Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:19 AM   #1
mpetersen3
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Can the iPhone 4 run without battery?

My iPhone 4 has stopped turning on. I am trying to diagnose the cause of the problem. Holding home+power appears to do little, even after charging. I have taken the battery out (just in case this was an issue with the software being stuck in a bad state, although the screen looks visibly off).

I am wondering if it is possible to run the iPhone 4 without the battery through the cable only? (this has not worked for me but I am trying to narrow down the problem and this would eliminate the battery from the suspect list and leave the logic board). Does anyone have any experience troubleshooting these beyond swapping the charger, trying DFU mode and holding home/power?
Thanks,
M
mpetersen3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:48 AM   #2
nebo1ss
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
My iPhone 4 has stopped turning on. I am trying to diagnose the cause of the problem. Holding home+power appears to do little, even after charging. I have taken the battery out (just in case this was an issue with the software being stuck in a bad state, although the screen looks visibly off).

I am wondering if it is possible to run the iPhone 4 without the battery through the cable only? (this has not worked for me but I am trying to narrow down the problem and this would eliminate the battery from the suspect list and leave the logic board). Does anyone have any experience troubleshooting these beyond swapping the charger, trying DFU mode and holding home/power?
Thanks,
M
There is a very good chance it is nothing more than the power switch at the top. There is a very high failure rate on these switches.

Mine failed as well and I cannot turn it off or put the phone in DFU mode. I intend to do the repair myself when I get around to it but if my phone was to go off I would not be able to turn it back on, and would be in the same position as you.
nebo1ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Brad02
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
There is a very good chance it is nothing more than the power switch at the top. There is a very high failure rate on these switches.

Mine failed as well and I cannot turn it off or put the phone in DFU mode. I intend to do the repair myself when I get around to it but if my phone was to go off I would not be able to turn it back on, and would be in the same position as you.
Your phone should turn itself on even if the switch is broken if you hook it up to a charger and its in the off state.

My iPhone 4 had an issue where the phone was on but the screen was just blank. Do you see anything on the screen at all (Apple boot logo)? Have you tried calling it while it was in the "off" state. My phone would ring but the screen was just dead. I could do a DFU mode restore and the screen would start to work again but only go out a day or so later. Really weird issue. Apple store swapped it no questions asked luckily.
Brad02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Gav2k
macrumors 601
 
Gav2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Op to answer your question, no you cannot run the iPhone without the battery in it, the iPhone does a power up check on boot and part of that process is to check the battery charge level. If the battery is below 5% or not present it will not boot.
__________________
iPad 3 4G 64Gb - iPad 2 3G 64Gb - iPad 3G 32Gb - iPhone 2g 8Gb - iPhone 3g 8Gb - iPhone 3gs 16Gb - iPhone 4 32Gb -iPhone 4s 64Gb - MacBook unibody Alu - mac mini i5 2.5Ghz - mac mini 2Ghz
Gav2k is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:59 PM   #5
mpetersen3
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Thanks for the replies,

It looks like this is likely the battery or the logic board, as it has been plugged in for sometime, but the screen has never come on. Does anyone know if the iphone 4 and 4s have the same battery? My friend has the 4s and i am thinking of testing his battery in mine, if that is the case.
mpetersen3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:47 AM   #6
stu.h
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: West Midlands, England.
Your friend will let you invalidate his warranty just so you can check your battery?

Anyway, no, they have different connectors.
stu.h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 05:03 PM   #7
carpenter940
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Op to answer your question, no you cannot run the iPhone without the battery in it, the iPhone does a power up check on boot and part of that process is to check the battery charge level. If the battery is below 5% or not present it will not boot.
I came to this website because I was interested in this question. I repair Ipods sometimes and I came across a second generation touch that while the battery was removed it still booted when hooked up to a sync cable. Other than being haunted, what could be the cause of this? shorted somewhere?
carpenter940 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:48 PM   #8
roritor
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Op to answer your question, no you cannot run the iPhone without the battery in it, the iPhone does a power up check on boot and part of that process is to check the battery charge level. If the battery is below 5% or not present it will not boot.
This is actually not true. I have read this in several other places as well. But I am here to tell you that, from many instances of experience, this is not the case.

