Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L4Leonard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
So if i download Spire (by chpwn) and the set up a Siri Proxy, would that make me able to get Siri fully running on my iPhone 4?

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
All we need now is the 4S untether and we can avoid all these onerous proxy server requirements

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I've downloaded it, since all you're doing is downloading the actual Siri software from Apple. Worth having just incase it's ripped down. Once the A5 is jailbroken, Siri for all.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
You will still need 4S ID after a5 is jailbroken.

All this faffing is why I just went and bought a 4S, its still going to be 6 months + until the 5 comes out, so why wait?

:D

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
You will still need 4S ID after a5 is jailbroken.

All this faffing is why I just went and bought a 4S, its still going to be 6 months + until the 5 comes out, so why wait?

:D

I'm not buying a 4S because it'll be yesterday's news come summer (I can still see Apple reverting back to a July launch, as the only reason WWDC had no iPhone was due to the sheer volume of new software being launched) and will happily use Siri on my iPhone "6" next year.

Given that I buy my iPhone's outright from Apple, the 4S is not enough of a leap from the 4 for me to justify another £500 when there's every chance the TRUE next generation iPhone is merely six or seven months away.

And your smug little 4S stance won't be so smug when they DO find a workaround to put Siri on older devices. Trust me, it WILL happen.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
And your smug little 4S stance won't be so smug when they DO find a workaround to put Siri on older devices. Trust me, it WILL happen.

You pay your money and make your choices.

Siri will only work properly on older devices and that is if Apple allow it.

A workaround will be to set up your own proxy server, get a device ID from a 4S (every 24 hours), change it on the proxy server (every 24 hours), and all this just for Siri?

Its not impossible for Apple to check that the request has come from proxy server either, so then thats that 4S never to communicate with Siri ever again.

Enjoy the wait.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
You pay your money and make your choices.

Siri will only work properly on older devices and that is if Apple allow it.

A workaround will be to set up your own proxy server, get a device ID from a 4S (every 24 hours), change it on the proxy server (every 24 hours), and all this just for Siri?

Its not impossible for Apple to check that the request has come from proxy server either, so then thats that 4S never to communicate with Siri ever again.

Enjoy the wait.

I will enjoy the wait, it's no skin off my nose.

I find the willy waving on this forum hilarious from those with the latest iPhone model, it happens every year. I've owned the iPhone 4 since day two (wasn't queuing on day one) and as I said, it's not enough of an upgrade for someone who buys their phone outright.

The next model will be the true next generation iPhone, not a stop gap like the 4S. It's not a case of not having the money to spend, it's a matter of making the right choice. I'll enjoy the wait, as you say, and I'll also enjoy the larger screen, redesigned chassis, improved design, and faster performance ... only I won't log on here to belittle those with (now) inferior iPhone 4S's and willy wave over a materialistic device just because I have more features than someone else.

If Siri comes to the iPhone 4, be it officially or otherwise, so be it. I'll use it. If not, I'll use it when the next generation model comes out. There's more to life than having the latest iPhone to boast about.

boyced

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
I have mine setting up fine, part of the siri proxy instal a certificate is generated which you then put on your iphone.

so why's the 4s needed?

----------

don't think thats how it works is it? I haven't had to load anything onto the 4s onto the server

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
just a fyi I played with it a little last night as soon as I installed it I had issues with apps crashing. I then uninstalled it and the apps ran perfect. Fron what I saw on Twitter lots of people having the same problem.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
just a fyi I played with it a little last night as soon as I installed it I had issues with apps crashing. I then uninstalled it and the apps ran perfect. Fron what I saw on Twitter lots of people having the same problem.

Yup, me too!

My facebook and twitter apps wouldn't open! so I uninstalled.

Has anyone managed to install Spire without it conflicting against other apps, like the two I mentioned?

leefisher

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
Yup, me too!

My facebook and twitter apps wouldn't open! so I uninstalled.

Has anyone managed to install Spire without it conflicting against other apps, like the two I mentioned?

Apparently this is to do with redsn0w... try ensuring that you're using the latest one and try again.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Apparently this is to do with redsn0w... try ensuring that you're using the latest one and try again.

hmm maybe, but...

I used Ac1dsn0w to jailbreak tethered then ran Corona over it via Cydia... Before i attempt to restore and jailbreak with redsn0w. Can someone please recommend me a reliable backup app to restore all my JB tweaks and apps..anyone???

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
hmm maybe, but...

I used Ac1dsn0w to jailbreak tethered then ran Corona over it via Cydia... Before i attempt to restore and jailbreak with redsn0w. Can someone please recommend me a reliable backup app to restore all my JB tweaks and apps..anyone???

pkgbackup is best imo but a paid app worth the money

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
so i ended up restoring and re-jailbreaking with latest version of redsn0w 10b3, loaded back on Spire and now its playing well with my other apps.:) all I need now is to find a working proxy server;)

vstephenson

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007
so i ended up restoring and re-jailbreaking with latest version of redsn0w 10b3, loaded back on Spire and now its playing well with my other apps.:) all I need now is to find a working proxy server;)

Good luck with that!

I have read somewhere to be wary of proxy servers you dont know who owns as they can be used to lift identity information off your phone

No idea if thats true or not but made me think twice

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Siri is way overrated anyway. Once you guys get it you will see that it's really not worth this hassle.

Selena Gomez

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
Yes, if you use anyone's proxy, they can see EVERYTHING. It's all in plain view. If you use maps with Siri, I'll see your exact location, I'll see every number you dial, all text messages read and sent and dictated.

vstephenson

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007
Yes, if you use anyone's proxy, they can see EVERYTHING. It's all in plain view. If you use maps with Siri, I'll see your exact location, I'll see every number you dial, all text messages read and sent and dictated.

Well thats clear enough

As an iphone user who has a bit of a visual impairment i wanted to try siri via spire to see if it would help me any (speed up phone use and less squinting :) ) before spending out on a 4s

Think i will del spire now

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii

only if you use it right? what if you took it off your phone? oh wait...the damage's already been done huh? haha

ryan102

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Siri is way overrated anyway. Once you guys get it you will see that it's really not worth this hassle.

Agree with this completely, just got Siri on my iPhone4 through Spire for the last 4hours. Once you asked it a few questions, the 'cool' thing wears off. It's a nice feature but Apple has hyped up Siri so much that it doesn't live upto the hype.

I've uninstalled it now, just realized it's nothing more than a gimmick really and honestly I probably wouldn't use it after a few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.