the battery more?

Thanks !!

I'm sure it uses some battery, but I leave them on and am perfectly happy with my battery life. Are you having trouble with battery life? If not I'd suggest letting the phone run how it wants to and not worrying about it.

I shut of LS to certain apps for privacy reasons, but not for battery concerns.

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
:D It was Google latitude "turned off run in background something" :D

No idea how the battery life is I just fully charged it...let see the next 24h
Thanks

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Just let it be on... No reason to even get an iPhone today if you need to shut it off to preserve battery. Because it's being used for many small things that makes the 4S great.
Just saying!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.