Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daroga

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Since Windows 7 keys work for 32 or 64 bit versions, which version should I install in Parallels for the best performance? I don't plan on giving Windows more than 2GB or ram (if that), so that's not a concern. Is it 6 to one, half-a-dozen to the other?

I'll be running this on a Late 2011 13" MBP with the i5 and 8 GB RAM.

Thanks!

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
64 bit OS can run 32 bit applications but not the other way around. So even if you're giving it 2gb ram ( for now) I'd say go with the 64 bit version.

Sgt. Raven

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
SillyCon Valley
Since Windows 7 keys work for 32 or 64 bit versions, which version should I install in Parallels for the best performance? I don't plan on giving Windows more than 2GB or ram (if that), so that's not a concern. Is it 6 to one, half-a-dozen to the other?

I'll be running this on a Late 2011 13" MBP with the i5 and 8 GB RAM.

Thanks!

I don't think W7 is going to be happy running in 2GB of RAM. My daughters i5 W7 PC laptop with 4GB of RAM slows down because it needs more RAM. My MBP i7 w/8GB I split the RAM between Lion and P7/W7 Pro so they each get 4GB.

daroga

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
I don't think W7 is going to be happy running in 2GB of RAM. My daughters i5 W7 PC laptop with 4GB of RAM slows down because it needs more RAM. My MBP i7 w/8GB I split the RAM between Lion and P7/W7 Pro so they each get 4GB.
I've run Windows 7 on my laptop for two years with 4 GB of RAM and its been fine as my main computer. I think 7 running the very little bit of things I'll be using it for with 2 will be fine. But, as you say, with 8 GB total, I can always add more if I want to! :)

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.