Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Ok, so it isn't long now until the PS Vita is out in the UK and US, February 22nd to be exact. And with the recent news that the iPad 3 probably won't/might/could possibly be coming out on the 24th of feb, it could be a pretty sweet week.
Some amazing games lined up, Uncharted, Hotshots Golf and Dynasty Warriors all look quality in the videos from the Japanese launch, and the Vita looks beautiful, can not wait to get my hands on it. The only downside is that apparently you cannot sync it with a Mac so I hear, but I don't plan on ever transferring files from my computer to the vita even if I could.
Maybe no one else is interested in it but I thought I'd ask anyway, anyone else in the Mac community planning on getting one?

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
In the long run, very likely. But I will definitely wait for a price drop, and maybe the inevitable slim model redesign! :D Looks like a nifty machine though, I'll be watching it closely!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'll definitely be getting one eventually. I'm annoyed by a few things;

- No 32gb memory card in Europe. I'm not going to repeat my PSP situation where I bought a 4gb card, then 8, then 32 and had the 2 smaller ones sat doing nothing. The PS Vita is tied to one memory card too so, yeah, pity the fool who buys multiple cards.
- No 64gb+ card at all. As if it wasn't 2012 soon and your system isn't relying on downloadable games.
- No internal memory. Again, we're in the future. Flying cars and trips to the moon. Every modern gaming device should be able to store saves and profile data on internal memory.
- Did I mention the one card per Vita issue?
- Battery life. 3DS lasts for 4 hours with everything on full. Vita lasts for 4 hours with everything off (wifi, GPS, dullest screen setting) and isn't user replaceable. PSP and DS batteries went for 6-9 hours.
- No official word from SCEE about bringing over UMD games to PSN/Vita.
- Relying on SCEE for new games is a scary prospect.
- No HDMI out. A minor niggle with the release model.
- The menu is awful. "Peeling away" games and the lock screen is not cognitive and it's a far cry from the utilitarian, fluid and gorgeous XMB.

I'd absolutely love a Vita. The PSP and PS3 grew to become my fave platforms this gen, but this seems like a huge step back in usability. And on the plus side-

+ The analogue sticks (which they are!) feel superb. Honestly they're great and very comfortable.
+ Screen is gorgeous. Very densely packed pixels AND OLED. Playing Uncharted on that was nicer than on my proper Bravia TV.
+ Can't wait to see what comes out for it.

Honestly we're in for some good times with handhelds. I'm loving the 3DS' social features and the future looks very good for the Vita (huge selection of games). Good generation.

Last edited:

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I was very close to getting one from eBay this week. UK retail price is £279 for the 3G version, and Japanese models are going for about £350 on eBay. A premium I can live with.

Only thing putting me off right now is the cost of Japanese games/accessories (which also seem to generally have a premium on them), potential import taxes, and also the risk of my unit being faulty.

Also I'm guessing bundles will be available come February, and I'll love to get caught up in the launch hype.

Oh, and I have exams in January so it's not like I'll be able to fully enjoy it yet anyway :eek:

But yeah, overall I'm quite pumped for the Vita. Looking forward to getting my hands on one :)

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
I was very close to getting one from eBay this week. UK retail price is £279 for the 3G version, and Japanese models are going for about £350 on eBay. A premium I can live with.

Only thing putting me off right now is the cost of Japanese games/accessories (which also seem to generally have a premium on them), potential import taxes, and also the risk of my unit being faulty.

Also I'm guessing bundles will be available come February, and I'll love to get caught up in the launch hype.

Oh, and I have exams in January so it's not like I'll be able to fully enjoy it yet anyway :eek:

But yeah, overall I'm quite pumped for the Vita. Looking forward to getting my hands on one :)
Its really strange how much in common with you I have. Was also looking on ebay for a 3g for around £350, decided against it because of game/mem card prices, and also because of the whole not having two accounts on one vita(no jap and uk accounts so would be crap until was launched over here), and the decision breaker, exams in Jan.
Lets be honest, the smart thing would be to wait, it really isn't that long.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Of course I'm getting one..... :roll eyes:

:) seriously i'll hum and har, but it will end up being a day one purchase. I'm hopeful a white model will surface ??? That's prob the only thing that may hold me off as I'd prefer a white one.

And I'll prob pick up ALL of these too.

Uncharted
Wipeout
RidgeRacer
Rayman origins
Unit 13
Mod Nation Racers
Escape Plan (PSN)
Super Stardust (PSN)
Ultimate Capcom V Marvel
Lego Harry Potter 5-7

16GB card

________

so yeah, expensive Feb :D

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I think I'll get one, already have £200 saved at home and it's my birthday in very early March, so should be able to get a game or two and memory card then.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
RidgeRacer

so yeah, expensive Feb :D

Ridge Racer was one of my favourite games for the PSP, so I want it for Vita...I'm not too sure about the tiered pricing that they have on it though.

A cheap base game, then additional content as DLC? They pulled this crap with Ridge Racer Accelerated on iOS, I don't want to support such a stupid system, especially when the content was already on the disk waiting to be "downloaded" :mad:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I am most definitely going to get a Vita on day one. I did consider importing a Japanese model but then decided against it for several reasons. I've already preordered a 32GB memory card from my regular North American import retail source. I've ordered an Sony official leather Vita case from another Hong Kong import retailer which should be here in the next couple of weeks.

I'm planning on getting Uncharted, Escape Plan, Gravity Rush, Modnation Racers, and Little Deviants. There are a few other games I'm interested in but haven't decided on yet. Virtua Tennis, Hot Shots Golf, Wipeout 2048 and Unit 13 are all possibilities.

----------

Well after all that I went and preordered one this morning.

http://www.postabargain.co.uk/categories/psp/other-psp-games/014242 - 3G model for £129, 50% off the usual price! Figured for less than the price of a regular Wifi Vita I can a 3G one plus import a 32gb card.

I very much doubt they will honour that price as they don't have to. It's clearly a mistake.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I very much doubt they will honour that price as they don't have to. It's clearly a mistake.

Several people on Twitter have got in touch with Very and they confirmed its part of a big sale, that it isn't a mistake. They've also started taking money from customers bank accounts.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Several people on Twitter have got in touch with Very and they confirmed its part of a big sale, that it isn't a mistake. They've also started taking money from customers bank accounts.
I hope they do honour it for you, because that is an amazing bargain. However, I remember when someone at my old company put a wrong sale price and loads of people bought a £300 pound coat for £1.50.
We didn't have to honour it because there was a clause in the sale contract that you have to agree to when you put in your details, basically saying that if it was obviously wrong that we didn't have to send it.
But if it is a confirmed sale price, congrats. Do post here to let us know if it does go through.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ridge Racer was one of my favourite games for the PSP, so I want it for Vita...I'm not too sure about the tiered pricing that they have on it though.

A cheap base game, then additional content as DLC? They pulled this crap with Ridge Racer Accelerated on iOS, I don't want to support such a stupid system, especially when the content was already on the disk waiting to be "downloaded" :mad:

That's true I had forgot about how they intend to sell this game. It's just been knocked off my list. I hate dlc on all formats, and I hate free-play model gaming as its just such a gimped experience that ends up costing more overall than buying as it is.

----------

Sounds too good to be true, and generally things that seem too good, are. Id bet those orders are never fulfilled.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

I stand by my original post. I've seen this happen before online with such popular big ticket items AMD the price has never been honoured. Customer service at such places often is not reliable with situations like this. As far as money being taken it could be a temporary check to see if they have enough money in their account.

A lot of online retailers do this especially with preorders. Even if they have taken the money there is nothing to stop them not honouring the price and refunding people. I very much doubt something like the Vita which is not even out yet and will probably be very popular when it is would be put on sale especially for the price. I can understand a few pounds but not £150. I would be very surprised if they honour it.

