Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:40 PM   #1
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Raspberry Pi - $25-35 ARM Linux box w/HDMI

This time it's more of a hobby toy for the developed world (vs. India's Simputer and similar projects). Apparently can play 1080p video and Quake III Arena. It runs off Linux on an SD card (Debian, Fedora, Arch, apparently they want to support Ubuntu but there are Ubuntu/ARM issues at the moment) and a 5v micro-USB adapter (or 4xAA if you string them up yourself). The developers want it in the hands of kids who can use it to learn programming. The $10 upgrade to $35 buys you 128MB additional memory and an ethernet port, but the first run apparently will not have a case.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/12/24/ba...le-in-january/

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureBeat
You might want to hold back on that $600 Mac Mini purchase for just a little bit longer. The Raspberry Pi, the little $25 computer that can run Quake 3 Arena and play HD videos, is scheduled to go into volume production in January. If you want to splurge, you can also pay a $10 premium for the fancy Model B that comes with an ethernet port and 256 instead of 128 MByte RAM.
Sounds like a fun little device, if of questionable utility. Presuming one can find an appropriate Bluetooth driver, the little USB bluetooth dongle like the one I have on my EeeBox should work to make it usable from the couch.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:03 PM   #2
dmr727
macrumors G3

Very awesome! I love projects like this.
dmr727 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:20 PM   #3
stevep
macrumors 6502a

They're auctioning the first run of beta boards on eBay starting tonight (New Years Eve), which probably means that most of the testing stage is over and production boards will be available.

Here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/
stevep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:48 PM   #4
rwilliford
macrumors newbie

I'm excited for this little thing. I just saw a write-up and video on it on Mashable. I think I might just get one to play around with. I think it'd be fun!
rwilliford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:25 PM   #5
gkarris
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
but the first run apparently will not have a case.
Ha ha, neither did Apple's first computer....

Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:01 PM   #6
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

I really like this idea; good learning experience for the beginners; remind me to my first ZX81.

Waiting for the first addon-project building a cluster with it for distributed computing ...
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:36 AM   #7
gkarris
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
I really like this idea; good learning experience for the beginners; remind me to my first ZX81.

Waiting for the first addon-project building a cluster with it for distributed computing ...
Try ZX80...

They should put it in a case and call it a LinuxTV...

Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:15 AM   #8
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
They should put it in a case and call it a LinuxTV...
Maybe someone will start marketing a Mythbuntu product.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:51 PM   #9
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

seeing as this is STILL a current event i thought i would keep this going!

I have heard that there are some big delays in the 1st batch, i was told i would have to wait until May for mine.

Anyone else got one on order?
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:16 AM   #10
sushi
Moderator emeritus

It look really cool. Back to the basics of programming.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:57 PM   #11
0dev
macrumors 68040

I believe these are now for sale in the US! Still a bit tricky to get them the UK last I checked, though, so I await further distribution before I get one to have a bit of fun with
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:05 PM   #12
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
seeing as this is STILL a current event i thought i would keep this going!

I have heard that there are some big delays in the 1st batch, i was told i would have to wait until May for mine.

Anyone else got one on order?
I put in a request but all I've had so far is a couple of generic "coming soon" update emails. Nobody's taken my money yet so I can't complain

Edit: My request is with RS.

Last edited by Nermal; Apr 1, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 02:07 PM   #13
DJTechz
macrumors newbie

I live in the UK and got an email today with my link to buy one. Ordered but have an email saying we will email again "when stock is allocated to your order".
DJTechz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 07:17 PM   #14
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Did it actually ship even in the US?

It looks like there was a bunch of buzz about it at the end of March, and then all shipping went on hold? All I see online are impressions of pre-production units.

Some of the posts also point out that Broadcom is providing SoC and maybe other components at cost, to enable the price. Just for general interest.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 05:56 PM   #15
ppc_michael

Send a message via AIM to ppc_michael
Woah. I'd love to run a LAMP stack on one of those.
ppc_michael is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 07:48 PM   #16
ender land
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
Did it actually ship even in the US?

It looks like there was a bunch of buzz about it at the end of March, and then all shipping went on hold? All I see online are impressions of pre-production units.

Some of the posts also point out that Broadcom is providing SoC and maybe other components at cost, to enable the price. Just for general interest.
I am also interested in buying one but live in the USA - someone let me know if they find a way to order them in the good ole USA
ender land is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2012, 05:00 AM   #17
ghellquist
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender land View Post
I am also interested in buying one but live in the USA - someone let me know if they find a way to order them in the good ole USA
Go to the raspberry pi home page. There you find links to the two worldwide distributors, Farnell and RS14. Both can deliver to USA, more or less everywhere on mother earth.

It might take some time until you have it in your hand though.

Firstly, the deliveries has been delayed due to various snags, compliance testing is one of them. Seems like that is handled now and deliveries will start real soon now. Earlier problems included the factory sourcing wrong type of one of the components.

Secondly, my guess is that the first batch of 10000 units is already chalked up. Worldwide interest seems to be much larger. No word on when next batch can be expected, I guess they are doing their best but I would not hold my breath.

// Gunnar
ghellquist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 05:51 PM   #18
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

thought i might as well dig this up to save a new thread.

Got mine this morning and have spent most of the day with it, I'm going to return it next week.

The device is exceptionally underpowered, not in terms of CPU\GPU but power, I can't run my (lowpower) mouse and KB + internet all at once! and thats with various combos of 2 powered USB hubs!

otherwise the device is impressive, but the above is a deal breaker for me.
charlieegan3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 05:55 PM   #19
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Ordered one a couple of months ago. Looking forward to its arrival.
Old May 25, 2012, 06:01 PM   #20
balamw

Expecting mine the week of 6/18 according to the latest email from Newark/element14.

charlieegan3: What were you using as a power supply for your Raspberry Pi?

B
Old May 26, 2012, 03:33 PM   #21
afd
macrumors 6502a

Mine arrived yesterday, got it started up couldn't try browsing cos wall mounted tv too far from router. Going to try and get a USB wifi dongle and see if that works.
afd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 12:17 PM   #22
sim667
macrumors 65816

I build like little portable personal soundsystems as a hobby, and I was thinking about trying one of these as a media center inside one...... I just need to find like a cheapo 6 inch touchscreen and a media app that will run on one.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:44 PM   #23
notjustjay
macrumors 603

I am looking for a simple device that would turn a TV into something akin to a digital picture frame. Put in a USB stick full of photos and have it display a slideshow out the HDMI port. Something tiny that could stick onto the back of the TV and be pretty much set-and-forget (apply power, instant slideshow) would be ideal. I wonder if something like this would fit the bill...
Old May 29, 2012, 04:15 PM   #24
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
I am looking for a simple device that would turn a TV into something akin to a digital picture frame. Put in a USB stick full of photos and have it display a slideshow out the HDMI port. Something tiny that could stick onto the back of the TV and be pretty much set-and-forget (apply power, instant slideshow) would be ideal. I wonder if something like this would fit the bill...
Functionally you should be able to get it to do just that, but since it comes without a case, etc.. so by the time you added those you could have picked up one of these:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

B
Old May 30, 2012, 11:22 AM   #25
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Functionally you should be able to get it to do just that, but since it comes without a case, etc.. so by the time you added those you could have picked up one of these:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

B
You may be right. But my application requires it to be completely turnkey. Do you know if the WDTV box can be configured to jump to slideshow immediately upon power on?

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events