I have not tried it with iPhone 3G or 3G S as I had no reason to, considering the way it is built (I would have had to specifically re-assemble the iPhone with no battery, as the battery is pretty much the very first part put back into the phone on re-assembly) although now I am curious and will go try it out. With iPhone 4 and 4S, running the phone without the battery is something I do on ocassion when I am doing a repair and I am testing boot/touchscreen, etc. capability without re-assembling the phone. The battery is pretty much the last thing you put back into the phone before sliding the rear, glass backing into place and sealing the phone back up. So, often I don't bother putting in the battery if I'm not done with the job.

It does start with no battery, that's all I can say.




Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter940 View Post
I came to this website because I was interested in this question. I repair Ipods sometimes and I came across a second generation touch that while the battery was removed it still booted when hooked up to a sync cable. Other than being haunted, what could be the cause of this? shorted somewhere?
carpenter940, it wasn't haunted. They do boot with no battery as long as they're connected to a power source.
roritor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:57 AM   #9
enanphi
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ph
Send a message via Yahoo to enanphi
i have tried switching my iphone 4 without the battery it turns on but no wifi & bluetooth, as well no simcard... after 5-8mins it will shutdown...
enanphi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:15 PM   #10
h4lp m3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Orleans
Question delete me

delete
__________________
Hal leta puta pardeglea Macarena, HEEEEY Macarena! !!!

Last edited by h4lp m3; Jul 30, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
h4lp m3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:52 AM   #11
jpr12
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
iPhone 4 run and function w/no battery... just connected to usb?

My iPhone 4 was wet. After drying it will not start and battery does not seem to charge. It will start up in recovery mode when connected by usb to xp pc w/itunes. When itunes attempts to re-install software, it errors after about several min into the recovery, after initializing the setup software on the pc.

I am trying to determine if it might be just the battery. Does anyone know if iPhone can go through the recovery process without a functioning battery; connected to usb?



Quote:
Originally Posted by roritor View Post
This is actually not true. I have read this in several other places as well. But I am here to tell you that, from many instances of experience, this is not the case.

I have not tried it with iPhone 3G or 3G S as I had no reason to, considering the way it is built (I would have had to specifically re-assemble the iPhone with no battery, as the battery is pretty much the very first part put back into the phone on re-assembly) although now I am curious and will go try it out. With iPhone 4 and 4S, running the phone without the battery is something I do on ocassion when I am doing a repair and I am testing boot/touchscreen, etc. capability without re-assembling the phone. The battery is pretty much the last thing you put back into the phone before sliding the rear, glass backing into place and sealing the phone back up. So, often I don't bother putting in the battery if I'm not done with the job.

It does start with no battery, that's all I can say.






carpenter940, it wasn't haunted. They do boot with no battery as long as they're connected to a power source.
jpr12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 03:23 PM   #12
lundoeer
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Can the iPhone 4 run without battery?

I try to repair a iPhone 4 that had water. First I dried it and tried it, I saw the mainscreen until the battery was empty. It was not so long because the battery went down from 8% to 0% even with the charger on. I then cleaned the motherboard and tried it. It is still not able to charge the battery, but when the charger is attatched, I can get to menu with the 4 digit code and it calls for Itunes . Thats all. I can not do a recover in any way. Get the error 1602 or 3194.
Is my battery dead, Is the charging cirqurit dead, or is the mainboard faulty? And is it causing me not to do a restore?
Any way to charge the battery outside the phone with a lab power supply?
Thanks.
lundoeer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:19 AM   #13
lundoeer
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
After charging the battery outside the phone I am now able to start the Iphone 4. Everythings works but there is a shortage that drains the battery, even when the phone is complete off.
lundoeer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 09:22 PM   #14
pennystone
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
I have exactly the same symptons (except for shortage) after a water accident. No charging, working fine with a charged battery. Any progress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundoeer View Post
After charging the battery outside the phone I am now able to start the Iphone 4. Everythings works but there is a shortage that drains the battery, even when the phone is complete off.
pennystone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to run the Verge Battery Test nariza7 MacBook Air 5 Jul 18, 2013 01:23 PM
Run off battery or PSU? Spikeywan MacBook Pro 15 Jan 3, 2013 05:34 PM
How often do you run your Macbook on its battery? Woodcrest64 MacBook Pro 1 Nov 23, 2012 10:42 PM
Fastest way to run down iPhone battery? tymaster50 iPhone 25 Oct 28, 2012 03:40 PM
Is it bad to always run down the battery to 0? DrewQuinz iPhone 4 Oct 17, 2012 10:43 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC