Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigQid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I just got an Apple TV for Christmas. The problem is I already have an XBox 360 with Kinect. I can use voice commands with the XBox, play Hulu, or hook up a hard drive to play most video files. I can't think of anything the Apple TV is doing better than the XBox was doing for me already. I don't like the remote either because half the time it turns on the music in my computer at the same time as it does an action on the Apple TV. I have probably bouhgt ten Apple products, so its not like I don't love Apple. What am I missing about the current Apple TV?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
If you don't love it, don't keep it. :)

At this point I don't think the Apple TV offers you anything you can't already do (unless streaming content directly from iTunes is important to you). I suppose you could hang onto it in the hopes of what Apple TV might become, although...

...That's exactly what I did with my Apple TV, the first edition. What did it become? Nothing; Apple stopped supporting it. I suspect the same thing will happen with the current model when Apple releases their long-rumored TV.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I haven't found a need for the Apple TV. In my view, it's too restrictive. I prefer my current setup, with a Mac mini running Plex as my home entertainment server.

Spencie

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
The Mothership
Hi, the Apple TV is actually a very powerful device. I use it over my xbox (except for ESPN 3 since I cancelled my cable) most of the time. The key to unlocking everything is jailbreaking it. Once jailbroken, you can add Plex or XBMC media centers. There are a bunch of extra add-on's that you can add to them, such as live news, sports, movies/tv shows. Search up XBMC for more information

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you can turn off the remote in OSX, or if you have a remote that you use for your laptop you can pair individual remotes to a device.

pairing is more about the receiver than the remote. it only causes a receiver to only listen to one remote, so if you pair remote A to the appleTV, the macbook will still listen to Remote A and B (but the appletv won't listen to remote B)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.