Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
O2 UK uses a compression on all images, which should make pages load quicker but the compression system is a little slow and sometimes slow things down because of the lowered 3G speeds (This only applies to downloads only. This should not affect upload speed). This can sometimes make a big difference.

O2 does have a bypass APN, which all pay monthly subscribers can use instead at no extra cost. They obviously keep this quiet.

Using my method, tethering also still works. (Please note the APN file was not created by me. It was made by Unlockit.co.nz)

But first here is my evidence:

iPhone 4S Speed test before bypassing compression:
photo12n.png

photo23.png

iPhone 4S Speed test after bypassing compression:
photo22.png

photour.png

You can clearly see that my download speeds are far better in exactly the same location without the data compression.

Here is tethering also working without the data compression (Changing the APN manually removed the tethering option)
photo31.png

To download the profile go to https://rapidshare.com/files/885584186/settings__3_.mobileconfig

You should then get a install profile page popup (Mentioning something to do with mobile.o2.co.uk). Click install and type in your pass code if you have one.

photo1k.png

You should then see some sort of confirmation message. This is all you need to do.

Should you want to remove this. Go into Settings, General and the profile. Select O2 (Bypass) and click remove.

I hope this helps any O2 users get faster 3G speeds on the network. Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:

Woomy123

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks this worked a treat I'm now getting like 7-8mb :)

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    318.5 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Any idea if this will work on Giffgaff?

Giffgaff will have a similar APN I'd imagine. Contact an agent.

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks this worked a treat I'm now getting like 7-8mb :)

Glad to see it works :D

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
it changes the apn to

apn: mobile.o2.co.uk
username: bypass
password: password

You are free to change this yourself in settings > network

I would leave visual voicemail as idata.* and MMS as idata.* to keep them working... as does this profile.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
it changes the apn to

apn: mobile.o2.co.uk
username: bypass
password: password

You are free to change this yourself in settings > network

I would leave visual voicemail as idata.* and MMS as idata.* to keep them working... as does this profile.

Doing it that way stops tethering.

Etiene

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2011
Amsterdam
Only a very slight gain in speed here, but it seemed to change my location to a different server so that may have affected it. I've disabled it for now.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Certinfy said:
Any idea if this will work on Giffgaff?

Did you find this out?

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Did you find this out?
Comes up with some error when trying to download the file. :(

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
The first link works fine you just need to turn off wifi before you click on it.

mattkowalski

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2010
Was a little sceptical that this would work, but my speed jumped from 1.3Mbps to 3.2Mbps in the middle of London.

Edit: Or even 4.13Mbps!

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Sorry, I'm slightly skeptical. Why should we trust someone enough to download carrier settings files, especially from a source "unlockit.co.nz". This isn't even a UK source, nor has it come from O2 officially. If O2 offer this at no extra cost, then surely I can phone O2 and request the settings be sent to my phone?

Sorry again, but I take my privacy very seriously and I'm not installing some plug in from God knows where onto my iPhone to get faster 3G data speeds, unless I know just how legit and genuine the source is.

mattkowalski

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2010
Sorry, I'm slightly skeptical. Why should we trust someone enough to download carrier settings files, especially from a source "unlockit.co.nz". This isn't even a UK source, nor has it come from O2 officially. If O2 offer this at no extra cost, then surely I can phone O2 and request the settings be sent to my phone?

Sorry again, but I take my privacy very seriously and I'm not installing some plug in from God knows where onto my iPhone to get faster 3G data speeds, unless I know just how legit and genuine the source is.

Fair enough, I felt the same way. It's not actually a plug-in; just an XML-format file containing settings. I actually opened up the config file on my PC first and took a look at the contents before installing it and testing it. Feel free to do the same.

Although in the end, I actually used this http://www.iphone-notes.de/mobileconfig to create my own config file (using APN: mobile.o2.co.uk / username: bypass / password: password). Then I downloaded the file, made a few changes to it (name, description etc) and installed it on my iPhone.

I *highly* doubt that O2 would help you set this up, or that it is officially supported. A quick web search reveals no mention of this outside forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.