Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:48 PM   #1
PaulCostello
macrumors member

Close apps, or leave open?

Is it ok too leave iMovie, iPhoto, safari, and a few other apps open all the time? Even when iMac is sleeping? Or should I close apps after using them? I only ask because I've noticed that iMovie takes a long time to open from a fresh start, iPhoto also just not as long as imovie.
iPhone 5c 16gb
PaulCostello is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:50 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

It is okay to leave them open, unless they slow down your Mac due to RAM or CPU usage.
I sometimes have 15 to 25 applications open at once on my Macs, and they even go to sleep with them open.

Using Activity Monitor to show you CPU and RAM usage
simsaladimbamba is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:16 PM   #3
PaulCostello
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
It is okay to leave them open, unless they slow down your Mac due to RAM or CPU usage.
I sometimes have 15 to 25 applications open at once on my Macs, and they even go to sleep with them open.

Using Activity Monitor to show you CPU and RAM usage
ahh. i guess ill leave apps open then, and keep an eye on activity monitor. thx for quick response!
iPhone 5c 16gb
PaulCostello is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 02:40 AM   #4
skinny*k
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCostello View Post
Is it ok too leave iMovie, iPhoto, safari, and a few other apps open all the time? Even when iMac is sleeping? Or should I close apps after using them? I only ask because I've noticed that iMovie takes a long time to open from a fresh start, iPhoto also just not as long as imovie.
If you let your Mac sleep instead of turning it off, as some people do, you will want to Quit and then reopen your apps once in a while, so the apps can do their housekeeping—dumping trashes, temp files, and etc.. You can do this easily by by setting a shutdown and startup time in the Energy Saver and making your apps Startup Items. If you do normally shut down after use, the others' advice should do you just fine.
Safari used to get sluggish for me after a while, and restarting it made it perkier, but I haven’t noticed the problem with recent versions.
skinny*k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 03:44 AM   #5
yankeesalu
macrumors newbie

I always let all my app open , there is no need to reopen it
yankeesalu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac