Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:57 PM   #1
J Griz 757
macrumors regular

Just bought iFix's Glowing Apple Mod for my 4s, anyone else getting one?

Got the white one.

Just curious as to how many will be doing the mod really.

It seems very easy to install as well.

Here's the link for anyone interested:

http://www.ifixdirect.com/products/i...-glowing-apple
Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:24 PM   #2
TheBigKing
macrumors 6502a

u have pics or not yet arrived to u ?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Phone Junky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Griz 757 View Post
Got the white one.

Just curious as to how many will be doing the mod really.

It seems very easy to install as well.

Here's the link for anyone interested:

http://www.ifixdirect.com/products/i...-glowing-apple
Waiting on your review.
Phone Junky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:03 PM   #4
sparkomatic
macrumors 6502a

I bought one and am waiting for it to arrive. Got the white one as well. Will post pics when I get it installed if someone doesn't beat me to it.
sparkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:15 PM   #5
J Griz 757
macrumors regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKing View Post
u have pics or not yet arrived to u ?
Still waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkomatic View Post
I bought one and am waiting for it to arrive. Got the white one as well. Will post pics when I get it installed if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Nice, I will as well.

I'm curious about how easy it will be to connect the lit back to the actual phone to pull power.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone Junky View Post
Waiting on your review.
Hopefully we'll get a few.

I'll make sure to bump this thread, or hopefully whoever gets one before me will with a review.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Resist
macrumors 68030

Why install something that will deplete your battery even sooner?
Resist is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:48 PM   #7
readerbreader
macrumors regular

Just bought one myself...
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:39 PM   #8
J Griz 757
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Why install something that will deplete your battery even sooner?
Because I'm a tool for mods.

Not everyone has terrible battery life.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by readerbreader View Post
Just bought one myself...
Nice. Black/White?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:32 PM   #9
ohmygahitscoby
macrumors newbie

I ordered mine from KO Gadget. I don't know if they are different from the ones from iFix but it was cheaper (When I ordered it, it was ~$42. Came out to $52 shipped).

http://store.kogadget.com/product.php?id_product=23
ohmygahitscoby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:12 AM   #10
romeo0119
macrumors 6502

I'll wait till the price drop, I'm sure in a couple months some other company will come out w the same thing for cheap, maybe even on eBay
romeo0119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:31 AM   #11
labman
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmygahitscoby View Post
I ordered mine from KO Gadget. I don't know if they are different from the ones from iFix but it was cheaper (When I ordered it, it was ~$42. Came out to $52 shipped).

http://store.kogadget.com/product.php?id_product=23
no longer in stock $79 now
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Ifti
macrumors 65816

I really don't see the point in this....
TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:35 AM   #13
Phone Junky
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
I really don't see the point in this....
It's no different than the apple glowing on a macbook. Is there a point to it? Maybe not, but some people seem to like it. Is there a point to your post? Not really, but you posted anyway.
Phone Junky is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:51 AM   #14
Ifti
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It's no different than the apple glowing on a macbook. Is there a point to it? Maybe not, but some people seem to like it. Is there a point to your post? Not really, but you posted anyway.
MacBook is different. You don't walk around with it stuck to your ear. I wouldn't want to be walking along one evening when it's getting dark, on the phone with a light shining out of the back of it. I may as well hold my phone up and shout 'steal me'.

Nevertheless, whatever takes your fancy. Just because I don't like the look of it, doesn't mean it's the do all and end all. It's my opinion, whether it has a point or not.
TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:51 AM   #15
white4s
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Is there a point to your post? Not really, but you posted anyway.
lol classic
white4s is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:21 PM   #16
J Griz 757
macrumors regular

Quote:
MacBook is different. You don't walk around with it stuck to your ear. I wouldn't want to be walking along one evening when it's getting dark, on the phone with a light shining out of the back of it. I may as well hold my phone up and shout 'steal me'.

Nevertheless, whatever takes your fancy. Just because I don't like the look of it, doesn't mean it's the do all and end all. It's my opinion, whether it has a point or not.

Whether or not a iPhone has a light on the back, it is a target for theft around the globe. Any Apple product is.

Simply owning a Apple product is like shouting "Steal me".
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:14 PM   #17
Phone Junky
macrumors regular

Quote:
I wouldn't want to be walking along one evening when it's getting dark, on the phone with a light shining out of the back of it. I may as well hold my phone up and shout 'steal me'.
Just got back from the gun range and read your response. "You want my iPhone punk? Go ahead, make my day."
Phone Junky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:29 PM   #18
newone757
macrumors regular

Quote:

Hold your phone so that your hand covers the logo, problem solved. Or is it? Im sure someone willing to snatch a phone out of your hand on a dark street while your talking really doesnt care, they will snatch whatever (flip phone, blackberry, whatever) and figure out what they stole later. I think theyd be more interested in robbing you for cash anyway, if you are going to rob someone, you take it ALL
newone757 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:48 PM   #19
Ifti
macrumors 65816

Guess that's true also. Point taken
TC / Lacie TB2 20TB
Ifti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:55 PM   #20
J Griz 757
macrumors regular

Just talked to iFix today, my back should be shipped within 7 days.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:26 PM   #21
Resist
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Griz 757 View Post
Not everyone has terrible battery life.
Never said they did. While yes this mod looks cool, I'm not digging an additional drain on the battery.
Resist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:23 AM   #22
DeLoMan
macrumors regular

Looks like iFix is canceling all orders for this.