If you look at the latest post in that link you provided someone had already stated orders are getting cancelled. A few posts down someone else mentioned they were going to check with their buyers if that price was correct. Sorry but that price is not going to be honoured.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Phoned up today and they said it is part of a sale event, probably got through to the same person others did.
I imagine those cancelled orders were over their stock limit, who knows? My order was processed and is awaiting the release date.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Pre-ordered a WiFi model - I'll use my iPhone's hotspot mode if I need 3G. I've also plumped for:

- 16GB memory card
- Uncharted
- Wipeout
- I'll pick up Stardust on PSN.

Tad annoyed at the lack of 32GB cards, but £100 import from Japan (plus taxes) is a little bit ridiculous and unaffordable. I'll just have to be better at managing content - my PSPgo has its onboard 16GB plus another 16GB M2 card, and the PSP has a 32GB.

Thankfully, February is my birthday.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I can't decide if I should spend €40 more for 3G ? Not sure I'd use it, but wonder if resell price would hold better for the 3G model ?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I can't decide if I should spend €40 more for 3G ? Not sure I'd use it, but wonder if resell price would hold better for the 3G model ?

Highly doubt it, resell value down the line between the two models will only differ by a few €. As for using it...that's more down to whether you'll be doing multiplayer on the go. For one, I don't think I will, nor would I trust a 3G network to maintain a good enough connection for the entire time. WiFi is the way forward!

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Highly doubt it, resell value down the line between the two models will only differ by a few €. As for using it...that's more down to whether you'll be doing multiplayer on the go. For one, I don't think I will, nor would I trust a 3G network to maintain a good enough connection for the entire time. WiFi is the way forward!

Another factor is the "social networking" features.

Which I know I would NEVER ever use...but that's just me. I don't even do facebook, really...

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Pre-ordered a WiFi model - I'll use my iPhone's hotspot mode if I need 3G. I've also plumped for:

- 16GB memory card
- Uncharted
- Wipeout
- I'll pick up Stardust on PSN.

Tad annoyed at the lack of 32GB cards, but £100 import from Japan (plus taxes) is a little bit ridiculous and unaffordable. I'll just have to be better at managing content - my PSPgo has its onboard 16GB plus another 16GB M2 card, and the PSP has a 32GB.

Thankfully, February is my birthday.

I've preordered a North American 32GB memory card for £78 including £4 shipping. That said the site I've preordered it from no longer has it available. I suspect when they get more stock allocated they put it back on their site. That should hopefully go down a bit as it was before Sony announced the official price of $100.

Personally I'll probably get the 3G version. Whether I use the 3G or not I rather have the option. Whether I use it all depends on the 3G plans they offer here in the UK.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
My pre order is for the 3G version too. I'm getting a 16GB card sadly, refuse to pay stupid money to import the 32GB. Can't believe they aren't launching the 32GB here.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Anyone know what the best launch games are? I'll probably get FIFA as I love football games, but can anyone recommend another one? I've looked at Uncharted, might get that.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I've preordered a North American 32GB memory card for £78 including £4 shipping. That said the site I've preordered it from no longer has it available. I suspect when they get more stock allocated they put it back on their site. That should hopefully go down a bit as it was before Sony announced the official price of $100.

Personally I'll probably get the 3G version. Whether I use the 3G or not I rather have the option. Whether I use it all depends on the 3G plans they offer here in the UK.
I may well pick one up on import at some time in the future, and deal with the hassle of moving my account over - I'll see how I get on with 16GB to start with I think. My aim is to mainly buy retail games, as they appear to load faster!

As for UK and 3G? If it's anything like the iPad (which it will be) you'll be looking at £15/mo for 3GB of data. I'm using o2's iPhone tethering which is costing far less.

Anyone know what the best launch games are? I'll probably get FIFA as I love football games, but can anyone recommend another one? I've looked at Uncharted, might get that.

Uncharted and Wipeout are good buys, and Stardust on PSN.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.