Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
well the title says it all, my girlfriend and me both just got an white ipod touch 32 gb but mine is black and hers is white, her ipod colors look better than mine:confused:
hers look more natural and less washed than mine and hers don have as poor viewing angles as mine!:mad::(:confused:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
That shouldn't be the case. Besides the color, they are exactly the same device. It might just be that she got a different screen brand. Apple has many sources of screens so she might have just got one, while you got the other.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The white boarder adds to the illusion too

BlizzardBolt

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2011
Mariana Trench
Screens are the same

If anything the white bezel makes it uncomfortable to view the iPod for a long time, long games or movies.

Check laptops and computers, the bezels are black or dark in some color, this is the contrast that most people are used to.

omegaphil6

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
the white ipods do have better screens... totally different part altogether.

Technically the black ipods are just 4th Gen iPod Touches, while the white ipods are 5th Gen.

Not sure why anyone would buy a black iPod Touch at this point.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

Technically the black ipods are just 4th Gen iPod Touches, while the white ipods are 5th Gen.

I think Apple is classifying them as just "late 2011" iPods as opposed to "5th generation". Yeah it's a color that wasn't available when the black 4th gen was released in 2010, but I don't think a device that has the exact same internals and just a different color bezel classifies as a whole new generation.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010

They are identical in parts other than the color. The black ones being sold today were made at the same time as the white ones unless you just happened to get one that had been sitting around on a shelf for months. And the special laminate they put on the white ones that helps to keep the white color from turning yellow in time...which also renders the white models hard to use outdoors while wearing sunglasses (polarized lenses).

There is not such thing as a 5th Gen iPod Touch at this point. Apple hasn't made one yet. A different color case doesn't make the white a 5th generation LOL.

omegaphil6

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
I have both white and black "late 2011" models and the white model looks and feels better. I opened them both up and the inards are completely different.

Sorry to say it, but the white model is a newer model.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I have both white and black "late 2011" models and the white model looks and feels better. I opened them both up and the inards are completely different.

Sorry to say it, but you are making stuff up on the intrawebs. A white and black iPod Touch that rolls off the assembly line right now are identical other than the case.

And its pretty silly of you to lie about breaking two late 2011 iPods down when its already been done here on these boards and proven that you are, in fact, making stuff up.

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/20/teardown-of-new-ipod-touch-reveals-few-changes-if-any/

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010

since you seem so confident with your "facts" and have anyways opened it up already could you pls share a photo of booth with maybe an explantion to whats different otherwise i call b.s. on your info.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I'll go even one further to show Omega is full of beans....

Two pictures below:

Black iPod 4th Gen teardown:

eHMFrqESei6kXfjF.large

White iPod 4th Gen teardown:

DFhFlBKCdC2KouG3.medium

Show me please where the "inards" (sic) are "completely different" as you've claimed?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
i know this is an old thread but for whomever wants to buy a new ipod touch, i purchased a black and white one friday. The white one definitely had a better screen the white one had a better contrast then the black. so i exchanged the black for a white and now it looks much better.

I recommend buying the white one instead of the black.

who knows it could even be that film that one of the other posters were talking about that makes it look better but there is definitely a difference in quality.

Or it could even be the white boarder around the screen that makes it look better.

Shoot

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
all apple devices use displays from a number of manufacturers. There are slight variances in the displays from these different manufacturers there are also slight variances in displays from the same manufacturer.

The device is not faulty but if you take it to the genius bar you can get it swapped for another. It's not really in the policy & procedure as there's nothing wrong with yours but 99% of genii will replace it. There is also no guarantee that the new one will be any 'better' or 'worse'. And it's much more difficult for them to swap it a second time for no real reason so it's a gamble really.

And jesus, people in this thread are ********ting out of their ears.

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
i have had the black one since it first came out, just recently got a white one, both screens look great, but the black one shows all the fingerprints and grime that gets on the screens, the white one for some reason barely shows any fingerprints or grime, that may have something to do with the screens looking different.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.