Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Lloydos
macrumors newbie

Apple Tv2

Hi there guys, first of all im new! Hello from Birmingham, England.
I am here looking for a little answer that i can seem to find anywhere on the net.

First of all the equipment i have is as follows;

> Macbook Pro (the machine i use mostly)
> Imac g5
> Iphone 4s
> Apple Tv2
> 2 x 1TB sata HD

Basically the imac is at home at the parents and the rest of the bits are here at my girlfriends until we move in together this is how it will stay.

What i am wanting to do it free up the space on my Macbook Pro's HD and put the movies and music somewhere else (bar some items i will want on the move) Is there anyway you can put all this information on say a Apple time capsule and stream it to my apple tv without the use of any computers involved? If not is there a network HD that allows it or a item that could utilise the two TB of hd's that i have lying about?

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Lloyd
Lloydos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:16 AM   #2
theSeb
macrumors 603

There is no way to remove the computer running iTunes from the equation, unless you jailbreak the ATV2 and run XBMC on it. You could then use XBMC and connect it a NAS device.

Last edited by theSeb; Dec 28, 2011 at 03:12 PM.
theSeb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:53 AM   #3
slothrob
macrumors 6502

There's no reason that you can't put the content on an external hard drive and just have iTunes running on the MacBook, though.
slothrob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:39 PM   #4
convergent
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeb View Post
There is no way to remove the computer running iTunes from the equation, unless your jailbreak the ATV2 and run XBMC on it. You could then use XBMC and connect it a NAS device.
XBMC is not necessary. If you get ATV Flash Black then it now has a built in media player that works great. Still requires a jailbreak, but they supply the instructions.
convergent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Lloydos
macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for all the replies, although im not too sure i want to get into jailbreaking the device just yet as i have had experience with doing it only to my past iphone's which only seemed to slow them down dramatically and make them crash all the time is this the same with the Atv.

I dont really want to have my macbook on all the time for the movies to work though so i guess this is the only option. Unless the ethernet on the back of the atv or micro usb can be plugged into a hd enclosure?? Im new to all this lol

Is there any Network enclosures for 2 x 1TB 3.5 sata drives that you can think of. I have owned a sata enclosure and it was really really noisy so a nice small quiet one would be cool.

Cheers

Lloyd
Lloydos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 08:02 AM   #6
convergent
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydos View Post
Hi thanks for all the replies, although im not too sure i want to get into jailbreaking the device just yet as i have had experience with doing it only to my past iphone's which only seemed to slow them down dramatically and make them crash all the time is this the same with the Atv.

I dont really want to have my macbook on all the time for the movies to work though so i guess this is the only option. Unless the ethernet on the back of the atv or micro usb can be plugged into a hd enclosure?? Im new to all this lol

Is there any Network enclosures for 2 x 1TB 3.5 sata drives that you can think of. I have owned a sata enclosure and it was really really noisy so a nice small quiet one would be cool.

Cheers

Lloyd
I've not had any problems with jailbreaking the ATV2. I bought the Firecore ATV Flash Black which gives you the additional "stuff" you want along with instructions for the jailbreak. I've not had any stability problems. Keep in mind that the ATV2 is a lot simpler device than an iPhone and you don't really run apps on it. While you can run XBMC or Plex on it after a jailbreak, I'm not doing that. I'm just running the included Media Player that lets me access all my media on my NAS. It works great and is super easy to use and configure.
convergent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:42 PM   #7
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydos View Post

No the ethernet port on the ATV2 is only for network access, and the micro USB is only useable for connecting to a computer running iTunes to restore or jailbreak the ATV2.

I don't know about specific NAS enclosures.

If you do get your HDDs into an NAS enclosure, then yes you can jailbreak your ATV2 and either use XBMC (free) or Firecores' ATV Flash Black ($30 U.S.) to stream directly from the NAS without your computer on.

As for stability of a jailbroken ATV2: I have had my ATV2 jailbroken for the past 4 months and it has not crashed once. The only jailbreak feature I use is XBMC, which allows me to watch Hulu on my ATV2 via the Hulu plugin in the Bluecop repository.

Besides, if you do jailbreak and find it buggy or unstable (though that has not been my experience), you can always "restore" to factory settings to unjailbreak it. There's really not much risk involved with jailbreaking the ATV2.
dgalvan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater