Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

intel_ivy_bridge_chip_promo-150x130.jpg

Earlier this month, leaked information suggested that Intel's next-generation mobile Ivy Bridge processors would debut in May, with a few models perhaps becoming available in April. The mobile Ivy Bridge processors are expected to be used in Apple's MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac mini lines.

A new report from Digitimes indicates, however, that the first Ivy Bridge processors may launch as early as April 8th, with both the mobile processors and desktop processors such as those used in the iMac debuting around the same timeframe.
Desktop CPUs to be unveiled include quad-core Core i7-3770K, 3770, 3770S, 3770T, and Core i5-3570, 3550 and 3450, with prices ranging from US$184-332. Additionally, the Core i5-3470T will be available in May priced at US$184. [...]

Notebook CPUs Core i7-3920Qm, 3820QM and 3720QM will be released in April priced at US$1,096, US$568 and US$378, respectively. Other models including Core i5-3520M, 3360M, 3320M and ultrabook CPUs Core i7-3667U and Core i5-3427U will be unveiled later.
While the report also appears to confuse chipsets being released at the same time with the processors themselves, information on specific processor models does help offer some picture of what Apple might be able to accomplish in terms of updated machines.

The 3820QM and 3720QM processors in particular appear to be the natural successors to Apple's current processor options in the high-end 15" and 17" MacBook Pro models. Apple's upgrade route in many other cases is less clear given the company's propensity to use custom-produced chips and a limited first wave of Ivy Bridge processors. The Core i7-3667U and Core i5-3427U processors appear to be the only processors in the initial wave of Ivy Bridge processors to meet the thermal design requirements for the MacBook Air, with those processors apparently set for the later May debut.

Apple has been rumored to be launching a new 15" MacBook Pro with "Retina" display technology in the second quarter of 2012, matching the Ivy Bridge launch timeline. A new 15" MacBook Air has also been rumored alongside an update for the rest of the line in the first quarter of 2012. But with the appropriate Ivy Bridge processors apparently not debuting until May, it is unclear how Apple would meet this timeline.

Article Link: Ivy Bridge Processors Launching as Early as April 8?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Hopefully the next Mac mini lineup will still include at least one model with a dedicated GPU.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Great news. Looking forward to replacing my 2008 unibody MacBook Pro this year.
Wishing for a little design update as well.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
In short, just over 3 months behind schedule, instead of 4?

Not sure if it is as much behind schedule or Intel dragged it out for lack of any competition and the overall modest growth in the PC market, but the result is the same.

I hope that Intel fixed the 24p glitch in the hardware h.264 encode/decode silicon.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
What does "released" mean when it comes to processors? Available in retail? Available for sale to computer manufacturers like Apple? Or does it mean said manufacturers are on that date allowed to release products containing those processors?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
What does "released" mean when it comes to processors? Available in retail? Available for sale to computer manufacturers like Apple? Or does it mean said manufacturers are on that date allowed to release products containing those processors?
You will probably see a lot of Ivy Bridge based hardware at CES. April means retail availability and give or two a few weeks from OEM vendors.

Ivy Bridge is going to launch with Core i5 and i7 models first on the desktop and the same with notebooks. Though the notebook launch leans more toward quad cores.

Now if we could learn some more about Trinity.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
In short, just over 3 months behind schedule, instead of 4?

I don't think Intel ever said that Ivy Bridge would be available in January 2012, hence nothing is late.

Ivy Bridge is going to launch with Core i5 and i7 models first on the desktop and the same with notebooks. Though the notebook launch leans more toward quad cores.

Quad core = April
Dual core = May

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I've been waiting for the Ivy Bridge refresh in hopes of getting a new design, and more power before I buy a MBP. The sooner this thing launches the better!

JDB1983

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2009
What does this mean for possible new iMac release dates?

Would you expect Apple to release new iMac before/at the same time/after the new CPUs?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Would you expect Apple to release new iMac before/at the same time/after the new CPUs?

Shortly after.

I don't think this is a "pro level" processor, maybe they will have to make a 3D transistor Xeon or Xeon replacement first?

The CPUs that will be released in April-May are consumer grade. Sandy Bridge E was released only about a month ago and the Xeon variants are not even available yet. Hence Ivy Bridge E is either Q4'12 or Q1'13, most likely the latter.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Shortly after.

The CPUs that will be released in April-May are consumer grade. Sandy Bridge E was released only about a month ago and the Xeon variants are not even available yet. Hence Ivy Bridge E is either Q4'12 or Q1'13, most likely the latter.

Xeon rumors are for the same time frame, April/May. For those that are looking for a Mac Pro, these will be Sandy Bridge not Ivy Bridge and Octo core.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
damn, and im going to get an iMac in a couple weeks. oh well, i need it

Somebody get the Pracitcal Police. FcknFrank is being too well grounded with his decision. Quick, turn up the reality distortion field and make him want to wait for the next best thing!

P.S. Glad to see a new member that's reasonable and not shouting "how could apple do this to me?!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.