Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

FocusTaiwan reports (via 9to5Mac) that Apple pushing its manufacturing partners to meet deadlines that would allow the company to launch the iPad on Steve Jobs' birthday, February 24th.
A local Chinese-language newspaper reported Friday that iPad3 might be launched on Feb. 24 to mark the anniversary of the birth of Apple's late co-founder Steve Jobs.

Citing sources close to Taiwanese makers in the iPad3 supply chain, the Economic Daily News said the gadget could be launched in mid-first quarter of next year or by the end of next March.
According to the report, workers at several iPad component suppliers as well as manufacturing partner Foxconn will have limited time off during the usual Lunar New Year holiday. The Lunar New Year holiday itself falls on January 23rd next year, with workers generally receiving a number of other days off from work around that date.

white_ipad_2_oblique-500x210.jpg

Sources have been reporting a variety of rumored dates for an iPad 3 introduction, with some claiming a debut in the March-April timeframe while others have pointed to a February launch being in the works.

Apple last year launched new MacBook Pro models on Jobs' birthday, although that unusual Thursday introduction was likely a convenient coincidence driven by the debut taking place during the Presidents Day holiday week.

Article Link: Apple Pushing to Introduce iPad 3 on Steve Jobs' February 24th Birthday?

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I will probably upgrade for a retina display. Everything else could be the same as the iPad 2.

iSYGAT

Dec 7, 2011
Here we go again

Here we go again. Even though I would like a smaller size iPad why not just get an iPod Touch or something? This rumor has been going on for a long time now.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
I can't see the biggest tech company in the world pushing a product through for something as sappy as the former CEO's birthday. Really push a product to make the holiday shopping season or something like that? Sure. But getting it out on his birthday isn't going to increase sales much (might get some more press but the iPad 3 will get tons anyway).

Steve Jobs would scoff at the idea. He told me in a dream.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think the limited time off is to keep production at high level. for the march release

CopyCatz

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
The slave workers at foxconn will be delighted to hear they are allowed to skip their new year holiday to make another idiotic capitalist deadline...

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
If they can pull it off without trying too hard, why not? The man deserves countless amount of things for us to do in his memory.

csixty4

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Somerville, MA
This definitely sounds too schmaltzy for Tim Cook. I could see a tribute to Steve at a Spring product announcement. But this is the same Apple that stopped doing Macworld keynotes because they didn't want to be tied to an arbitrary release date for their products.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
This may be the most absurd iPad 3 rumor yet. So very un-Apple and un-Steve like. If Apple did something so trite I would be concerned about their direction.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
The instant my bank allows me to design my bank card, this will be it.

A great idea!

Better than an extra hour in the exercise yard at FoxCon. They probably get a hearty "Thank you for your work, now get back to it" Christmas message from their owner Mr. Warmth over the intercom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.