Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Solution-411
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Macbook 4,1 (Early 2008) RAM Upgrades?

Hello everyone and happy holidays!

Sorry for asking a question that has probably been beat up as of late, but I have not received a clear answer - I'm helping someone upgrade their hardware so that they could run MacOSX Lion, but they're rocking 1GB of DDR2 RAM on one of the older white Macbooks [2.4 Duo Model.]

Does anyone have tips on what type of RAM that I should advise him to purchase? I'm thinking two 2GB sticks of DDR2 667Mhz PC2-5300, but well...

1) I am not sure about how reliable certain companies are when it comes to hardware.
2) I have heard mixed results about using 2GB ram sticks with this Macbook model.

If anyone could please advise me, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!
Solution-411 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:57 PM   #2
Speeding Wheels
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution-411 View Post
Hello everyone and happy holidays!

Sorry for asking a question that has probably been beat up as of late, but I have not received a clear answer - I'm helping someone upgrade their hardware so that they could run MacOSX Lion, but they're rocking 1GB of DDR2 RAM on one of the older white Macbooks [2.4 Duo Model.]

Does anyone have tips on what type of RAM that I should advise him to purchase? I'm thinking two 2GB sticks of DDR2 667Mhz PC2-5300, but well...

1) I am not sure about how reliable certain companies are when it comes to hardware.
2) I have heard mixed results about using 2GB ram sticks with this Macbook model.

If anyone could please advise me, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146701



edit: damn! I accidentily deleted the other stuff I wrote

ok.. I have done a bit of research on this because I will be getting my early '08 MB on thursday and plan on doing this exact upgrade. The one I linked gets very good reviews for MB's and the company is excellent.
Speeding Wheels is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:40 AM   #3
Solution-411
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding Wheels View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146701



edit: damn! I accidentily deleted the other stuff I wrote

ok.. I have done a bit of research on this because I will be getting my early '08 MB on thursday and plan on doing this exact upgrade. The one I linked gets very good reviews for MB's and the company is excellent.
WOW Thanks!!! And one more question - Any thoughts on doing 2x 4GB DDR2? I have not looked at the specifications of the MB'08 well enough to know if it is supported.
Solution-411 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 02:02 AM   #4
Nameci
macrumors 68000
 
Nameci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 今天窝在中国广东深圳
Send a message via MSN to Nameci Send a message via Yahoo to Nameci Send a message via Skype™ to Nameci
2 x 4gb is not possible. Max ram is 6 gb so that would be 2gb + 4gb...

Look at this ... http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../5300DDR2S6GP/
__________________
PMG5 Quad|2xPMG5 2.3DC|PMG5 1.8DP|2xPMG4 1.42DP|PMG4 PCI|PMG3 B&W|17' iMac 2.0|20" iMac 2.0|12" iBook 1.33|15" PowerBook 1.67HR/DLSD|BlackBook 2.4C2D|Late '09 MacMini
Nameci is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2011, 02:35 AM   #5
Speeding Wheels
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution-411 View Post
WOW Thanks!!! And one more question - Any thoughts on doing 2x 4GB DDR2? I have not looked at the specifications of the MB'08 well enough to know if it is supported.

cant do 2x4GB
you would have to go 1x4GB and 1x2GB (total 6GB).

that being said, single 4GB sticks are outrageously priced for these machines.
considering the price of all other configurations, to me it's not worth it to go to 6GB so I'll be happy with my 4GB kit.
Speeding Wheels is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Early 2008 macbook pro: 6GB RAM? Ravich MacBook Pro 16 Jun 20, 2013 12:35 PM
RAM upgrade Macbook Pro early 2008 psychedelia MacBook Pro 2 Mar 1, 2013 11:15 AM
early 2008 macbook RAM question andybno1 MacBook 5 Oct 10, 2012 09:40 AM
iMac Early 2008 RAM, Processor, and Graphics Card upgrades? mrdoodlecakes iMac 0 Aug 31, 2012 11:31 PM
Anyone here have Macbook early 2008 with 6GB RAM? brnistra MacBook 5 Jul 14, 2012 11:48 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps