Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
i know that itunes4 wont be released for a while :p, but what would everyone like to see included on itunes4?
i would like to see:
-connect wirelessly to ipod and add/remove songs (bluetooth support)
-video support (quicktime isnt that great with videos)
-theme manager so u can easily customize the ui of itunes
-more file format compatibility, like winamp3 (has more compatibility with other formats such as ogg than wmp9)
-able to play music without itunes4 open (have a little icon on the bar that allows u to use playlists so u dont have to have itunes running to play music)....there was an idea similar to this to a addon to heXPee, lots of ppl i knew loved playing their music without winamp/wmp open, but m$ trashed the idea cuz it was buggy
-integration with imovie/dvd player/idvd

what would you like to see?

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I think that video support would be great.
Most of the PC jukeboxes have it, so why not iTunes?
Maybe it could also support playback of WMV files just to give a
flipoff.gif
to MS.:p

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by edvniow
I think that video support would be great.
Most of the PC jukeboxes have it, so why not iTunes?
Maybe it could also support playback of WMV files just to give a
flipoff.gif
to MS.:p
then b4 u know it, wmp will have .mov and mp4 support...

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by SilvorX

then b4 u know it, wmp will have .mov and mp4 support...

Did I jusy hear you say WMP and standards in the same sentence?;)
The code to the .mov format isn't propeitary as fas as I know, MS just chose not to support it, just like they chose not to support MPEG-4, which they also helped write.:)

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Re: what would u like to see in itunes4

-video support (quicktime isnt that great with videos)

I'm not sure about this one... I don't think iTunes needs any more bloat - I'd rather just see Quicktime improved. Unless you mean indexing clips like it does MP3s... I guess that could work, but it's iTunes, not iClips. :)
-theme manager so u can easily customize the ui of itunes

If they could put it on par with Audion's skins, that would be awesome.
-more file format compatibility, like winamp3 (has more compatibility with other formats such as ogg than wmp9)

I agree, and I'll add to that... plugin capability, so that it supports any other formats down the road.
-able to play music without itunes4 open (have a little icon on the bar that allows u to use playlists so u dont have to have itunes running to play music)....there was an idea similar to this to a addon to heXPee, lots of ppl i knew loved playing their music without winamp/wmp open, but m$ trashed the idea cuz it was buggy

I don't know about this one either. It's already possible to control iTunes from the Dock with no windows open.
what would you like to see?
- More CPU-efficient playback (AltiVec accelerated)
- A new LAME-based, AltiVec-enhanced encoder (and/or a plugin system to allow developers to plug in their own encoders)
- Ability to change track numbers without opening the "Get Info" dialog
- Ability to alphebetize individual artists by their last names
- Less memory usage
- More condensed interface, so it doesn't take up so much screen space (especially with the browser open)
- Ability to change playlist font

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Re: Re: what would u like to see in itunes4

Originally posted by alex_ant
- More condensed interface, so it doesn't take up so much screen space (especially with the browser open)

Yeah, no kidding.

The real estate that iTunes takes up is amazing.

I usually minimize it or put it in the Dock.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota

download X-Tunes ...you can open itunes...select the playlist...hide the application, and whenever you want to change to the next song, pause, stop, volume controls or even find out the song name just hold down the target keys...default is APPLE+SPACE...works great...give it a try if you haven't...you will love it

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
"Create New Playlist from added files" option like soundjam had, I listen to a lot of the playlists off mp3.com and it's a pain at present the way it's all added to the library in some apparently random order.

"Encode from playlist" a simple feature, make a playlist, add files from wherever, encode the lot in 1 go, again another soundjam feature.

"Keep album tracks together/in order" what's the point in track numbers when iTunes ignores them when you sort by artist ?

faster encoding, my friends 1.9Ghz P4 can encode a 5 minute tune in 6 seconds, never seen or read about anything like that speed on the mac and soundjam on my G3 used to waste Athlon PCs before the PC encoders got all optimised. they've got cpus that make the G4 look like an abacus for some things these days.

Other than that, keep it free!

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002

-connect wirelessly to ipod and add/remove songs (bluetooth support)

if USB 1 is considered too slow for file transfer, why would a connection standard that is 11 times slower be a good thing. You'll be there all day synching up your iPod. And since bluetooth doesn't have a big range, you'll be standing right next to your machine for hours synching it up, while you coudl plug in a cord and have it done in minutes. Wireless has applications, but this isn't one of them.

