Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneofthesedays

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Strange bug. I can see all of my artists on iTunes on my PC, but for some reason they don't all show up on my iPhone when I try and view all of my artists in my music collection. If I search for the artist name on my iPhone they show up as I would expect, it's only when I try and display all artists that they refuse to show up.

I've tried numerous things to fix this, re-synced my library every possible way, to no avail. Is this a fatal bug in iOS5 or does someone have a workaround?

bgtrack

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2011
East Lansing
Try taking the music off and then putting it on...if that doesn't work restore the firmware...it might be a bug in the software.

Epoch KW

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
It could be related to having created compilations of the albums the artist has performed on

I've noticed that anything grouped as a compilation doesn't show in all contacts

Jon

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
'Get Info' in iTunes and check that the track info in 'Sorting' is identical to the track info in the 'Info' tab. I think 'Sorting' overrides 'Info'.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-25 at 22.57.43.png
    Screen Shot 2011-12-25 at 22.57.43.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 712

SplicedBanjo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
This is normal. If you want it to show up under Artist on your iPad, you will have to Get Info in iTunes and uncheck "Part of a compilation" on the Info tab.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
im having the same issue too, if I edit the artist name thru iTunes on my laptop, the edit wont show on the music app on the phone. It worked fine on iOS4, but both of my iPod touch and iPhone are having this issue

DRUPZ

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
Challenge accepted. Go to settings> music> turn off group by album artist. Success

Grumpy232

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
Challenge accepted. Go to settings> music> turn off group by album artist. Success
went to settings>music>turn off group by album artist, and still no "artist" show up at all. What do I need to do to get "artist" to show up?

Edit: ok, so the artist showed up, don't know how, but they did, oh well.

Attachments

• IMG_0346[1].PNG
    IMG_0346[1].PNG
    148.5 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_0347[1].PNG
    IMG_0347[1].PNG
    69.9 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0348[1].PNG
    IMG_0348[1].PNG
    105.5 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_0350[1].PNG
    IMG_0350[1].PNG
    95 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:

kiddo64

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
Problem Solved!!

It's from projecttimmy here: http://www.tested.com/forums/please-help/10160-artist-name-not-showing-up-on-iphone/

Anyway, here's the fix!

"Here's the stitch.

If you're still having the problem, here is the solution.

iTunes allows you to edit the ID3 tag, but for some reason if there isn't already a title tag in the song, the title tag for that song in itunes becomes the FILENAME not the title tag.

What you have to do is, manually edit the title tag on your computer or with an external ID3 tagger software, the title tag IS NOT the file name.

In windows you can do this by; Right clicking the song, clicking properties and clicking details.

Make sure to have written the 'Title' and 'Album Artist' tags, the rest don't officially matter as you can change them later through iTunes. You can also change 'Album Artist' in iTunes, but do this before as a precaution.

No idea on mac as I don't use one lol.

Then upload to your iPod or iPhone, and it will be solved.

I hope this helps anyone, I have musical OCD and this really pissed me off.

Thanks.

- Timmy "

liquidbeats

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Epoch had it right :D

Just go into Info on the songs in question (before loading into your iPhone) and uncheck "Part of a compilation".

It worked for me and it's probably what's happening to most of you too!

:):):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.