"Dear customers,

We regret to tell you that our purchasing department has put a recall on all iPhone 4 Light Up Logo Mod back covers due to some concerns that were raised. Our primary concern is that KO Gadget (Our original supplier) has refused to sell the parts to us due to another anonymous supplier obtaining sole selling rights in the US. The current supplier is listed with KO Gadget and you can purchase directly from them. Our company has found Ko Gadgets ethics unprofessional as we have been in touch with them since their first publication.*

With this in mind, we also regret to tell you that there has been a few tests we performed with a similar concept (tapping into the LCD to power the light) and the results were not as positive as we expected. Battery drainage is common, fading of the LCD may be possible. This does not refer to the KO Gadget product line-up as they are using a different module so these issues may or may not arise. There has also been rumors that by tapping into the LCD power, you may also short circuit your logic board.*

We are working right now as we speak to develop a light up module that does not tap into the LCD, rather than the battery it self. This will most evidently provide even power distribution and prevent from any short circuiting or permanent damage to your iPhone 4/S. We are keeping in touch with our current factories in Shenzen on development of this product and more news will be posted.

All of the orders that were purchased were never debited to our accounts, they are pending transactions and all of them will be released today back to your card. It will take between 2-3 days for the money to reflect on your account. Each one of our customers who has already ordered the light-up mod will also get a $15 gift card for all the inconvenience this may have caused you.*

We believe in our customers and our brand therefore we want you to have only the best modification products out there. Many of you have shopped with us before and know that quality and customer satisfaction is our primary concern. With this said, we will be working to create a solution that can work without affecting any components of the iPhone 4/S.*

iFixDirect Support Team"
DeLoMan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:31 AM   #23
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLoMan View Post

"Dear customers,

We regret to tell you that our purchasing department has put a recall on all iPhone 4 Light Up Logo Mod back covers due to some concerns that were raised. Our primary concern is that KO Gadget (Our original supplier) has refused to sell the parts to us due to another anonymous supplier obtaining sole selling rights in the US. The current supplier is listed with KO Gadget and you can purchase directly from them. Our company has found Ko Gadgets ethics unprofessional as we have been in touch with them since their first publication.*

With this in mind, we also regret to tell you that there has been a few tests we performed with a similar concept (tapping into the LCD to power the light) and the results were not as positive as we expected. Battery drainage is common, fading of the LCD may be possible. This does not refer to the KO Gadget product line-up as they are using a different module so these issues may or may not arise. There has also been rumors that by tapping into the LCD power, you may also short circuit your logic board.*

We are working right now as we speak to develop a light up module that does not tap into the LCD, rather than the battery it self. This will most evidently provide even power distribution and prevent from any short circuiting or permanent damage to your iPhone 4/S. We are keeping in touch with our current factories in Shenzen on development of this product and more news will be posted.

All of the orders that were purchased were never debited to our accounts, they are pending transactions and all of them will be released today back to your card. It will take between 2-3 days for the money to reflect on your account. Each one of our customers who has already ordered the light-up mod will also get a $15 gift card for all the inconvenience this may have caused you.*

We believe in our customers and our brand therefore we want you to have only the best modification products out there. Many of you have shopped with us before and know that quality and customer satisfaction is our primary concern. With this said, we will be working to create a solution that can work without affecting any components of the iPhone 4/S.*

iFixDirect Support Team"
Hmm could it be apple? maybe a feature on the iPhone 5?? Just starting crap
Arnezie is online now   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:19 PM   #24
sparkomatic
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLoMan View Post
Interesting. I got mine direct through KO Gadget so we'll see what happens there. Status shows it still hasn't shipped yet.
sparkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 06:26 PM   #25
rleepremier
macrumors member

I also received that email. The funny thing is they say "With this in mind, we also regret to tell you that there has been a few tests we performed with a similar concept (tapping into the LCD to power the light) and the results were not as positive as we expected. Battery drainage is common, fading of the LCD may be possible. This does not refer to the KO Gadget product line-up as they are using a different module so these issues may or may not arise. There has also been rumors that by tapping into the LCD power, you may also short circuit your logic board.*"

But they were selling it and knew about these problems but forgot to mention it until they couldn't sell it anymore. Oh also they're all about quality so stay tuned for a light mod that they make. Lmao
rleepremier is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories