Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 27, 2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Madgirl1801
macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro won't recognize Android Phone

My new Macbook Pro w/ OS X Lion won't recognize my android phone. However my windows PC will.

The error i get is this "the inserted disk can not be read by this computer".

Does anyone know what may be wrong? Is there any way that I can connect my android phone to my macbook pro so that I can transfer pictures?
Madgirl1801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Spencer Reynen
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgirl1801 View Post
My new Macbook Pro w/ OS X Lion won't recognize my android phone. However my windows PC will.

Does anyone know what may be wrong? Is there any way that I can connect my android phone to my macbook pro so that I can transfer pictures?
Bluetooth. Its not like Android phones are just going to show up in finder.
Spencer Reynen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:52 PM   #3
ObuckiO
macrumors regular

Maybe I helped

Quote:

It might be in the USB cable. I thought just because my charger was USB it would work, but no. I ran into this with other phones too. Verizon had just the cord. The Droid only comes with a charger cord...I think Windows computer's are more universal with adaptors though.
ObuckiO is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:59 PM   #4
vitzr
macrumors 68030

The Solution

All three of my Android phones connect with my MBP just fine.

Make sure the phone's "connect to PC" setting is set to either Disk Drive or Media Sync then connect it to your Mac.

You may need to restart the computer if it doesn't recognize the phone immediately.
vitzr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Madgirl1801
macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro won't recognize android phone

I restarted my computer and tried a different USB cable but that didn't work.

However, when I changed the USB setting on my Android phone from Mass Storage to Media Sync, My Macbook now recognizes my phone.

Thanks a lot!!!
Madgirl1801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:49 PM   #6
snazzyiphoneguy
Banned

thats cause apple no likeky google
snazzyiphoneguy is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:54 PM   #7
thundersteele
macrumors 68030

Maybe your phone is infringing on some Apple patents... that's why the MBP rejects it

PS: I have an Android phone Honestly right now I'm not sure if I ever connected it to the MBP.
thundersteele is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:34 PM   #8
SurferMan
macrumors 65816

My GSII mounts fine on my Mac, I go to settings --> wireless & network --> USB utilities --> turn on mass storage .... then plug the usb in and it mounts as a drive and shows up on the desktop.

If that doesn't work for you not sure what's wrong

edit:
Quote:
I restarted my computer and tried a different USB cable but that didn't work.

However, when I changed the USB setting on my Android phone from Mass Storage to Media Sync, My Macbook now recognizes my phone.

Thanks a lot!!!
haha... disregard my post above, I didn't see this one lol
SurferMan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 02:20 AM   #9
MaryRisto
macrumors newbie

To transfer music from Mac and Android, you may try to follow the guide below.
Step 1: Install Android File Transfer on your Mac computer (OS X 10.5 or later). This application will let you transfer files between your Mac and your Android device (Android 3.0 or later).

Step 2: Enable USB Mass Storage mode on your Android. To do so, go to Settings > More (under Wireless and network) > USB utilities > Set USB cable connection mode. Then, select “Connect storage to PC.”

Step 3: At this point, you will be prompted to “Connect your USB cable to use mass storage.” Using the USB cable that came with your Android device, connect your device to your Mac.

Step 4: Now that your devices are connected, double-click Android File Transfer on your Mac to open it.

Step 5: Using Finder on your Mac, navigate to your Android device, which will be on your desktop. Open another Finder window anywhere on your Mac — most likely your Music folder, for the purpose of this tutorial. Now, you can drag-and-drop to files from one device to the other, copy-and-paste them, or whatever else you want. You can also delete files from your Android to make room for more stuff.

Last edited by MaryRisto; Apr 27, 2014 at 10:42 PM.
MaryRisto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2014, 04:47 AM   #10
theromz
macrumors regular

I just use Android File Transfer and enable usb debugging, works just fine.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro