Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I have two ATV1s and and finding they are increasingly having trouble with HD media from the iTunes store so I want to upgrade in the not too distant future.

What I am wondering is how much evidence there has been that a new ATV is in the pipeline and not too far away from release.

I know there have been some tags referring to it in recent Apple software, but is there reasonable reason to expect it by the spring? It seems logical that it would pack at least the chip that the iPhone or iPad are currently offering and I would think that would make for a huge performance increase that might even handle any future 1080 content effortlessly.

So what has been the concensus around here lately?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Cant you buy an hd card then open the apple tv up & put it in there

This only works with the apple tv 1

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The current Apple TV, 2G, has the power to handle iTunes provided 1080p. Apple just doesn't have this enabled and it may never be enabled for the Apple TV 2 for marketing reasons. If you jailbreak it, you can alter a few plists on it and it will playback native 1080p.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
The current Apple TV, 2G, has the power to handle iTunes provided 1080p. Apple just doesn't have this enabled and it may never be enabled for the Apple TV 2 for marketing reasons. If you jailbreak it, you can alter a few plists on it and it will playback native 1080p.

Others have tested with jailbroken atv2 and have provided mixed results, the atv2 has the same hardware as the iPhone 4, so it's not quite powerful enough for high bitrate 1080p videos.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My 3Gs has enough power for standard 1080p Blu-ray rips and my iPod Touch 4G can do the higher quality ones with no problem on iOS 5.

Here's an exert from the media restrictions file in iOS that limits what kind of media is allowed to be synced onto iOS. You can check these numbers on an iOS 5 device by looking in the /System/Library/Lockdown/Checkpoint.xml file. Looking at the file below, iOS will allow and playback a 62 Mbitrate file 1080p file.

Code:
<key>H.264_HDVideo2</key>
		<dict>
			<key>AAC</key>
			<dict>
				<key>AppleDRM</key>
				<true/>
				<key>LC</key>
				<dict>
					<key>Multichannel</key>
					<false/>
					<key>VariableBitRate</key>
					<true/>
				</dict>
				<key>MaximumBitRate</key>
				<integer>256</integer>
				<key>MaximumSampleRate</key>
				<integer>48000</integer>
			</dict>
			<key>AppleVideoDRM</key>
			<dict>
				<key>MaximumEncryptionPercentage</key>
				<real>12.5</real>
			</dict>
			<key>Level</key>
			<integer>41</integer>
			<key>MaximumHeight</key>
			<integer>1920</integer>
			<key>MaximumPixelsPerSecond</key>
			<integer>62208000</integer>
			<key>MaximumResolution</key>
			<integer>2073600</integer>
			<key>MaximumWidth</key>
			<integer>1920</integer>
			<key>MinimumHeight</key>
			<integer>32</integer>
			<key>MinimumWidth</key>
			<integer>32</integer>
			<key>Profile</key>
			<string>B</string>
		</dict>

Last edited:

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Jmcgeergr

Im thinking of buying the first generation apple tv with 40gb drive used for $70

And adding the chrystal HD card

Would this make 720p icefilms movies run smoother than the apple tv 2 ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.