File format expansion and skins are two good ideas, and I'd like to see it be able to integrate with a stereo with little hassle (stream songs wirelessly to home stereo, something like that)

Maybe recording from analog sources (I don't think that can be done right now can it) with wave form editors and filters to help you clean up the tracks.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Originally posted by Durandal7
Is it just me or did iTunes 3.0 seem like a trivial upgrade?

<sarcasm>
Ohhh...but see it was the first OS X only version of iTunes....

And wait, what about those smart playlists!?
</sarcasm>

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
1. LAME encoding
2. slightly snappier interface
3. OGG support (this can be done through quicktime)
4. the glass playlist buttons from itunes 1
5. a dockling for cd play (like AudioCDPlayer Dockling, which no longer works in 10.2 :mad: ) so that i dont have to load the whole app everytime.

most people (including me) dont want anything more than a simple program to organize and play music. visuals are nice, but remember, its a music app. i dont really care about skins, just sound quality.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
I like iTunes just fine right now. My only request is that they keep the Radio Tuner feature. I use it all day, everyday. Oh, there is one thing, I'd like to see a way to uncheck multiple songs in the library.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
For those looking for MPEG-4 AAC audio format files, you can use AACelerator and Quicktime Pro to convert your audio to MPEG-4 audio. However, the iPod is not supposed to read MPEG-4 audio just yet.

As for a large iTunes browser/window altogether, maybe Apple can make an option, minimizing the font size used for iTunes from 12 (or 13) to around 10, but keep the anti-aliasing. I also support playlist folders, better mp3 encoding, a much less power-consuming app, the works.

But what I would like to see from iTunes is the avility (from iTunes 2) to encode a song into mp3 from the computer w/o loading the song into iTunes every time. I find that annoying. Also, when I loaded my songs into iTunes 3 from a fresh install it took me about 20 or 30 minutes to figure out why all my songs were being copied to somewhere else. Get rid of the Greg Dan manage songs option, or at least have it off upon start. I keep my music neatly organized already. :rolleyes:

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
well when i meant:
apple should bring in a special plugin or something so that u dont have to waste any (or very very lil) cpu while itunes is running, instead of itunes running in dock, a small itunes icon in the apple bar and u click on the small icon and a drop down list shows up and there'dd be stuff like "select folder" (for selecting folder to play songs (like a "music" folder)), "play", "stop", "next", "back", "pause" and "open itunes"..
but itunes does need more features but the rating system idea and the new playlist idea for itunes3 idea are both now featured in wmp9 also..

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I agree with all the ideas for iTunes 4 but my biggest beef is organization.

I want to see subfolders for Albums and Artists. I also want ways to keep Soundtracks together when they are ripped and put on the hard drive. Currently iTunes organizes your MP3s on your hard drive by artist this means that you end up with Sound Tracks scattered to the 4 winds. I wish OSX had the feature that XP has in that you can organize a folder with sound files in it by the ID3 information. This means you can organize your songs by Album, Song Title, Song Time, etc..

Also as far as I can determing iTunes will only burn your MP3s as single files not in Folders. This does me absolutely no good with my MP3 player in my car. I like to be able to pick my album in the car and the only way to organize by album is to have all the songs from the album in a folder.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I'd like some
new visuals,
new equalisers
less CPU
control from the menu
playing music without having it on, built into the system
support for aac/mpg4 , and ogg
video clip support,

some free songs to boot

no much :d

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Location Based Profiles

Almost all of my tunes are mounted from Network storage (15Gb of MP3 and a 10Gb drive). What I want is some way of telling iTunes that a set of songs is only available in a given location so as when I am elsewhere it does not attempt to play any of them (even better does not show them).

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
>robbieduncan

just realized, you must be on a laptop.

anyways, I don't like how one user can import music, then any body else can not "see" that album, without impoting it themselves

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
Expanding on Robbie's idea, Audion has something called "active playlists?" I think. Anyways, I would love it if every time iTunes started up it would automatically scan the music folder and create it's database from that. This way if I add songs on 1 computer and then my laptop (which uses the same shared folder for mp3's) was fired up it would automatically pick up the changes.

I want Lame built in

I want more speed and less cpu utilization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.