Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Lankyman
macrumors 6502a

iPad 2 - tabs reluctant to close?

Does anyone find that tabs with Safari iPad 2 can sometimes be difficult to close? I regularly have three to four tabs open on the iPad yet when I tap the X to close them they often stubbornly refuse to close. The model is the 32gig Wifi only version, about month old with all the latest updates, virtually devoid of clutter, only four apps so far etc.
Lankyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 05:08 PM   #2
krawfo
macrumors member

I'll be watching the answer to this post. I was just searching for an answer to exactly the same thing.
krawfo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Ashwood11
macrumors 65816

I find that sometimes when I mean to touch one link I accidentally touch another. I must have big fingers.
Ashwood11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:00 PM   #4
iPutz
macrumors member

I've had that happen also. I think Safari is waiting for content to be downloaded from a website. Might be an ad server that's running slow. Once all the content appears, the tab can be closed.
iPutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:22 AM   #5
Lankyman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPutz View Post
I've had that happen also. I think Safari is waiting for content to be downloaded from a website. Might be an ad server that's running slow. Once all the content appears, the tab can be closed.
Sadly that's not the case with mine as the tab may well have been open for ages.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:28 PM   #6
FrannyK
macrumors newbie

I know, right???

Not being able to close tabs in Safari on iPad2 has been driving me crazy! My father has complained about this for the past two months, since he got the iPad2 for his 80th birthday. We thought it was just him/his fingers maybe unsteady. Then I got an iPad2 for Xmas and have the same problem. Oddly, I discovered by mistake, if you tap just to the left of the "x" the tab will close. It seems like I'm tapping the edge of the tab to the left of the tab I want to close if that makes sense. Try it, it works! I don't know why this is "off" and tapping directly on the "x" doesn't work??? I googled this problem and I assume it's not very common because I really couldn't find anything on it. So I was happy to see this post and be able to respond
FrannyK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Lankyman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyK View Post
Not being able to close tabs in Safari on iPad2 has been driving me crazy! My father has complained about this for the past two months, since he got the iPad2 for his 80th birthday. We thought it was just him/his fingers maybe unsteady. Then I got an iPad2 for Xmas and have the same problem. Oddly, I discovered by mistake, if you tap just to the left of the "x" the tab will close. It seems like I'm tapping the edge of the tab to the left of the tab I want to close if that makes sense. Try it, it works! I don't know why this is "off" and tapping directly on the "x" doesn't work??? I googled this problem and I assume it's not very common because I really couldn't find anything on it. So I was happy to see this post and be able to respond
Will give it a try - I have had some success by holding my finger with a little pressure on the cross for around 10 - 15 seconds, it sometimes does the job. I have to say though that given an option Safari would not be my browser of choice. I rarely use it on my iMac though obviously lose the benefit of gestures. There again I don't use Magic Mouse much as it devours batteries whereas my Logitech lasts for months and months.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 02:26 AM   #8
Phil Champ
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyK View Post
Yes, I too discovered after months of frustration that you can close tabs by tapping the left edge. It looks like a bug to me.
Phil Champ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting